Geno's Future

DanielVogelbach

Re: Geno's Future

Post by DanielVogelbach » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:33 am

Seahawks might not be a true contender. I have no idea. But, i do like the strategy of playing super conservative in the first half. There’s no advantage to winning by 30 really. So use the beginning to go low risk and gather info.

trharder

Post by trharder » Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:59 pm

DanielVogelbach wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:59 pm
Run the numbers. 14-0 is much easier to overcome than 3-0. Especially if you’re the superior football team. In baseball the superior team loses to the inferior team much more easily. Also baseball doesn’t use the first 3q to gather info. Football comes down to the 4th very often whereas baseball is often a 90% + win for one team after the 7th inning. Not even close on this comparison. Basketball is similar. You win in the 4th a large percentage of the time.
This comparison is utter bull shit.
A 14 point lead in the first quarter in football is no guarantee of winning - so, don't bother to try and score 14 points in the first quarter?
That's effing stupid.
The time of possession stat is not just a fourth quarter stat. Going three and out over and over because your team is being ultra conservative
puts an undue burden on the defense. If the defense isn't being dominant themselves, it's demoralizing and a recipe to lose.
In the NFL you face a lot of teams that have high flying offenses. The best way to beat them is to keep their offense off the field.

Because NFL games are often still in doubt at the beginning of the fourth quarter you should not put your foot on the gas of the offense
until the fourth quarter???? Complete and absolute bull shit.
The most reliable way to win football games is to blow the other team out if you can. period.
This seems so obvious, I'm ashamed to have even typed it.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:17 pm

trharder wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:59 pm
DanielVogelbach wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:59 pm
Run the numbers. 14-0 is much easier to overcome than 3-0. Especially if you’re the superior football team. In baseball the superior team loses to the inferior team much more easily. Also baseball doesn’t use the first 3q to gather info. Football comes down to the 4th very often whereas baseball is often a 90% + win for one team after the 7th inning. Not even close on this comparison. Basketball is similar. You win in the 4th a large percentage of the time.
This comparison is utter bull shit.
A 14 point lead in the first quarter in football is no guarantee of winning - so, don't bother to try and score 14 points in the first quarter?
That's effing stupid.
The time of possession stat is not just a fourth quarter stat. Going three and out over and over because your team is being ultra conservative
puts an undue burden on the defense. If the defense isn't being dominant themselves, it's demoralizing and a recipe to lose.
In the NFL you face a lot of teams that have high flying offenses. The best way to beat them is to keep their offense off the field.

Because NFL games are often still in doubt at the beginning of the fourth quarter you should not put your foot on the gas of the offense
until the fourth quarter???? Complete and absolute bull shit.
The most reliable way to win football games is to blow the other team out if you can. period.
This seems so obvious, I'm ashamed to have even typed it.
Well said. Sorry, anyone who watched us lose playoff games to the Packers and Panthers where we were down big early playing Pete's bullshit scared of his shadow style of football, came back and lost? Anyone that watched us lose a playoff game to the Cowboys who were great at stopping the run and we decided all we would do is run? All those three an outs because Pete is a fucking scared little bitch, and people still defend this style!? Name the last Super Bowl champ that played that way!? One of the years the Chiefs won the AFC, Mahomes was injured and on fourth and short the Chiefs iced the game, by THROWING it with the backup QB! The week after we got destroyed by the Rams because Ramsey shadowed DK and we just threw our hands up and cried about it? The Packers moved Adams all over the field and kicked the Rams asses....and Jalen bitched and cried the entire game.

In my entire life I have never seen one coach go further on one ring ever. He is responsible for exactly as many Super Bowl losses as he is wins, he has been mediocre at best ever since he threw away a dynasty on second and goal, and he can still flip the fans off right to their face and they will lick his fucking boots!

All the BS of "be careful what you wish for" and the shit that Wyman spews about what might happen next? Well, the Husky fan in me can't help but remember that is what everyone said about Sark. Damn, it sucks that we had to have Chris Petersen and Calen DeBoer after him, right? Get someone in here with a semblance of current offensive philosophy. Someone that can self-scout well enough to realize what his RBs do best and that Jamal Adams can't cover. Instead? We will sneak into the playoffs again, get trounced, and then spend an entire off season reading about all the great things yet to come. Only to do it all over again.

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:09 pm

It’s not a matter of “trying to score in the first quarter”. It’s about playing conservative and low risk while gathering information on your opponent. It’s great if you can go up 14-0, but not in high risk plays. Throw the ball away. Punt. I think this strategy works best when you have a great defense. If you know your defense sucks, then it probably makes more sense to play riskier on offense early in the game.

Lamda

Post by Lamda » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:25 pm

I'm going to throw out a bizarre strategy that says lets score 14 points every quarter and see if we are winners at the end of the game. No lets gather intel on our opponents bs, lets just score, then score some more, and then score again for good measure. I might be crazy but that seems to be a winning formula for me. :D :lol:

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:17 am

Lamda wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:25 pm
I'm going to throw out a bizarre strategy that says lets score 14 points every quarter and see if we are winners at the end of the game. No lets gather intel on our opponents bs, lets just score, then score some more, and then score again for good measure. I might be crazy but that seems to be a winning formula for me. :D :lol:
Nope, if you go three and out until the 4th quarter, then play desperation football because you are down more than two scores? It's better. Again, just look at pretty much every Pete Carroll playoff loss in the NFL.

The guy is full of shit anyway. He NEVER played this way at USC.

Lamda

Post by Lamda » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:53 am

Michael K. wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:17 am
Lamda wrote:
Nope, if you go three and out until the 4th quarter, then play desperation football because you are down more than two scores? It's better. Again, just look at pretty much every Pete Carroll playoff loss in the NFL.

The guy is full of shit anyway. He NEVER played this way at USC.
Yup - nothing like tiring out the defense for 3 1/2 quarters and then going C'mon guys we gotta hold-em now!!! lol...

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:50 pm

The play that should be called the Pete Carroll conundrum play is having the ball on opponents 40 on 4th and one down by 6 with 3 minutes left in the game and instead of going for it you punt and the punt sails into the end zone for a touch back so your net gain is 20 yards and you need your shitty D to force a 3 and out or you lose the game. lol
dt

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:53 pm

Lamda wrote:
"Scoring 14 points per quarter" is not a strategy. Strategy is choosing formations, calling plays, etc. Of course if you could just dictate the score that would result in a lot of wins. smh