Official 2020 NFL Draft thread

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: Official 2020 NFL Draft thread

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:45 pm

It's probably happened with prior Schneider picks. Was Irvin there? Collier? They should just wheel in a dummy for Geddell to hug when the Seahawks announce their pick. :lol:

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:52 pm

Awesome. A guy "guaranteed to go in the top 60" went 27....to us. I feel so much better about that now.

Oh, and that historically awesome drafting organization the Raiders also took a guy too early. Now I really feel better.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:07 pm

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:25 pm
@ThePro

Its in his draft profile that he played Wagner's position in college but has the athleticism to play WILL and that's a viable path for him in the NFL.

Teams also don't draft converted wideouts in the 5th round and turn them into perennial All Pro's at corner... not saying Dunbar is an All-Pro... but he's certainly been a very good corner the last number of years and I for one think the Hawks see him in a very similar light to Sherman... former wideout with great ball skills and route reading ability.

@Michael K

1. He's a small linebacker? He's 6'0 240 lbs with 33 inch arms. I wouldn't call him small. Yeah they call him Bobby Wagner, like that's a bad thing? He's going to play opposite Wagner... what, do you actually think they are just going to sit him for 3 years? Pete is already talking about him playing outside...

2. If you do the research... Brooks made an appearance in the rumor mill over and over in the weeks leading up to the draft about possibly being drafted in the late first round. I don't think those rumors are unfounded... no reason not to believe them because they became true. Irvin has been a quality player in the NFL and def helped in their Super Bowl years... he got PAID. McDowell nailed his head... so we'll never know. CMike was one of the last picks in the 2nd round, while it wasn't a great selection... he didn't carry the same weight as a 1st rounder. Ifedi was drafted exactly where he was projected. I hated the Penny pick... that's the one where I think the Hawks truly fucked up. But that's going to happen from time to time.

3. One thing to take into account is the other best pass rushers you're talking about were Bennett, Clemons and Avril. 2 were undrafted and one was a 3rd rounder who was shipped to us after playing for a team that had 0 wins... so that should tell you about the current regime and where they believe they can find edge talent. I think Collier and Green have some upside opposite Clowney, Green certainly showed up last year, and Mayowa/Irvin will be a nice duo as situational rushers opposite Clowney. If they sign Clowney... all this edge talk will be for not.

4. I like Diggs + McDougald + Blaire. Thought Blaire looked really, really good in his limited time last year. Diggs is an absolute stud and McDougald is both solid + affordable. I think KJ played at a replacement level last year but at a starter's price... which is why he's a prime candidate to be cut. That would leave just Barton and Wagner, which is why I think the move was made in the draft. I just don't see the need to add another safety into the fold when all are relatively young, controlled and affordable. I do see them drafting a safety somewhat early next year though!

5. No... they have 2 quality starting outside corners in Griffin and Dunbar + Flowers as depth... they also have Akeem King and Ugo Amadi in the slot. I have them taking a corner... but not in the first round. Likely in the 5th round + like they typically do and purely for depth reasons.
So you don't know? Paragraphs to talk outta your ass.

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:11 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:52 pm
Awesome. A guy "guaranteed to go in the top 60" went 27....to us. I feel so much better about that now.

Oh, and that historically awesome drafting organization the Raiders also took a guy too early. Now I really feel better.
No. Top 50.

Brooks' range was anywhere from 27 to 50 apparently.

About the only players who are left in the draft that were figured to possibly be drafted before 27 are Yetur Gross Matos and Xavier McKinney. Maybe AJ Espenesa. The rest fit right into that 27 to 50 range.

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:21 pm

@ThePro

Responses given the evidence.

All I can work worth.

For some reason the majority of your points you routinely make tend to contradict the evidence and do not correspond with the moves they've made.

1. He's not small... not pulling that out of my ass.

2. Rumors were rampant that Brooks was considered possibly a 1st round pick... not pulling that out of my ass, he was selected there.

3. Given that they didn't draft Matos or another edge rusher, indications are they view edge rushing in a different light. I've maintained that message in my mocks... it's not new... haven't had them taking an edge rusher in the first round of any draft to my recollection. I believe I've had them taking a DE with one of our 2nd round picks Zuniga and Anae, if not in the 4th or 5th rounds with Tevis and Alton... Talks of late are they are still in on Clowney, wan't him back... not pulling that out of my ass.

4. They traded for Diggs who balled out, Blaire is a 2nd round pick who played well, McDougald has been a good player and isn't expensive... That's a good little tandem... with McDougald going into the final year of his deal I think it might be a good time to draft a safety next year... not pulling that out of my ass.

5. For some reason you maintain that Dunbar is not a good corner and he's not going to start. I think you're pulling that out of your ass. No idea why you discount PFF so much... they could not possibly be so wrong on Dunbar compared to Flowers as to have a 30 point gap in their performances last year. Yet you keep beating that dead horse.

6. The only thing that I'm guessing on is that KJ might be a cut option... but the evidence there is they just took a linebacker in 1st round who Pete has said will play outside. I could be wrong here... but his price is high, performance low... and he's getting old.
Last edited by IStillLoveTheMs on Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:24 pm

Things to never say when trying to support your opinion about the NFL draft. "The Raiders did it too!"

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:29 pm

I love the stories now saying they tried to trade back so they could take him in the second round. So, they had to take him at 27 because someone else might, but the first plan was to trade out of the first all together and still get him!?

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:29 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:24 pm
Things to never say when trying to support your opinion about the NFL draft. "The Raiders did it too!"
You're the one who asked the question. I just answered it.

Not supporting my opinion, simply answered the question you asked.

Quit framing things like that. It's completely dishonest.

Michael K: "Tell me! What other player ever would have been selected who didn't have a camera!"

Me: "The Raiders took a corner who didn't multiple picks earlier..."

Michael K: "WOW AND YOU THINK THE RAIDERS WERE JUSTIFIED IN THAT PICK TOO! WOW... YOU'RE REALLY REFERENCING THE RAIDERS TO SUPPORT YOUR OPINION!?"

Me: "Huh...? No... just answering your question."

You see how fucking stupid that looks?
Last edited by IStillLoveTheMs on Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:31 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:29 pm
I love the stories now saying they tried to trade back so they could take him in the second round. So, they had to take him at 27 because someone else might, but the first plan was to trade out of the first all together and still get him!?
No... you're wrong. They tried to trade back to 30 and had a deal in place with the Packers who were trading up to draft Jordan Love. The Packers instead did a deal with the Dolphins to move up to 26th and the Hawks couldn't find a partner to trade back so they drafted the highest player on their board.

They would have drafted him at 30... but it fell through.

Rumors are the Ravens were high on him at 28, the Packers were high on him at 30 but Love was available so they traded up, and possibly the Bengals at 33.

I've said this 40 times now...

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:36 pm

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:31 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:29 pm
No... you're wrong. They tried to trade back to 30 and had a deal in place with the Packers who were trading up to draft Jordan Love. The Packers instead did a deal with the Dolphins to move up to 26th and the Hawks couldn't find a partner to trade back so they drafted the highest player on their board.

They would have drafted him at 30... but it fell through.

Rumors are the Ravens were high on him at 28, the Packers were high on him at 30 but Love was available so they traded up, and possibly the Bengals at 33.

I've said this 40 times now...
You've told me rumors and maybes. The bottom line is we took a six foot two hundred forty pound LB hoping he can take over for one of the guys we already have, guys we didn't use first round capital for. And yes, when you pointed out the Raiders did it I responded that might not be the best example of things you should do. You don't agree?