Happy Thanksgiving: F*ck the Niners Game Thread

Donn Beach

Re: Happy Thanksgiving: F*ck the Niners Game Thread

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:22 pm

You look at the success RW had with the Hawks and then the struggle in Denver and that was exactly what came to my mind. A good coach puts his players in position to succeed

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:29 pm

auroraave wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:09 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:58 pm
I don't think it be an easy decision, I think he's going to need to resign
Allen inherited the team from her brother, Paul Allen, who passed away in October 2018. Like Paul, Jody has largely stayed in the background and has allowed head coach Pete Carroll to function as the de facto CEO. Garafolo, though, says that Allen has recently become “very involved” in the operation, which suggests that a major shakeup could be on the way.

Of course, trade rumors swirled around Wilson last offseason, and there has been speculation that the Seahawks could end up dealing their franchise signal-caller in 2022.
https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/ ... erformance
And to be fair - he's earned that. Behind the scenes they will give him the option of his exit - step away on your terms - or we will fire you. Optics will play out and he will leave. I think Pete's fate was sealed with the loss to the Lambs. I think he knows it's time - and I think he has lost the team. There is absolutely no identity to this team. Two biggest mistakes this off season were not drafting more talent for the QB room for the future and not taking carter to seriously bolster the dline - no disrespect to witherspoon - he is great. And while it's awful trendy to have hot takes about how much Geno sucks - perhaps we need to be looking at the play calling and ask if they are putting him in the best position to succeed. First half of the lambs game sure looked like it. Then... Seattle went into field goal mode and you know that's not going to get it done.

Pete is probably as good as gone - but there is no sense making these headline grabbing moves now - off season will bring sweeping changes - it's inevitable - the fans are seriously over it and the team is embarrassing. Jodi knows.
The problem up front, IMO, is not talent. It has to be scheme. Pete loves his coordinators, but they rarely deserve his love. Which again leads me to believe they are doing what Pete is asking them to do.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:58 pm

douche wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:16 pm
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:49 pm
You don't fire the only head coach to win you a Super Bowl in franchise history. But you can fire the incompetent coordinators and hire ones that don't suck and not give a damn if that leads to the head coach retiring early.
Are you sure? Shanahan won 2 Super Bowls as HC with DEN and 10 years later he was fired.
I realize it's happened before with other franchises, i just don't like the notion of it. Besides the lack of class that it exudes, it also would likely negatively impact their ability to hire any [older] head coach with a track record of success.
douche wrote:
The coordinators are Carroll's department. If he wants them gone, they will be. But as Michael has mentioned numerous times, PC seems okay with mediocre.
I was suggesting that Jody should replace the coordinators, not Pete.

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:59 pm

douche wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:19 pm
auroraave wrote:
And while it's awful trendy to have hot takes about how much Geno sucks - perhaps we need to be looking at the play calling and ask if they are putting him in the best position to succeed.
100%. Coach to your player's strengths.
This is the same logic behind the theory that it's not the referees that fix the games, it's the "coordinators". Just hit me that it's right in the damn name, lol. This is how you move up the ladder. You don't work for the Seahawks, you work for the NFL. :lol:

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:04 pm

Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:58 pm
douche wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:49 pm
You don't fire the only head coach to win you a Super Bowl in franchise history. But you can fire the incompetent coordinators and hire ones that don't suck and not give a damn if that leads to the head coach retiring early.
Are you sure? Shanahan won 2 Super Bowls as HC with DEN and 10 years later he was fired.
I realize it's happened before with other franchises, i just don't like the notion of it. Besides the lack of class that it exudes, it also would likely negatively impact their ability to hire any [older] head coach with a track record of success.
douche wrote:
The coordinators are Carroll's department. If he wants them gone, they will be. But as Michael has mentioned numerous times, PC seems okay with mediocre.
I was suggesting that Jody should replace the coordinators, not Pete.
Somehow I don't see Jody interview coordinators with no involvement from PC. lol
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:06 pm

douche wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:19 pm
auroraave wrote:
And while it's awful trendy to have hot takes about how much Geno sucks - perhaps we need to be looking at the play calling and ask if they are putting him in the best position to succeed.
100%. Coach to your player's strengths.
The play calling is atrocious. Just look at our third downs. I promise you a very high percentage of third and short plays are designed for down field while a very high percentage of third and medium to long are designed for short of the sticks. I don't remember who broke down the deep shot that Lock had last week but there was ONE short option, and it was literally just a check down that also wouldn't have converted to a first down. Just idiotic.

douche

Post by douche » Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:07 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:29 pm
The problem up front, IMO, is not talent. It has to be scheme. Pete loves his coordinators, but they rarely deserve his love. Which again leads me to believe they are doing what Pete is asking them to do.
Agreed.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:42 pm

Remember not only does Jody have a ton of responsibility handling the estate of her late brother in general, she also has a NBA team to run as well. She seems to be under quite a bit of pressure actually to sell that team. Knight has been trying to buy it

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:54 pm

Seems more involved in the blazers actually
Portland Trail Blazers chair Jody Allen told her team in "early September" it was time to "move on" from Damian Lillard, according to the Washington Post's Ben Golliver.

Lillard was dealt to the Milwaukee Bucks September 28.

The seven-time All-Star had requested a trade in July after 11 seasons with Blazers.

"We really need to move on," Allen said on a Zoom call prior to the trade, as recalled by Blazers president Dewayne Hankins. "We've got great young talent. We're not like other rebuilding teams who don't have a strong core of young players. It's time to turn the page."

Allen's talk led to the Blazers' decision to remove Lillard from team promotional materials, where he was replaced by with No. 3 pick Scoot Henderson and last season's breakout star Anfernee Simons, per Golliver.

Despite Lillard's public criticism of the Blazers, he was a frequent defender of Allen. Last summer, he challenged a report claiming Allen had refused to meet with him about his problems with the team. This summer, he took to Instagram live to clarify liking a negative social media post regarding Allen had been an accident.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:09 pm

Another shot at Waldron, it's like piling on now

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/11/24/2 ... le-results