More on Clowney

D-train

Re: More on Clowney

Post by D-train » Sat May 09, 2020 2:26 pm

The buyers of my house wanted me to pay $16k for issues that came out during the inspection. But I knew they had been looking for a house for a year and needed my house because they have a Grandma that they didn't want to climb two flights of stairs every day. I also knew they were willing to go up to $1.623M vs. the $1.517M list price they are paying. I knew there was no way in hell they would walk over $8k so I offered to pay half the repair bill. They just accepted last night.

While it would have sucked for them to walk I was willing to roll the dice for $8000 given the odds were 99% in my mind that they would agree.

Similar to what JS is dealing with but instead of 1% chance of him walking I would put it about about 60%. Absurd risk reward scenario given the downside of not having a decent pass rush.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat May 09, 2020 2:36 pm

I don't really see the comparison. I think they would like to have Clowney back, but i don't think its some sort of mexican stand off. They made those moves in order to move on, each of them made it less likely Clowney returned, JS was busy covering his risk. That is what teams do, they fill out their rosters, of course JS is as big a dumb fuck as PC if not more so, but I think if Clowney returns it will be basically how JS fits him in his cap, I don't think they are just trying to be cheap with him, but i think JS is strict to his cap requirements, that is what it turns on

maoling

Post by maoling » Sat May 09, 2020 3:07 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:26 pm
The buyers of my house wanted me to pay $16k for issues that came out during the inspection. But I knew they had been looking for a house for a year and needed my house because they have a Grandma that they didn't want to climb two flights of stairs every day. I also knew they were willing to go up to $1.623M vs. the $1.517M list price they are paying. I knew there was no way in hell they would walk over $8k so I offered to pay half the repair bill. They just accepted last night.

While it would have sucked for them to walk I was willing to roll the dice for $8000 given the odds were 99% in my mind that they would agree.

Similar to what JS is dealing with but instead of 1% chance of him walking I would put it about about 60%. Absurd risk reward scenario given the downside of not having a decent pass rush.
Congrats to you and Lynda on the sale, DT. Does this mean I don't have to bring over a cheesecake this July?

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 09, 2020 3:07 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:36 pm
I don't really see the comparison. I think they would like to have Clowney back, but i don't think its some sort of mexican stand off. They made those moves in order to move on, each of them made it less likely Clowney returned, JS was busy covering his risk. That is what teams do, they fill out their rosters, of course JS is as big a dumb fuck as PC if not more so, but I think if Clowney returns it will be basically how JS fits him in his cap, I don't think they are just trying to be cheap with him, but i think JS is strict to his cap requirements, that is what it turns on
:lol:
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 09, 2020 3:08 pm

maoling wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 3:07 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:26 pm

Congrats to you and Lynda on the sale, DT. Does this mean I don't have to bring over a cheesecake this July?
Thanks Brother! Just need to bring it to AZ next March. That is where the party will be.
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Sat May 09, 2020 5:37 pm

Lots of chatter going on today. Apparently Eagles and Seahawks have made Clowney contract offers near what Clowney's asking price. Also on the official roster Jarran Reed is still #91.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/5/8/212 ... draft-2020

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 09, 2020 6:39 pm

Jets Mailbag:
Why haven't the NY Jets gone after Clowney? -- @BuddhaTaino
Money. Actually, it's more about player value. Jadeveon Clowney may be the best pass rusher on the market, but he wanted more than $20 million per year in a long-term contract, and then reportedly lowered his demands into the $17-18 million range. So far no one thinks he's worth that - certainly not on a long-term deal. The Jets clearly don't.

There are a lot of reasons for that. One is that he's had three knee surgeries and even at age 27 that can take a toll. It makes him a risky bet for a long-term, salary cap-crunching contract. Also, as good as he is - and he is good and disruptive and strong against the run, too - he had only three sacks last year and has never had more than 9 ½ in a single season. Pass rushers will always say that sacks aren't a good measure of all they do, but like it or not it's how teams often measure them, and teams pay big money for guys who actually produce those sacks.

The Jets obviously don't want to spend that kind of money for a player who has had 12 sacks in the last two seasons. You know who's done better than that? Jordan Jenkins. He had eight sacks last season and 15 in the last two seasons and the Jets got him back on a one-year, $5 million deal. Maybe he's not in Clowney's class as a player. But the bottom line is he's been more productive, especially in the category that pays.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 09, 2020 6:40 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:39 pm
Jets Mailbag:
Why haven't the NY Jets gone after Clowney? -- @BuddhaTaino
Money. Actually, it's more about player value. Jadeveon Clowney may be the best pass rusher on the market, but he wanted more than $20 million per year in a long-term contract, and then reportedly lowered his demands into the $17-18 million range. So far no one thinks he's worth that - certainly not on a long-term deal. The Jets clearly don't.

