Re: Drew's Team Now for the rest of 23?

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:56 pm

HawkandMariner88 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:14 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:09 am
57reasons wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:45 am

If it's Penix you like you dont have to move up, just grab him in first or second (trading back or trading up the 3rd rounder).
i want Jayden, which likely will require that big investment to move up into top 5. with the stacked drafts of the last two years it seems a good time to go for it, I agree. Subtract Adams and Diggs salaries, resign WIlliams and Love, draft another safety and a guard and we're repositioned in good shape.
I want Jayden too, but you'd likely have to trade up to the 4 seed to get him. The more games we win to finish the season, the harder and more expensive he will be to obtain.
I highly doubt they win out. Especially with Lock at QB. But honestly their not that far off. I would also look into trading DK too as a possibility.
Geno will start Christmas Eve.
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:06 pm

This should still be Geno's team - he's the better talent even if not by much. If they could possibly find a way to draft Daniels out of LSU, that would be epic. Always stay away from QB's from Ohio state and USC - they never translate to the NFL (insert the one exception... now). This team is not far off - really one draft away from the real future nucleus - they really need to solidify the LB room and grow the QB room. Lock is not the answer unless the question is 'who is your current back up?' Nice win, but eking out 20 points against a trending down defense is not something to brag about.

geno as the starter, lock back up potentially, although someone will likely try to sign him (and overpay him) in the off season. Here's the question: do you put all of your emphasis on the starting QB and hope for no injuries, or do you have a slightly lesser starter but a better back up making the drop off lesser (factoring in the salary cap ramifications of the position group)? No one survives the full season anymore - making the back up even more valuable. Look at Denver - if wilson goes down that's $50 million sitting on the sidelines. NOT an enviable situation.

If there is anyway to get Daniels, that would be amazing. Houshmanzadah was raving about his improvements from last year to this - thinks he is the guy to get and would make seattle very formidable with this roster. wherever seattle drafts they HAVE to get a QB with future potential - and in this league now, they have to be a duel threat. Straight up pocket passers aren't the way the league is going anymore, and I think what really hurts Penix value is his lack of ground production, ironically. Dude can sling it for sure, though.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:22 pm

Almost every Mock has USC's Williams going 1st overall but one of these guys has him falling to 6th. But he also has us taking a WR so he might just be an idiot.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft/
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:23 pm

I sure we will pick a WR at some point but obviously won't be in the 1st round.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:56 pm

Quite the speech by McDaniel:
dt

douche

Post by douche » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:22 pm

Seahawks QBs:

Zorn - undrafted
Krieg - undrafted
Kitna - undrafted
Hasselbeck - 6th rounder
Jackson - 2nd rounder
Wilson - 3rd rounder
Smith - 2nd rounder
Lock - 2nd rounder

Hell, even Moon was undrafted (but he's an anomaly and wasn't drafted for reasons we won't get into).

Mirer was their only 1st round pick at the position and we all know how that turned out.

We can talk about our dream QBs all day long but my point is that I really don't see Carroll & Co. drafting/trading for a 1st round quarterback. Not as long as PC is running the show.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:30 pm

They have always been interested in the talented QBs entering the draft. I just think that the price has always been too high. I mean, the guys they wanted were gone by the time they picked and the remaining QBs would have been to much of a reach. They have shown that they aren't afraid to reach, just not at QB. I also am not sure that reaching has been a good thing for them. I guess many thought Walker was a reach, but I didn't. Now....C Mike? Epic reach! Penny? Ugh, not only a reach, but wasn't even the best option at the position he played. But that is beating a dead horse. I actually wonder if the Giants would even re-think going RB that early in that draft, and Barkley was supposed to be a generational talent. I just think there are too many RBs available to take on in the first round.

3 NFL Draft Betting: First RB Drafted Odds And Trends - The Lines
https://www.thelines.com/odds/nfl-draft/rb/

1st-round running backs - Was Barkley's early selection end of era ...
https://fantasyindex.com/2022/04/12/aro ... ning-backs

NFL draft: How many running backs were taken in Round 1 past decade?
https://thelistwire.usatoday.com/lists/ ... -robinson/

Here are the running backs drafted in the first round of the NFL draft in recent years:
2021: Najee Harris and Travis Etienne
2020: None
2019: Josh Jacobs
2018: Saquon Barkley, Rashaad Penny, Sony Michel
2017: Leonard Fournette, Christian McCaffrey, Dalvin Cook
2016: Ezekiel Elliott
2015: Todd Gurley, Melvin Gordon
2014: None
2013: None

Besides CMC, I am not sure there are many real difference makers. And even CMC is playing for a different team than drafted him and probably played about half the possible games for the Panthers. Gurley was a beast but resigning him put the Rams in a whole they have struggled to get out of. There are so many good to very good RBs that are not on that list. I just don't think it's worth it. Unfortunately? The same could be said at QB. Mayfield, Manziel, Danny Dimes and many others are first round busts. It's just that Mahomes, Allen, Burrow and others skew it the other way. Shit, just last year. It is obviously early, but Young looks like a poster boy for the perils of taking QB in the first, while Stroud looks like a franchise savior!

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:04 pm

douche wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:22 pm
Seahawks QBs:

Zorn - undrafted
Krieg - undrafted
Kitna - undrafted
Hasselbeck - 6th rounder
Jackson - 2nd rounder
Wilson - 3rd rounder
Smith - 2nd rounder
Lock - 2nd rounder

Hell, even Moon was undrafted (but he's an anomaly and wasn't drafted for reasons we won't get into).

Mirer was their only 1st round pick at the position and we all know how that turned out.

We can talk about our dream QBs all day long but my point is that I really don't see Carroll & Co. drafting/trading for a 1st round quarterback. Not as long as PC is running the show.
McGwire was also a first rounder. Could have take some guy named Brett Favre instead. :|
dt

HawkandMariner88

Post by HawkandMariner88 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:18 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:04 pm
douche wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:22 pm
Seahawks QBs:

Zorn - undrafted
Krieg - undrafted
Kitna - undrafted
Hasselbeck - 6th rounder
Jackson - 2nd rounder
Wilson - 3rd rounder
Smith - 2nd rounder
Lock - 2nd rounder

McGwire was also a first rounder. Could have take some guy named Brett Favre instead. :|
Could have traded for some guy named Elway too. How stupid can a franchise be.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:52 pm

Overall the Mariners have been a disaster but at least they had the sense to pick Griffey and ARod instead of Mike Harkey and Darren Dreifort.
dt