What is your most hated play in football

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: What is your most hated play in football

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:50 pm

It was just lame. The Oregon players knew there were two guys down there when the ball was kicked off. Did CP think they would forget in the 4 seconds it took before the ball landed? The play would have worked just fine without McClatcher taking a nap in the end-zone.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:55 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:50 pm
It was just lame. The Oregon players knew there were two guys down there when the ball was kicked off. Did CP think they would forget in the 4 seconds it took before the ball landed? The play would have worked just fine without McClatcher taking a nap in the end-zone.
Petersen's next trick will be to put a real live Wild Cat in the backfield to try to confuse the defense.
dt

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:55 am

Here's a good one: when the Hawks get pinned at their own one or two yard line they always run up the gut twice in an effort to get "room to operate" and get stuffed. Always. Three games ago this led to Dickaon's crummy punt that gave the Rams the ball just outside the red zone.

I was just watching the Patriota tonight and pinned at the one yard line, they said "Here's how you create room to operate" as Brady dropped back to pass on first down and hit one in the flat for eight yards. THERE'S your breathing room.

If you get sacked for a safety, you eat two points and free-kick from your 20. Not the worst thing in the world. But our coaches (and many others) think you need to get yourself in a third down situation at the five yard line to give your punter room if you don't get the first, rather than attacking. More often than not it's a completely wasted drive.

And yeah, that stupid sideways pass, that asinine third and three call by Schotty turned the game around. They really CAN'T ask Russell Wilson to complete a pass more than three yards downfield.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:22 am

well...I believe the "room to operate" should relate to getting off a good punt. And it really depends on game situation, if there are five minutes left and you are down by a TD with the ball at the two then its dumb to play for room to operate. But on the other hand, if its a neutral situation where field position is the key factor, that is field position going into future possessions. That would make the most important thing getting of a good punt, as opposed to a possible first down, and the most important thing for that is getting the ball to the five yard line. So, using your first two plays to make sure you get to the five might not be such a bad idea. I think it pisses off fans because it seems conservative, it is, its playing to the five yard line as opposed to the ten, but conservatism wins ballgames, winning the field position battle wins ballgames

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:25 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:22 am
well...I believe the "room to operate" should relate to getting off a good punt. And it really depends on game situation, if there are five minutes left and you are down by a TD with the ball at the two then its dumb to play for room to operate. But on the other hand, if its a neutral situation where field position is the key factor, that is field position going into future possessions. That would make the most important thing getting of a good punt, as opposed to a possible first down, and the most important thing for that is getting the ball to the five yard line. So, using your first two plays to make sure you get to the five might not be such a bad idea. I think it pisses off fans because it seems conservative, it is, its playing to the five yard line as opposed to the ten, but conservatism wins ballgames, winning the field position battle wins ballgames
Punting the ball back to the other team so they have the ball inside the fifty is how you win?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:51 pm

well i think that is how PC seems to do it, and yea he wins

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:54 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:51 pm
well i think that is how PC seems to do it, and yea he wins
That doesn't really connect where stalling yourself inside your own five-yard line is concerned. I know you're just being contrarian, but that doesn't make any sense at all.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:10 am

well i am trying to look at the issue, if that is being contrarian so be it. Do we agree that PC would tend to do it? That is use two run plays in that situation? I haven't looked deeply but i am going to assume that, ok? And he also is pretty good at winning football game isn't he? I think he has formulas he works out, risk reward in terms of possessions. I think he views that situation as making sure he is able to get off the best punt possible. Its better to be confident in getting the ball out near the 50 on a change of possession than being more aggressive at attacking for a first down and risking a poor punt that gives the ball over at more like the 30. I just think that is how he looks at and it does seem to work, his record speaks to that. Its not like we can sit around complaining he doesn't know how to win a football game

douche

Post by douche » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:26 pm

Run, run, pass, punt? It's one of Carroll's favorites.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:31 pm

So, there is no way that a coach who wins can do something wrong? Up 33 Belichek not only had his starters in late in the 4th quarter, he ran a reverse to his best receiver and Sonny Michell later got hurt! He once went for it up less than a score deep in Indy territory, and lost. Pete Carrol has NO idea about clock management, nor does he have clue one about what plays to challenge. Many of his offense philosophies are archaic, and he hasn’t won a playoff game in two years, or advanced past the WC round in how long?

Because he craps his pants and forgets his name for a half hour every time he is inside his the five yard line does not make it the right thing to do! Especially since about 2012 when the defense pretty much stopped being the best around. Take a look at how many 4th quarter game winning drives we have given up and tell me punting it back from outside the five is a huge advantage over taking a shot at converting and MAYBE having to punt from inside the five! Or, MAYBE you convert and don’t have to punt at all. Coaches lose all the time by pissing their pants, refusing to play offense, and punting it away. But, since the majority of them do it it’s never highly publicized. You know what the majority of them also do? Lose...then eventually lose their jobs.

We saw it Sunday. One coach was “more likely to punt that go for it” on 4th and 3. The other one decided against a sure three points and went for it. I’ll let you guess which one lost the game and which one won the game.

I grow extremely tired of hearing about how a guy that years ago won a Super Bowl can do no wrong. Lately, during games, I feel he does more harm then good. He does a great job building a team, and until his message goes stale is a great motivator. His in game tactics leave much to be desired, IMO. The game is damn near over if we convert a fourth and short before the half up two scores against the Rams. Instead we miss a FG and if the Rams hadn’t returned the favor later....we lose. So, he opts to lose the same way last Sunday. But it is OK, at least he is consistent in the mistakes me makes!?