Quandre Diggs

IStillLoveTheMs

Re: Quandre Diggs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:54 am

Well... he was a captain for the Lions and tons of Lions players were pissed that he's leaving. I'd rather him in there over Tedric, if they plan to move him safety.

Or they're just over Malik Turner... which I'm not upset about either.

Hasslecracked

Post by Hasslecracked » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:03 am

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:54 am
Well... he was a captain for the Lions and tons of Lions players were pissed that he's leaving. I'd rather him in there over Tedric, if they plan to move him safety.

Or they're just over Malik Turner... which I'm not upset about either.
Why would adding a safety have any effect on a wide receiver?

Hasslecracked

Post by Hasslecracked » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:30 pm

Detroit Lions get: 2020 fifth-round pick
Seattle Seahawks get: S Quandre Diggs, 2021 seventh-round pick

Lions grade: D+
Seahawks grade: B

This is a surprising, out-of-nowhere deal for a Lions team that likely still fancies itself a contender at 2-3-1. Quandre Diggs was starting at safety as recently as this past weekend, when he played 55 of 71 snaps during the Lions' 42-30 loss to the Vikings. Diggs was entering the first season of a three-year, $18.6 million extension he signed in September 2018, but there is no guaranteed money on his contract after this season.

Diggs started his career as a slot cornerback, but the Lions moved him to safety after Tavon Wilson went down injured last season, and he impressed in limited time. They kept Diggs at safety this season after cutting longtime starter Glover Quin, but it seems that they were not impressed by his performance. It might be worth noting that his last defensive snap with the team came on Kyle Rudolph's touchdown catch in the fourth quarter, and Diggs didn't appear to make much of a tackle attempt on the tight end at the goal line. I have to wonder if that was the last straw for coach Matt Patricia.

The Lions will presumably give Wilson a larger role, given that the former Patriots safety was playing just under 40% of the defensive snaps this season. Wilson filled in for Diggs when the starter missed two games earlier this season; Diggs had basically been an every-down safety to that point. Wilson, who took a pay cut to stay with the team this season, has always profiled better as a true strong safety.

Diggs' theoretical range as either a free safety or a strong safety likely appealed to the Seahawks, who need help at both spots. Both strong safeties Bradley McDougald and Lano Hill have struggled with injuries, and Tedric Thompson has had a wildly inconsistent season at free safety. Seattle started rookie second-rounder Marquise Blair alongside Thompson during Sunday's loss to the Ravens. Blair had played just 12 defensive snaps before taking 100% of the snaps against Baltimore.

After years of wiping away deep passes with superstar safety Earl Thomas, Seattle has been susceptible to deep throws this season. Against passes traveling 16 or more yards in the air, the Seahawks rank 29th in passer rating (122.3) and 27th in Total QBR (97.7). Lamar Jackson was 2-of-3 for 83 yards on those throws Sunday, and the one incompletion was a would-be touchdown that Mark Andrews dropped.

Quandre Diggs, a sixth-round pick by the Lions in 2015, had six career interceptions. Leon Halip/Getty Images
The Seahawks will try Diggs alongside Thompson for the time being before getting McDougald back. In Pete Carroll, the Seahawks have a coach with an affinity for both challenging pass interference calls and developing defensive backs, which should tell you how great he is at the latter. There's a chance the Seahawks turn Diggs into a very valuable safety in the long-term, and they don't run much risk while adding a warm body in the short-term.

After Detroit paid Diggs $6.5 million in bonuses the past two years, the Seahawks will be on the hook for only about $1.6 million in prorated base salary and $62,500 in per-game roster bonuses over the remainder of the season. That seems well worth a fifth-round pick, let alone getting a seventh-rounder in 2021 as part of the swap. If you think my grade for the Lions is harsh, well, you can ask star Detroit cornerback Darius Slay what he thinks.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:14 pm

Some guy asked why Lions players were upset given he was having a down year. This was my response:
derrick silkett
and
Tom Gialanella
liked your reply
Guessing his teammates are less focused than fans and GMs on his performance in his last 5 games when judging the value of guy they have played with for years.
dt

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:44 pm

looks like were getting burned with the rookies.
pete had enough.
i like the move.
change of scenery might bring out the best in Diggs.
gives us some experience.
id stll like us to go for a corner like the vet Denver has.
or get help up front.
still dont trust that o-line
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:47 pm

Chris Davis.

Denver just traded Emmanuel to the 40whiners so maybe they're sellers now.
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:47 pm

seattlefan-daBronx wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:47 pm
Chris Davis.

Denver just traded Emmanuel to the 40whiners so maybe they're sellers now.
Von Miller?

roosevelt

Post by roosevelt » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:57 pm

Diggs is listed at 5' 9"

Likely means he is smaller. Truthfully, I know little about this guy.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:05 pm

roosevelt wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:57 pm
Diggs is listed at 5' 9"

Likely means he is smaller. Truthfully, I know little about this guy.
You know little about this guy or know about this little guy? :)
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:39 am

Sounds like he isn’t practicing due to a hamstring and is unlikely to play. Is there something in the air at the V Mac that ruins hamstrings?