Nick Vannett traded to Steelers

D-train

Re: Nick Vannett traded to Steelers

Post by D-train » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:49 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:33 pm
so you are saying he wasn't productive?...so by all means flip him for a 5th, seems to me you are trying to have it both ways
Bell said he never became the run blocker that they thought he would be.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:52 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:43 pm
A third round pick in the 2016 draft out of Ohio State, the 6-foot-3, 261-pound Vannett has played in 42 NFL regular-season games, netting 16 career starts. He has 46 career receptions for 463 yards and four scores. Vannett caught four of five targets for 38 yards in his three games for Seattle this season. He was passed up on the Seahawks' depth chart by Will Dissly, a second round pick in the 2018 draft who has three touchdowns in Seattle's past two games.
he has been passed by Dissly on the Hawk depth chart, so you get a fifth for him, i really do not see the hard part in that at all, I think its kind of clever in fact...
Except if he had panned out that he expected you might have got a 2nd or a 3rd for him. Can't believe the Steelers who are going to have trouble winning 5 games this season are trading anything for guys that are going to FAs next season though. The residual value we got was definitely a positive.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:53 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:33 pm
so you are saying he wasn't productive?...so by all means flip him for a 5th, seems to me you are trying to have it both ways
You're right, it was a decent return for the value they were getting out of him, but i think he's a better player than that and they wasted the pick by not giving him more opportunities to play and develop that way.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:00 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:52 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:43 pm
A third round pick in the 2016 draft out of Ohio State, the 6-foot-3, 261-pound Vannett has played in 42 NFL regular-season games, netting 16 career starts. He has 46 career receptions for 463 yards and four scores. Vannett caught four of five targets for 38 yards in his three games for Seattle this season. He was passed up on the Seahawks' depth chart by Will Dissly, a second round pick in the 2018 draft who has three touchdowns in Seattle's past two games.
he has been passed by Dissly on the Hawk depth chart, so you get a fifth for him, i really do not see the hard part in that at all, I think its kind of clever in fact...
Except if he had panned out that he expected you might have got a 2nd or a 3rd for him. Can't believe the Steelers who are going to have trouble winning 5 games this season are trading anything for guys that are going to FAs next season though. The residual value we got was definitely a positive.
yeah if he had panned out, most picks don't pan out and the got a guy now that seems to be panning out, i think its slick to recoup value from the guy that didnt. Yeah the story seems more, what are the Steelers up to, not that i really care, they seem eager to hand out draft picks, might as well oblige them

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:10 pm

Perhaps the Steelers' scouting report on Vannett makes them believe he can be a starter or at least a solid back-up, and they are looking to sign him to a deal to keep him there for several more years. Surely they can't think they're going anywhere this year.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:11 pm

Its almost like they are trying to win a few games to keep the fan base engaged. Not a very modern strategy.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:17 pm

Steelers are claiming it doesn't have to do with Vance McDonald being injured, that they just wanted to add depth. Can't believe its because they have a hard on to resign him, just let him go into FA
On Tuesday night, Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that the Steelers have traded a 2020 fifth round pick to the Seattle Seahawks in exchange for tight end Nick Vannett, a four-year veteran who caught a 13-yard pass against the Steelers during Seattle's Week 2 victory in Pittsburgh.

Dulac added that, per sources, the Steelers did not trade for Vannett due to starting tight end Vance McDonald's recent shoulder injury. Pittsburgh instead traded for Vannett -- who is entering the final year of his rookie contract -- to help bolster the team's depth at the tight end position.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:25 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:17 pm
Steelers are claiming it doesn't have to do with Vance McDonald being injured, that they just wanted to add depth. Can't believe its because they have a hard on to resign him, just let him go into FA
On Tuesday night, Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that the Steelers have traded a 2020 fifth round pick to the Seattle Seahawks in exchange for tight end Nick Vannett, a four-year veteran who caught a 13-yard pass against the Steelers during Seattle's Week 2 victory in Pittsburgh.

Dulac added that, per sources, the Steelers did not trade for Vannett due to starting tight end Vance McDonald's recent shoulder injury. Pittsburgh instead traded for Vannett -- who is entering the final year of his rookie contract -- to help bolster the team's depth at the tight end position.
I would think we would have taken a 7th rounder. Definitely a head scratcher. Maybe they feel bad about stealer the SB from us.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:49 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:17 pm
So wanting to bolster depth at TE had nothing to do with their starting TE going down? I'd say this Dulac guy needs to dig a little deeper there.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:50 pm

yea i was thinking that too...there be a relationship between depth and health..