3 most over looked positive changes

Donn Beach

Re: 3 most over looked positive changes

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Jul 16, 2024 8:51 pm

It's up to them how they spend their money. The fact is they have the cheapest oline in league and by a wide margin. My concern is getting the new offense off the ground. If they pull it off cool. For me that show some great coaching with the oline. An area that over the years has drawn heat for failures. What I'd like to see is an effective offensive line. If they can do that without spending on it okay. It seems like something JS is intent on accomplishing

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:21 am

Duane Brown is about the only decent lineman they have traded for or signed in the past decade. They now will have 4 starting linemen on rookie contracts.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jul 17, 2024 2:57 am

That offensive line thing is all about acquisition, and the mix in the room between veteran leadership and talent. That cohesion that goes along with it,” Schneider said. “Some of the best offensive lines I’ve been around (he was an executive with the Packers and Chiefs before becoming Seattle’s GM in January 2010), and the best teams, frankly, are the ones that have the core group of offensive linemen. We have to have that mentality.

“We need to bring those young guys along—rookies, second-year guys, moving (Justin) Britt to center and all of that. But they have to have that cohesion. In Kansas City, we had Tim Grunhard and Will Shields and Dave Szott—those guys played together for a number of years. In Green Bay, we had Mike Flanagan, Mike Wahle, (Marco) Rivera, (Chad) Clifton and (Mark) Tauscher play together for a long time. That group in particular is a group that played with that cohesion and really had that level of confidence in each other.”
When has JS ever accomplished that? Yeah he has drafted plenty of linemen over the years. But as I read it, since 2010 they have only given two second contacts to offensive linemen, Britt and Pocic.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:37 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:21 am
Duane Brown is about the only decent lineman they have traded for or signed in the past decade. They now will have 4 starting linemen on rookie contracts.
So, remind me the last real good to even good O Lineman available in a trade? Which one of the below studs would you have had them sign? The salary isn’t the issue, and they have used draft picks on guys. It wasn’t a lack of effort, it was a lack of execusion.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents ... ract_value

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:44 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2024 2:57 am

That offensive line thing is all about acquisition, and the mix in the room between veteran leadership and talent. That cohesion that goes along with it,” Schneider said. “Some of the best offensive lines I’ve been around (he was an executive with the Packers and Chiefs before becoming Seattle’s GM in January 2010), and the best teams, frankly, are the ones that have the core group of offensive linemen. We have to have that mentality.

“We need to bring those young guys along—rookies, second-year guys, moving (Justin) Britt to center and all of that. But they have to have that cohesion. In Kansas City, we had Tim Grunhard and Will Shields and Dave Szott—those guys played together for a number of years. In Green Bay, we had Mike Flanagan, Mike Wahle, (Marco) Rivera, (Chad) Clifton and (Mark) Tauscher play together for a long time. That group in particular is a group that played with that cohesion and really had that level of confidence in each other.”
When has JS ever accomplished that? Yeah he has drafted plenty of linemen over the years. But as I read it, since 2010 they have only given two second contacts to offensive linemen, Britt and Pocic.
They re-upped Max Unger. But other than him and Russell Okung did they draft anyone worth re-signing?

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:54 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:37 pm
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:21 am
So, remind me the last real good to even good O Lineman available in a trade? Which one of the below studs would you have had them sign? The salary isn’t the issue, and they have used draft picks on guys. It wasn’t a lack of effort, it was a lack of execusion.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents ... ract_value
I would agree the most egregious failing has been with the draft. That said, without Adams & Diggs' dead cap they could have signed Hunt and Cushionberry who, though not necessarily great, would be a significant upgrade on Laken and Olu.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:28 pm

I understand that, but again, how do they make that trade for Adams and not extend him? PC wanted yet another shiny new toy, but yet again, didn’t know how to play with it.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:16 pm

JS defending his trading for Adams
“It was the COVID year,” Schneider said, via Mookie Alexander of FieldGulls.com. “We were picking [23rd overall in 2020], and in order to go from where we were and trying to [move] up to pick a guy like Jamal, who was picked [sixth overall in 2017], you’ve got to give up another first-round pick the next year. He came in here, our coaches did a great job with him, he had 9.5 sacks, goes to the Pro Bowl, is completely disruptive. He comes back the next year, he’s having a good season, gets hurt. Then he gets hurt again [Week 1 of 2022] — like really, really bad injury. So I feel bad for him.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:12 pm

It was the Covid year...

:roll:

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:26 pm

It impacted the draft, JS decided to bail on it. Which actually looks like a good idea

Three years ago, it was showcased as a draft class that could prove that all the hullabaloo of NFL talent evaluation was a waste of time, money and energy. The 2020 pandemic draft class was championed as a collection of picks defined by what the game tape says about a player.

Thanks to a COVID-19 pandemic that eliminated the vast majority of pro days, personal workouts and in-person visits with NFL Draft prospects, 2020 became a laboratory test of sorts. It all pointed to a fascinating line of questions: How well could teams select players without all of the extra due diligence scheduled between the scouting combine and draft? What if they were largely forced to lean on one set of combine workouts, game tape and Zoom interviews rather than additional on-site visits and drills? How well would teams handle an at-home draft process, which stood as a dramatic change to the bunkered down “war room” discussions that mark modern drafts?

The answers this week? Not encouraging

That same 2020 pandemic class that leaned so heavily on game tape has set a benchmark for first-round futility with a record-setting 20 players failing to have their fifth-year options picked up by their NFL teams