Monday night in New Jersey Game thread

ddraig

Re: Monday night in New Jersey Game thread

Post by ddraig » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:17 am

Thanks! I lost track. The batteries in my calculator died! Had to go back to using the abacus.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:19 am

Even though the offense took much of the night off, that was a BUTT-WHOOPIN'! Nobody messes with us on Monday Night!

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:41 am

D-train wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:05 am
Man 3 points for the Giants.
3 points in 8 quarters at home! :shock: :o

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:45 am

So much for all those who said Spoon is an undersized and overrated draft pick :mrgreen:

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:09 am

Just saw the ESPN doing the College highlights and guess who the sponsor is? Not Bud Lite but just "Lite."

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:37 am

Cascade Kid wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:45 am
So much for all those who said Spoon is an undersized and overrated draft pick :mrgreen:
Who said that? I think everybody has been pretty much on board with the Witherspoon pick.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:31 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:37 am
Cascade Kid wrote:
Who said that? I think everybody has been pretty much on board with the Witherspoon pick.
There was some grumbling after the first game but I think we all knew we had to let things play out for a while.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:44 am

Believe Gametime was questioning his size and the wisdom of the pick before the season began.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:42 am

DavidGee24 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:31 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:37 am
Cascade Kid wrote:
There was some grumbling after the first game but I think we all knew we had to let things play out for a while.
I don't think I read any of those posts. That's probably why. You could see how special of a player he was after ronight's performance. I think JSN is pretty special too. There's just too many mouths to feed right now.

And how about Jake Bobo tonight?! That dude can ball. More Bobo please!

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:22 am

I felt Pete was putting his reputation on the line with the Witherspoon pick. It was unusual to use a high draft pick like that on a Dback but it was about how special he was. Dbacks are Pete's specialty, he claimed Witherspoon was special. I don't think it was just avoiding taking Carter, it was wanting Witherspoon.

Think they might have gotten it right this time
"Devon Witherspoon, he's a rare player," Carroll said. "Since the years we've been here, we haven't seen a guy like this. We have not drafted corners high just because we haven't come across a guy of this makeup. It's his athletic ability, it's his speed, it's his playmaking, it's his mentality.

"I haven't come across a guy like this in a long time. The last time I recognized this kind of makeup was back at USC when we had a guy that you guys may know. Troy Polamalu was a guy who had an extraordinary way about the way he played the game, and I saw this connection between what Devon does and how he looks at the game and how he approaches it that just knocked me out. I'm just really excited about this. He's physical, he's tough, he's got an attitude, he's going to bring it, he's going to fit right in with our guys.

Said general manager John Schneider, "Devon is arguably one of the most physical players in the draft, regardless of position… He's going to bring a lot of juice, a lot of energy. Just a smart, energetic guy."
Polamalu, that would be good. I think it's hard to imagine a corner impacting a game like that