Offensive Coordinator

Donn Beach

Re: Offensive Coordinator

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:57 am

Kelly would seem an interesting choice, you're definitely putting him in charge of the offense. MacDonald has his defense to worry about. And it would be a different type of offense than we are use to

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:37 pm

Seems Kelly has pretty much sucked the last few seasons

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:59 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:37 pm
Seems Kelly has pretty much sucked the last few seasons
How has Kelly sucked? He's had winning records and had UCLA ranked the last three years. I'm not advocating him for OC, but explain how he has sucked. Also, I see no chance Bienemy is a candidate. There were rumors Reid was pushing other teams to hire him because he wanted to get rid of him. He is nothing special. I can see Seattle targeting someone from Reid's staff, hence the delay, but I cannot see them chasing Bienemy.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:13 pm

Grabbed that to see what Kelly was up to lately, number one on the misery index
Once upon a time, the whole point of hiring Chip Kelly was acquiring whatever X’s and O’s were floating around in his supposedly brilliant offensive mind. And at a certain moment in college football history, that mind was not just brilliant, it was revolutionary and disruptive to the point where he almost won a national championship at Oregon.

But now? Now, football is different. And maybe Kelly is different. Or just not as good as he used to be. Or perhaps he's completely out of ideas.

Whatever the reason, can Kelly still be considered an offensive genius if it’s a rare occurrence for him to put together an elite offense?

In his first four years at UCLA, Kelly’s offenses finished 75th, 65th, 21st and 30th nationally. Last year, the Bruins popped up to No. 4, averaging 503 yards per game behind terrific production from quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson and running back Zach Charbonnet.

That wasn't a trend, though. It was an outlier. Before this weekend, UCLA ranked 45th in yards per play and badly needed its defense to dominate just to be competitive against solid opponents.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 556923007/

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:45 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:13 pm
Grabbed that to see what Kelly was up to lately, number one on the misery index
Once upon a time, the whole point of hiring Chip Kelly was acquiring whatever X’s and O’s were floating around in his supposedly brilliant offensive mind. And at a certain moment in college football history, that mind was not just brilliant, it was revolutionary and disruptive to the point where he almost won a national championship at Oregon.

But now? Now, football is different. And maybe Kelly is different. Or just not as good as he used to be. Or perhaps he's completely out of ideas.

Whatever the reason, can Kelly still be considered an offensive genius if it’s a rare occurrence for him to put together an elite offense?

In his first four years at UCLA, Kelly’s offenses finished 75th, 65th, 21st and 30th nationally. Last year, the Bruins popped up to No. 4, averaging 503 yards per game behind terrific production from quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson and running back Zach Charbonnet.

That wasn't a trend, though. It was an outlier. Before this weekend, UCLA ranked 45th in yards per play and badly needed its defense to dominate just to be competitive against solid opponents.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/c ... 556923007/

Ahhh, the old "cut and paste someone else's opinion and use it as your own." How original. You must really know your football! :lol:

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:37 pm

Cut and paste? You asked and I showed you what I read, where did I say it's my opinion? "Seems he sucks" would indicate it's not my opinion. You don't read, good for you

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:54 pm

See fieldgulls has an article on it now, they don't indicate they think he sucks, link an article that his job security is shaky. Donors don't like him, could be a NIL casualty

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2024/2/6/240 ... r-nfl-news
Last edited by Donn Beach on Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:57 pm

UCLA was pretty good with DTR, a sixth year QB, and Charbonnet, an NFL RB. Otherwise the offense has been pretty damn bad at UCLA. I wasn't aware this was shocking news to anyone. Let's put it this way, if KDB and Grubb had offensive production similar to Chipper? They wouldn't have jobs at Bama, or Washington, or just about anywhere else for that matter. Chip is living off reputation.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:41 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:37 pm
Cut and paste? You asked and I showed you what I read, where did I say it's my opinion? "Seems he sucks" would indicate it's not my opinion. You don't read, good for you
Yeah those were some interesting stats and a quick way to catch up on what he has been up to. I had lost track of him. Thanks for posting.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:43 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:57 pm
UCLA was pretty good with DTR, a sixth year QB, and Charbonnet, an NFL RB. Otherwise the offense has been pretty damn bad at UCLA. I wasn't aware this was shocking news to anyone. Let's put it this way, if KDB and Grubb had offensive production similar to Chipper? They wouldn't have jobs at Bama, or Washington, or just about anywhere else for that matter. Chip is living off reputation.
I wonder how he was so good at Oregon. Great players or teams hadn't figured out how to stop his scheme yet or both....
dt