More on Clowney

D-train

Re: More on Clowney

Post by D-train » Wed May 06, 2020 12:00 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:30 am
Clowney was on the radio the other day in Houston
“It might have (slowed the process) a little more than expected,” Clowney said. “I don’t know if people think I’m hurting because of what I went through, because of the core (injury), or previous years… I don’t know. I just want to let people know I’m ready. I’m gonna be ready to go whenever the time comes and whoever I sign with is gonna get the best version of me. I’m working, I’m staying ahead of schedule and I’m going to be ready to go when training camp starts.”
“I love Seattle,” Clowney said. “I was there this past year. I love everybody on the coaching staff, I wouldn’t trade them guys in. You know, I hope we can work something out if anything happens. I did like it up there. I love Russ, I love all the guys I played with, I respect them guys.”
If he thinks or knows he is healthier than teams do then he is very wise to wait as opposed to sign some discounted BS contract because of team's false concerns or perceptions just to get a deal done.

Also, I am pleased to see that he knows that that Seattle is UP there as opposed to our 1st round pick who said from TEXAS that he is looking forward to getting DOWN to Seattle. Maybe it is just a slip of the tongue but if not, Jesus, how to you grow up in this country go to a major college for years thinking that Seattle is SOUTH of Texas. :| :roll: :?

I saw a guy on Twitter say that the Mariners couldn't start in July because Oregon just issued a 3 month lock down order. He then admitted that he thought Seattle was is Oregon. So many ignorant idiots out there.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed May 06, 2020 12:11 pm

I would like to hear their rational for waiting, I think he runs a greater risk of losing, rather than gaining money. If he waits until the beginning of training camp, I doubt his market expands even if he can prove he is healthy, not buying that is what the thing turns on. He could sign a contract subject to a physical, other players did it. I think the three sacks is an issue. I don't think teams are willing to pay him what he thinks he is worth. I keep reading the Hawks offer is the best he has seen. I think that could be based on their value of what he brings to a game

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 06, 2020 12:26 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:11 pm
I would like to hear their rational for waiting, I think he runs a greater risk of losing, rather than gaining money. I doubt the market expands even if he can prove he is healthy, not buying that is what the thing turns on. He could sign a contract subject to a physical, other players did it. I think the three sacks is an issue. I don't think teams are willing to pay him what he thinks he is worth. I keep reading the Hawks offer is the best he has seen. I think that could be based on their value of what he brings to a game
Yeah, I don't get that either. If they can void the contract if he doesn't pass a physical than what I just said is invalid. Is it possible to pass a physical but still the team still have buyers remorse because they don't think he is 100% healthy? The sacks issue is nonsense given the double teams and the relative value of the 99.5% of plays that he didn't get a sack. The difference between a sack and a pressure/hurry that causes an incompletion is maybe and average of 4-5 yards. If the pressure/hurry causes a INT then I would prefer that to a sack.

I think people think sacks are important because there is a belief that guys that don't get them don't get much pressure at all. Its kind of like if a guy gets a DUI the odds of him having only driven drunk once or twice the prior year is almost zero. Almost a guarantee that he has driven drunk dozens or even hundreds of time before without getting caught. That is why people that get DUIs are immediately deemed and alcoholic and are forced to treatment.

Sacks are just an easy way to determine total impact but in Clowney's case there is a flaw in that method.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed May 06, 2020 12:36 pm

well..Actually its probably the team taking the risk on that sort of deal, it could be they won't do it. Having him flunk a physical at the beginning of training camp would screw their roster. And with there being issues with him, i take that back, he probably can't do it. But I don't see a bunch of teams jumping into the mix, for the same reason, rosters are going to be set.

And I understand about sacks, but I still think basically that's it, he is going to be paid as second tier DE.

He has what is considered a top notch veteran agent. I am confident he knows a heck of a lot more about it than i do, so we shall see. i could see him ending up with the Hawks on a one year deal. But if Griffen decides to take the $3 mil then what?...I know, sign both of them lol

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 06, 2020 12:42 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:36 pm
well..Actually its probably the team taking the risk on that sort of deal, it could be they won't do it. Having him flunk a physical at the beginning of training camp would screw their roster. And with there being issues with him, i take that back, he probably can't do it. But I don't see a bunch of teams jumping into the mix, for the same reason, rosters are going to be set.

And I understand about sacks, but I still think basically that's it, he is going to be paid as second tier DE.

He has what is considered a top notch veteran agent. I am confident he knows a heck of a lot more about it than i do, so we shall see. i could see him ending up with the Hawks on a one year deal. But if Griffen decides to take the $3 mil then what?...I know, sign both of them lol
I actually wouldn't want both. I want to see what those two kids got. I like both of those picks. As they chanted in Bad News Bears Breaking training, "Let them Play!" "Let them Play"! :)
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 06, 2020 12:43 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:36 pm

Crazy thing is Clowney is only 27.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed May 06, 2020 1:58 pm

tell ya, you guys can bad mouth JS all you want but signing them both at the beginning of training camp would be pretty much a classic JS move far as I am concerned. I wonder if the thought has crossed his mind. We will probably end up with neither but man, that be a SB move, a guy can dream. I mean I thought we were in win now mode, and that could do it. And again, for all the complaining, i think they could come out of this with a pretty fair team. I am not concerned about the offensive line, yeah they signed a bunch of guys, maybe that actually works. I think that offense could really take off, they did add weapons for RW, DK will be a year older. And they have added pieces to the defense. If they add a DE or two the line looks alright, and that backfield should be pretty solid, and I think Brooks could be a bigger help than you might think for the linebacking. i said before the issue really was the defense, but they don't need the second coming of the LOB, they just need to get better, and they could be. I guess the disappointment is the lack of a big off season splash, but it could be JS spread the dough around pretty effectively filling out the team. I know I am just a Hawk ass kisser but I am really not that discouraged about their prospects

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Wed May 06, 2020 2:19 pm

I agree with the comments on here.
No big splash but they did improve in needed areas...linebacker (imho are still good but getting old), backfield looks more competitive and our young-ins are just more experienced. DK is only going to get better.
The only concerns I share with many are the 0-line and the lack of a pass rush.
Brady sat in the pocket forever with his offensive lines.
If you notice Tampa Bay immediately improved their line to protect him.
I'd love to see what Wilson could do with a SOLID front!...Holy Cow PC is stubborn.
The JS / PC combo has been great...but could be so much better if they for one year just addressed the obvious. They seem to overthink stuff.
The war of football is won in the trenches!!!
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 06, 2020 2:24 pm

seattlefan-daBronx wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:19 pm
I agree with the comments on here.
No big splash but they did improve in needed areas...linebacker (imho are still good but getting old), backfield looks more competitive and our young-ins are just more experienced. DK is only going to get better.
The only concerns I share with many are the 0-line and the lack of a pass rush.
Brady sat in the pocket forever with his offensive lines.
If you notice Tampa Bay immediately improved their line to protect him.
I'd love to see what Wilson could do with a SOLID front!...Holy Cow PC is stubborn.
The JS / PC combo has been great...but could be so much better if they for one year just addressed the obvious. They seem to overthink stuff.
The war of football is won in the trenches!!!
Boom! So close yet so far.....
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Wed May 06, 2020 2:27 pm

So Hawks are what 2 mil ( if that) apart from Clowney's asking price? Four other teams are in the mix because of this shit. Brilliant. He obviously wants to be here.