Parkinson

Michael K.

Re: Parkinson

Post by Michael K. » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:54 pm

ThePro wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:23 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:14 am
Would be like the Colts coach saying..."we love Jacob Eason...big strong guy with a cannon for an arm. But we like mobile guys, so we are gonna lean him up some and see if he runs better."

Jesus, once again, adding weight to a pass catcher is probably not going to improve his pass catching. Let's make a bad blocker below average...and in the process make a good pass catcher average.

Good God. This man won't be happy until we play 10 O Lineman and run QB draw every down!
I disagree. Not a good analogy. Parkinson becoming a better blocker will make him a better TE. The more he blocks it will help with his releases. It will make it harder for defenses to do their pre snap reads if they don't know if he's going to block or run a route.

My problem with it is if they need him to bulk up. Why the F did you draft him?
That is exactly my point. If the Colts wanted a running QB, draft one, not Eason. If we wanted a blocking TE, draft one, not a lean tall athlete. He plays TE, look at his build...do you think never in his career has someone thougth...."if you added muscle you'd be a better blocker!" Beefing him up MIGHT make him a better blocker, but I can only imagine it will make him less of a pass catching weapon. And, at his age and the type of athlete he is, lets not pretend just telling him to add muscle will do. Here boy, eat a bunch and lift weights. I can see it now. He comes into camp 20 lbs heavier and six months later we read about how the added weight really impeded his progress. That is why he was a healthy scratch all year...just couldn't get going!

These guys can't help themselves! Four years of tape on Jimmy Graham in New Orleans and it took us months to realize he shouldn't be a hand in the dirt type of TE!

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:28 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:54 pm
ThePro wrote:
Michael K. wrote:
Would be like the Colts coach saying..."we love Jacob Eason...big strong guy with a cannon for an arm. But we like mobile guys, so we are gonna lean him up some and see if he runs better."

Jesus, once again, adding weight to a pass catcher is probably not going to improve his pass catching. Let's make a bad blocker below average...and in the process make a good pass catcher average.

Good God. This man won't be happy until we play 10 O Lineman and run QB draw every down!
I disagree. Not a good analogy. Parkinson becoming a better blocker will make him a better TE. The more he blocks it will help with his releases. It will make it harder for defenses to do their pre snap reads if they don't know if he's going to block or run a route.

That is exactly my point. If the Colts wanted a running QB, draft one, not Eason. If we wanted a blocking TE, draft one, not a lean tall athlete. He plays TE, look at his build...do you think never in his career has someone thougth...."if you added muscle you'd be a better blocker!" Beefing him up MIGHT make him a better blocker, but I can only imagine it will make him less of a pass catching weapon. And, at his age and the type of athlete he is, lets not pretend just telling him to add muscle will do. Here boy, eat a bunch and lift weights. I can see it now. He comes into camp 20 lbs heavier and six months later we read about how the added weight really impeded his progress. That is why he was a healthy scratch all year...just couldn't get going!

These guys can't help themselves! Four years of tape on Jimmy Graham in New Orleans and it took us months to realize he shouldn't be a hand in the dirt type of TE!
Its like marring a hot stripper and telling her she needs to go to Harvard so she can sound more intelligent at social events.
dt

Boisehawk

Post by Boisehawk » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:11 pm

To say they want a blocking tight end is not correct. This kid already is a good receiving TE. They just want him to be an all around player. Any TE they selected would have done issues to work on.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:17 pm

Boisehawk wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:11 pm
To say they want a blocking tight end is not correct. This kid already is a good receiving TE. They just want him to be an all around player. Any TE they selected would have done issues to work on.
True but the issue is that it is very possible that "beefing" up will diminish his value as a receiving. Imagine telling Fant to lose weight so he can be more nimble in the open field after catching his one pass on the season. Teach him technique. Don't change his body to improve on the handful of plays a game his blocking might make a difference.
dt

Boisehawk

Post by Boisehawk » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:34 pm

Could be he just gets stronger, bigger and faster

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:53 pm

Boisehawk wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:34 pm
Could be he just gets stronger, bigger and faster
If so he should quit football and write a book on how to get stronger, bigger and faster with diet and exercise alone. He would be a billionaire within a year. :)
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri May 01, 2020 1:18 am

ThePro wrote:
Michael K. wrote:

exactly, they are going to try and make a NFL player out of him, you draft him as a project

he is not Jimmy Graham
Weaknesses
Carries thin limbs on a lean frame
Role is a little limited as a big slot
Not a very fiery competitor as a run blocker
Doesn't do much with his block once he gets it centered
Leverage is usually missing at the point of attack
Inconsistent dealing with contested catches
Allowed safeties to body and annoy him at times
Red-zone release was too predictable in 2019
Parkinson lacks great athleticism, but he showed enough ability as a pass catcher and blocker at Stanford to get consideration in the top half of Day 3. He may never develop into a starter at the next level, but at the very least Parkinson has the tools and football ability necessary to be a productive second tight end on the depth chart.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 01, 2020 2:05 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 1:18 am
ThePro wrote:
Michael K. wrote:

exactly, they are going to try and make a NFL player out of him, you draft him as a project

he is not Jimmy Graham
Weaknesses
Carries thin limbs on a lean frame
Role is a little limited as a big slot
Not a very fiery competitor as a run blocker
Doesn't do much with his block once he gets it centered
Leverage is usually missing at the point of attack
Inconsistent dealing with contested catches
Allowed safeties to body and annoy him at times
Red-zone release was too predictable in 2019
Parkinson lacks great athleticism, but he showed enough ability as a pass catcher and blocker at Stanford to get consideration in the top half of Day 3. He may never develop into a starter at the next level, but at the very least Parkinson has the tools and football ability necessary to be a productive second tight end on the depth chart.
I saw him catch more red zone jump balls in his 3 minute highlight video than I saw Graham catch in three years as a Hawk.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri May 01, 2020 2:06 am

Thin limbs on a lean frame. Yet, just eat and lift kid, you'll beef right up.

Reading shit in this forum about players being a worse pitcher because they lose fat and will just easily add bulk to be a better blocker makes me wonder about a lot. If it was that easy, why are there out of shape athletes? Why don't they all look like DK? Because it isn't possible. Yeah, I am sure that a tall kid that plays TE has never lifted weights before. He will just simply PACK it on because Pete wants him to. It will of course be the right kind of weight! :shock:

You want a blocking TE, draft one or sign one. When you draft a tall skinny kid, that has always been a tall skinny kid and assume that he can simply bulk up. Yep, I bet he's never tried that before. Let's trade for Jimmy and wast the first season trying to make him a blocker!

It's fucking stupid. We get it Pete. You want seven or eight O Lineman and play three yards and a cloud of dust. Why did you draft two TEs that are more WR then!

He builds his team one way, then tries to go power football....out of the damn pistol. It is stupid. Thank God we have a magician at Qb. That way we can play an extra week or two every year.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri May 01, 2020 3:59 am

if its good enough for a 42 year old Brady, seems like it could be good enough for a tight end

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... offseason/