Pocic is currently the starting center

D-train

Re: Pocic is currently the starting center

Post by D-train » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:50 pm

Maybe Pocic follows Britts career path and center is his best spot.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:12 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:48 pm
I think they want to have depth at oline that doesn't fall off dramatically from the starters.
I think that's guaranteed when the starter and his back-up both stink.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:19 am

here is Smith on the topic, one thing Pocic has going for him is working with Wilson already, the lack of the off season mini-camps is a disadvantage to Finney
With the Seahawks being far more secretive about positional battles - particularly limiting what reporters are allowed to report on depth charts from training camp practice - Carroll didn't offer too many specifics when asked about the ongoing competition, indicating "no deadline" to make a decision has been made.

"It's just a battle," Carroll said. "They're competing like crazy… The competition will just keep going. We've had enough opportunities so far to see that B.J. [Finney] can handle it, and Ethan Pocic can handle it, so it's a good healthy competition… It's a good comp, and we'll call it before too long. No deadline is set yet."

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/gm-repo ... center-yet

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:04 am

What's with the media censorship this season??? I guess they don't care about freedom of the press when it comes to football.

NFL forced Marshawn to talk about nonsense but PC can get away with hiding info that fans are actually interested in?
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:32 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:34 pm
12th man rising's take: This seems like an ugly situation.

https://12thmanrising.com/2020/08/23/se ... ng-center/
I couldn't make sense of this part...
Britt graded at 62, according to Pro Football Focus. This was the 25th highest-graded center for 2019. He was only 45.7 for run-blocking but 66.2 for pass-blocking, however. Britt’s pass-blocking grade was 15th-best among all centers. Britt is still a free agent as he was injured in week 8 of 2019 and missed the rest of the year.

Finney was the 30th highest-graded center in 2019 but in about 130 fewer snaps than Britt. He was Britt’s opposite when he came to pass-blocking (72.0) and run-blocking (52.1), though. Finney was the 15th-best center at pass-blocking.
I assume there were some mistakes in the numbers there.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:31 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:32 pm
D-train wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:34 pm
12th man rising's take: This seems like an ugly situation.

https://12thmanrising.com/2020/08/23/se ... ng-center/
I couldn't make sense of this part...
Britt graded at 62, according to Pro Football Focus. This was the 25th highest-graded center for 2019. He was only 45.7 for run-blocking but 66.2 for pass-blocking, however. Britt’s pass-blocking grade was 15th-best among all centers. Britt is still a free agent as he was injured in week 8 of 2019 and missed the rest of the year.

Finney was the 30th highest-graded center in 2019 but in about 130 fewer snaps than Britt. He was Britt’s opposite when he came to pass-blocking (72.0) and run-blocking (52.1), though. Finney was the 15th-best center at pass-blocking.
I assume there were some mistakes in the numbers there.
Numbers are probably right but they reversed Finney's. 72.0 is likely run blocking and 52.1 is pass blocking. But now seeing they say both were 15th at Pass blocking. At least these guys have the excuse that this isn't their full time job when the make these F ups. lol
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:35 pm

I guess I don't understand how anyone thinks it is a good thing that we gave up what we gave up, for a guy who right now is a backup O Lineman. If the starter was already on the roster, why waste the money? We needed to sign six O Lineman this off season so we had backups? I'm with Pro, I'd have rather drafted a Center and let him battle it out.

And did I really just read that it would be "classic Pete" to let a guy he believes is actually the backup run with the 1s until he proves he can't? Yeah, because why would you want your starters to get starter reps, that just makes no sense. WTF?

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:55 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:35 pm
I guess I don't understand how anyone thinks it is a good thing that we gave up what we gave up, for a guy who right now is a backup O Lineman. If the starter was already on the roster, why waste the money? We needed to sign six O Lineman this off season so we had backups? I'm with Pro, I'd have rather drafted a Center and let him battle it out.

And did I really just read that it would be "classic Pete" to let a guy he believes is actually the backup run with the 1s until he proves he can't? Yeah, because why would you want your starters to get starter reps, that just makes no sense. WTF?
Logic would tell you that being the Center aka the Captain of an O line who you have NEVER played with would require you to maximize the number of reps to form some semblance of cohesion with your new teammates but maybe its like the 1st round "logic" they have employed for almost a decade.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:02 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:55 pm
Logic would tell you that being the Center aka the Captain of an O line who you have NEVER played with would require you to maximize the number of reps to form some semblance of cohesion with your new teammates but maybe its like the 1st round "logic" they have employed for almost a decade.
We have a cycle with our O Line.

Year 1. Line sucks, we are told they need to be together to jell.
Year 2. Line sucks, they get rid of most of them and start over.
Repeat

If playing together, being together is a big deal, then reps with the guys you are expected to play with are a big deal. There is no reason to see Pocic playing with the #1s as anything else but him being the #1 right now. There is zero advantage to a guy sitting who you expect to be the starter, and the fact that a reporter that covers this team call it a "very Pete thing to do" should surprise us. It doesn't.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:21 pm

We don't know who is running with the "1s" now....