dt

D-train

Re: Don't RIP Ken Behring

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:35 pm

dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:40 am

Once again, where were the local business tycoons in all of this? There wasn't a single person in the NW with enough money or interest in sports to buy the Seahwawks? Just like with the damned Sonics. Where was Steve Balmer? Hard to imagine really. And I don't give Nordstrom a pass for believing that Behring was being honest when he promised not to move the team. He should have waited and done some research into the guy or just used some common sense, but apparently he was in a hurry to sell before the bad publicity from the 1987 players strike wreaked havoc on his retail clothing empire (total bs explanation).

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:09 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:40 am
Once again, where were the local business tycoons in all of this? There wasn't a single person in the NW with enough money or interest in sports to buy the Seahwawks? Just like with the damned Sonics. Where was Steve Balmer? Hard to imagine really. And I don't give Nordstrom a pass for believing that Behring was being honest when he promised not to move the team. He should have waited and done some research into the guy or just used some common sense, but apparently he was in a hurry to sell before the bad publicity from the 1987 players strike wreaked havoc on his retail clothing empire (total bs explanation).
I wonder why Nordstrom got zero of the hat the Howard did. I wonder if he would have if they actually moved.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:53 am

I guess we should be glad that Coffee Man hadn't made his fortune yet or he may have stepped up and bought the Seahawks. Then who knows what happens from there since we know he wouldn't have spent a dime on building a new stadium.

maoling

Post by maoling » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:05 pm

I wonder why Nordstrom got zero of the hat the Howard did. I wonder if he would have if they actually moved.
dt

I think it's because the Nordstroms were genuinely good owners, civic-minded folks who were not crying for public money all the time. Also it appears they truly believed Behring when he said he would never move the team.

Contrast that with Howard Schitz, who pissed and moaned, showed no interest in putting a quality team on the floor, fought with Gary Payton and then sold the team in a temper-tantrum to a POS that everyone in Seattle knew would move the team the minute he got the chance.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:01 pm

I would say because Nordstrom wasn't being a jerk, there was no cloud over the sale, and at the time Behring seemed a reasonable owner

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:32 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:09 am

Because Police Officers were never kicked out of a Nordstrom's store while shopping because "others were uncomfortable"?

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:53 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:32 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:09 am

Because Police Officers were never kicked out of a Nordstrom's store while shopping because "others were uncomfortable"?
That makes no sense.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:56 pm

I agree...cops getting asked to leave a Starbucks because other customers were made uneasy by them does make no sense.