There are a lot of reasons for that. One is that he's had three knee surgeries and even at age 27 that can take a toll. It makes him a risky bet for a long-term, salary cap-crunching contract. Also, as good as he is - and he is good and disruptive and strong against the run, too - he had only three sacks last year and has never had more than 9 ½ in a single season. Pass rushers will always say that sacks aren't a good measure of all they do, but like it or not it's how teams often measure them, and teams pay big money for guys who actually produce those sacks.

The Jets obviously don't want to spend that kind of money for a player who has had 12 sacks in the last two seasons. You know who's done better than that? Jordan Jenkins. He had eight sacks last season and 15 in the last two seasons and the Jets got him back on a one-year, $5 million deal. Maybe he's not in Clowney's class as a player. But the bottom line is he's been more productive, especially in the category that pays.
Caveat: The Jets are a dogshit org.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 09, 2020 6:51 pm

Doesn't this seem like a lot for Irvin? Sign a bunch of mediocre guys to mid level deals and you will end up with a mediocre defense.
By Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter
The contract figures are finally in for one of the Seahawks’ most notable free agent additions of the year — linebacker/rush end Bruce Irvin — and his salary turned out to be a little bit higher than had generally been speculated.

As reported first by ESPN and later confirmed when the contract became available on OvertheCap.com, Irvin’s one-year deal has a base value of $5.5 million with incentives that mean its cap number is $5.906 million. The contract includes a base salary of $2.5 million and a bonus of $2 million, with $5 million guaranteed at signing. The incentives include $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses. After accounting for Irvin’s contract, the Seahawks now have $16.1 million in cap space, according to OTC.com.

Irvin, 32, agreed to the contract on March 18, the first day unrestricted free agents could sign with teams other than their own. But travel restrictions meant the contract wasn’t actually announced by the team until April 23, and the numbers hadn’t become publicly available until Friday.

Conventional wisdom had been that the salary might be more in the $3-4 million range, which would have been in line with what Irvin made last year with Carolina, when he had a one-year contract that ended up having a $3.8 million cap hit.

But Irvin had a career-high 8.5 sacks last season with the Panthers while playing 15 games, helping revive his market a bit, and the Seahawks know him well, with Irvin having played for Seattle from 2012-15 after being a first-round pick in 2012. Seattle also wanted to get a player it trusts to beef up the pass rush, especially with the uncertainty over Jadeveon Clowney. As is clear now, it was obvious at that point to the team that Clowney wasn’t being overly receptive to the team’s initial offer.

The cap number is the eighth-highest on the team in 2020 and the fourth-highest on defense behind linebackers Bobby Wagner ($14.7 million) and K.J. Wright ($10 million) and defensive tackle Jarran Reed ($9.3 million).

ADVERTISING

While Seattle still has $16.1 million in cap space, that number doesn’t include bonuses for the draft picks (which will add $3 million or so to the cap) and needing to keep money for Injured Reserve and the practice squad and simply needing some money for making moves during the season.

General manager John Schneider stressed the latter point during a radio interview this week with longtime CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora on 105.7 The Fan in Baltimore, saying, “We are just one of those teams that wants to be active throughout the season as well, so we try to budget accordingly.”

Cap space can always be created, of course, through either cutting players, or working with some really big-salaried players such as Russell Wilson and Wagner to convert some of their salaries into bonus, which creates immediate cap space by passing it on to future years while giving the player a significant immediate payday.

However, Schneider seemed to hint that the Seahawks will be cautious in doing much finagling to the cap other than potentially shedding players when he noted in his interview with La Canfora that the Seahawks have both cap and cash budgets they need to manage and that “they work hand in hand.”

Realistically, at this point, the Seahawks would most likely have to cut a player or two to make room for any significant contract.

Clowney made what appeared to a pretty blatant appeal to other teams to let them know he’s available when he consented to an interview with a Houston television station this week in which he was shown going through a workout and declaring that he is healthy after having core/sports-hernia surgery a few months ago. That Clowney has not been able to make visits to take physicals at team facilities has unquestionably impacted the offers he received.

ADVERTISING

But as long as he remains unsigned, then the option of returning to Seattle is likely going to be there — even if at a lesser salary than the team originally offered — and Schneider said this week the Seahawks will continue to keep in contact.

“He knows the door is not closed,” Schneider said.

But the details on the Irvin contract help further explain why the door might have shut a little more than people thought for a while now.

The only free agent Seattle signed to a greater deal this offseason is veteran tight end Greg Olsen, whose one-year deal carries a cap hit of $6.9 million.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat May 09, 2020 7:42 pm

It was the theme of the off season. Quantity over quality.