More on Clowney

Michael K.

Re: More on Clowney

Post by Michael K. » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:58 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:14 am
Michael K. wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:45 am
Green had four sacks. Sorry, the fact that THAT is improvement doesn’t necessarily fill me with hope that all of a sudden we have guys ready to explode. Collier had six freaking sacks his last year in college...then an impressive few days at the Senior Bowl makes him a first round pick?
and Clowney had a whopping three sacks, wasn't trying to imply an explosion, was figuring him for playing time. Don't know how good he is going to be but Pete is probably going to have to give chances. Collier has been compared to Bennett who really wasn't a big sack guy either seems to me, its versatility isn't it
So, we are now reduced to excitement because Pete has no choice but to give these guys that aint done shit a chance? I can't wait. Bennett wasn't a sack guy? He was Michael Effing Strahan compared to Green and Collier.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:03 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:58 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:14 am
Michael K. wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:45 am
Green had four sacks. Sorry, the fact that THAT is improvement doesn’t necessarily fill me with hope that all of a sudden we have guys ready to explode. Collier had six freaking sacks his last year in college...then an impressive few days at the Senior Bowl makes him a first round pick?
and Clowney had a whopping three sacks, wasn't trying to imply an explosion, was figuring him for playing time. Don't know how good he is going to be but Pete is probably going to have to give chances. Collier has been compared to Bennett who really wasn't a big sack guy either seems to me, its versatility isn't it
So, we are now reduced to excitement because Pete has no choice but to give these guys that aint done shit a chance? I can't wait. Bennett wasn't a sack guy? He was Michael Effing Strahan compared to Green and Collier.

For not being a big sack guy he had eight or more 3 of his 5 years here.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:36 pm

so then why are we so bent on needing Clowney back again?...

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:46 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:36 pm
I can't speak for everyone but I think Clowney's best years are ahead of him. I think he can give you the San Francisco game for 16 games. Have to have better talent around him and I think they did that.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:25 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
What are you taking about? I just answered that. In your own words, Mike B wasn't a sack guy...yet his production dwarfs that of at least half the DEs we have now. And I am pretty sure that Mike B in his prime was better than the two new guys we signed. Why? Because we had them both and Mike B in his prime, and we kept Mike B!

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:44 pm

ThePro wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:46 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
I can't speak for everyone but I think Clowney's best years are ahead of him. I think he can give you the San Francisco game for 16 games. Have to have better talent around him and I think they did that.
Yeah, I agree, maybe I made my point poorly. Not sure how accurate a number sacks are to judge a player. Its like RBIs, 16 sacks is great but i am not sure it means he is a significantly better player than the guy with 8-9 sacks. I didn't think Bennett was valued just because of his sack numbers, it was his versatility. There is also playing the run, something Clowney is good at as well.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:06 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:44 pm

Yeah, I agree, maybe I made my point poorly. Not sure how accurate a number sacks are to judge a player. Its like RBIs, 16 sacks is great but i am not sure it means he is a significantly better player than the guy with 8-9 sacks. I didn't think Bennett was valued just because of his sack numbers, it was his versatility. There is also playing the run, something Clowney is good at as well.
Oh, I gotcha.

My opinion is that he was very disruptive...despite a low number of sacks. I also think that the guys we brought in are more role player types. Team them with Clowney and we got something. Expect Mayowa and Irvin to be "the guy" in our pass rush? We have a problem.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:15 pm

Clowney had 605 snaps and 3 sacks. What that tells me is his 602 non sack snaps must have been pretty damn good to put up a 87.3 rating with 65 being average.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:30 pm

to get back to Collier, I wondered about him being compared to Bennett. Not gonna call it a red light but Bennett was a pretty unique ballplayer seems to me. They were not looking for Collier to make his living setting the edge, he wasn't going to be Frank Clark. Bennett was more complex than that, it would take experience to be that sort of player. On one hand the pick seemed like a need pick, but on the other they went with a guy they wanted to develop. This doesn't excuse his poor season, but i never figured he was going to be a big impact guy

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:47 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:30 pm
to get back to Collier, I wondered about him being compared to Bennett. Not gonna call it a red light but Bennett was a pretty unique ballplayer seems to me. They were not looking for Collier to make his living setting the edge, he wasn't going to be Frank Clark. Bennett was more complex than that, it would take experience to be that sort of player. On one hand the pick seemed like a need pick, but on the other they went with a guy they wanted to develop. This doesn't excuse his poor season, but i never figured he was going to be a big impact guy
Collier will get another pass this year as they blame his lack of production on Covid. And then at age 26 he might have a few sacks and be only slightly below average and it will be hailed as a resurgence and he will be commended for his perseverance and hard work next season.
dt