dt

D-train

Re: So much consternation, fretting and stressing all for not

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:42 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:46 pm
auroraave wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:22 pm
Stats like this are completely misleading. 11 sacks in one game is going to massively skew the optics. That is not sustainable. Teams are not running the ball against seattle because they are having too much success PASSING it. Seattle is one of the worst pass defenses in the league giving up 280 YPG. You don't need to run the ball when the opposing team cannot stop the pass. As bad as denver's defense is... Seattle is right behind them in pass defense.

A bunch of highlights from one game against arguably the league's worst team means nothing - this defense is not that good. And on top of that, this offense sputtered most of the night and left too many points on the field. Injuries probably are impacting that.

I'm probably the only on one here who came away from that game even more concerned. Awful third down conversion rates again. Playing 15 yards off the ball on third and ten, bumbling offense. This game was ugly. Without the pick six and all those turnovers and sacks - seattle's offense was putrid. this reminded me of the 6-6 arizona game - hard to watch. Assembling all the defensive highlights and pretending the whole team shined is laughable.

SF is going to destroy this team. They are young and have a lot of growing up to do, witherspoon was amazing, hurtt finally mixed up the defense, but I did not come away impressed at all. Should have hung 40 on the giants but we managed to bumble around and keep it closer than it should have been.

Cue the "Seattle 70-3 over CInci" predictions. :lol:
Nah, you weren't. We were fortunate to get a win. We played horribly against a horrible team. We should have dominated that game. All the sacks be damned. Good news is, we have a lot of young players. Hopefully they can develop and get better. But the 2nd half of our schedule is BRU-TAL! Will be lucky to finish 9-8.
We won 24-3 and were lucky to win???? LOL So we are goin to finish 6-7? I shall take the over.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:54 pm

I know you guys are way too smart for PFF but here are the grades for D line man:

Jones 61.2
Reed 71.0
Edwards 74.5
Young 68.6
Adams 77.2
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:38 pm

It's gone from a great win to a crappy one, wow

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:43 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:38 pm
:) And the best we can hope for is to win 53% of our 17 games! lol
dt

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:42 am

D-train wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:43 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:38 pm
:) And the best we can hope for is to win 53% of our 17 games! lol
if we had drafted Anthony Richardson we'd win at least 19 of those. (Indy 0-2 with him btw, 2-0 without)

trharder

Post by trharder » Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:31 am

auroraave wrote:
Stats like this are completely misleading.
A bunch of highlights from one game against arguably the league's worst team means nothing - this defense is not that good. And on top of that, this offense sputtered most of the night and left too many points on the field. Injuries probably are impacting that.
SF is going to destroy this team. .
Overall, probably a good reality check, but I also think saying this defense "isn't that good" could haunt you. You probably meant - not as good as this one game, which is obvious and doesn't even need said.
This defense appears to me to be finding it's stride and could be very good.
The 9ers may well beat the Seahawks three times again this year, but we'll see. The 9er team that the Seahawks knocked out of the playoffs before going on to win the SB was really good too. This team is reminding me of the good ol days team...

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:16 pm

trharder wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:31 am
auroraave wrote:
Overall, probably a good reality check, but I also think saying this defense "isn't that good" could haunt you. You probably meant - not as good as this one game, which is obvious and doesn't even need said.
The 9ers may well beat the Seahawks three times again this year, but we'll see. The 9er team that the Seahawks knocked out of the playoffs before going on to win the SB was really good too. This team is reminding me of the good ol days team...
Exactly. I am glad somebody was able to decipher the point of the thread. lol
dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:10 pm

After the first game, forum morale was low. LOL.
Attachments
poll seahawks.PNG
poll seahawks.PNG (18.89 KiB) Viewed 815 times

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:50 pm

trharder wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:31 am
auroraave wrote:
Seattle's performance vs the Giants should not be construed as the baseline but rather an anomoly - and that is not a knock on them - they are good and are legitimately on the right trajectory - with more experience and snaps (this is a really young d/team) they may hit their stride late in the year - but they need to play teams like the 9ers to understand what they are really up against if they want to be an elite unit. None of this is a knock on the defense. SF is probably the best team in the league - that's also not a knock on Seattle. This is being objective. Better coached teams are going to exploit seattle's defense - that's just a fact. canlt get off the field on third down and 280 YPG passing against them - and that factors in NYG only throwing for 200 which makes it look better than it really is.

I loves Seattle's off season - they made quality moves all across the defense. Despite witherspoons highlights I would still rather have taken Carter as I feel Dline is more important and affects everything else - but I support the witherspoon pick and the reasoning behind it. Yeah, this is reminiscent of that team that barely lost to ATL (probably shoulda won) and are clearly trending in the right direction - this is a young young young team so the future is really bright, just not sure this season is going to be as fruitful as people's expectations - I think they are a year away and need a couple more pieces on defense - but they are really close. I really wonder if Geno can be the guy in the driver's seat for a run next year.