Well, at least one of our teams does something at the trade dealine!

SeattleAddict

Re: Well, at least one of our teams does something at the trade dealine!

Post by SeattleAddict » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:21 am

acctingman wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:20 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:42 pm
one more note that adds value to this trade... if he signs elsewhere in the off-season, we should get a compensatory pick, probably a 4th rounder or better.

I'm stoked about this trade. Leonard Williams is a stud, and suddenly our defense is crazy deep. D. Jones, Reed, Edwards and Williams is a top-tier D-line, with Mafe having a Pro-Bowl caliber season, too? Pair that with BWags and Brooks and the best secondary in the NFL?

Damn.

Absolutely crazy the way they flipped the roster from pre-2022 season, where just about everybody had us as close to the worst team in the league.
I don't think the secondary is sniffing the best in the NFL. From what I'm seeing, stat wise, they are middle of the road. They are good though and Witherspoon is amazing.
lmao "stat wise"? They spent the first month of the season down 3 CBs and an all-pro (when healthy) safety. If not for bullshit penalties, they'd also have 2 more INTs and a couple of sacks, plus probably several completions that wouldn't have even been because they would've been off the field.

I don't know what it is with people cherry-picking stats to evaluate what's going on. You have to look at the big picture and put those stats in context.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:43 am

People bitching on X about giving up a 2nd round pick for a rental. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Probably the same people that bitched about us taking a CB over a NT in the first round....
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:58 am

SeattleAddict wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:46 pm
Huge get. Exactly what most of us have been begging for - a difference making interior D-lineman.

Whether he starts or not is irrelevant, as now they can actually have a rotation that doesn't suck. Remember that Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett didn't start most of their time during the SB years. They were at their best when they were fresh and rotating in.

2nd round pick for a guy that is immediately one of the best players on the defensive line is a good deal. If we drafted a guy with that #64 overall pick, he's probably not going to be as big an impact.

And if all you base your evaluation of a DT is their sack totals, you are really missing the point of what a DT does.
1000%! This is a great signing. Monster in the middle - a space eater on pass plays that'll draw double teams - opening gaps for Brooks, Adams, etal to attack the QB, and eating blockers on run plays so the LB's can attack the gaps and stuff the run. Great sign. Vet who know the league, can teach the youts, excellent depth. Love love love this signing. Questioning this because he doesn't 'wrack up sacks' is actually hilarious - spoken like someone who has no understanding of line play and assignments. Unless you can 'cut and paste' some monster stats "he must suck". Meanwhile everyone else's stats are going up because he does his job. :lol:

Another huge factor is bolstring the run game will take pressure off the secondary players having to make so many tackles - they need to be playing ins space and reducing hat kind of punishment - witherspoon won't last the season stuffing runs the front seven are whiffing on. Let them attack the screens but leave stuff between the c gaps for the hogs up front to handle. Underrated bonus. bet they extend him.
Last edited by auroraave on Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:01 am

Yep, MK2s thread title says it all. One team goes balls to the wall and one team sit and spins....
dt

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:06 am

Julian Love played with him with the Giants, Adams with the Jets, Nwosu at USC, and they are all super excited about it.

That's three really good and really key players that vouch for him, and should make the transition easy for him, and be in his ear about re-signing in the off-season.

trharder

Post by trharder » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:31 am

This and the Frank Clark re-sign feel like Pete and JS are all in. All in might mean a "two-year window", but whatever. They like this team a lot.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:22 am

That was my point earlier, I don't think they aim at windows. I think they are intent on competing each and every season. They don't sacrifice the future but at the same time they don't waste seasons on rebuilding. They don't play for high draft picks. When they see an opportunity they do their best to take advantage of it. And that's John Schneider, who seems a bit neglected in terms of props, what he accomplishes. He keeps the machinery running smoothly season to season. He brings in talent and stays out of cap trouble. What Dipoto talks, JS walks. He's a clever GM, him and Pete are a good team

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:05 am

trharder wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:31 am
This and the Frank Clark re-sign feel like Pete and JS are all in. All in might mean a "two-year window", but whatever. They like this team a lot.
Two year window??? Who is leaving that will result in the window closing?
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:15 pm

Yeah, looks like Seattle is def going all in... Joey Hunter is BACK.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/10/30/2 ... s#comments

from comments section... GOLD
I guess they signed Joey Hunt to give Leonard Williams practice rag dolling Centers.
Joey Hunt: we just can't quit ya...
Damnit this guy is the missing piece. This is it. We are set.
Joey Hunt, league MVP. Calling it now
Sadly, for you super fans, I just checked and his jersey is already sold out. :cry:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:38 pm

auroraave wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:15 pm
Yeah, looks like Seattle is def going all in... Joey Hunter is BACK.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/10/30/2 ... s#comments

from comments section... GOLD
I guess they signed Joey Hunt to give Leonard Williams practice rag dolling Centers.
Joey Hunt: we just can't quit ya...
Damnit this guy is the missing piece. This is it. We are set.
Joey Hunt, league MVP. Calling it now
Sadly, for you super fans, I just checked and his jersey is already sold out. :cry:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt would have been an absolute beast if he was born 60 years earlier and the average O lineman was 237 lbs. lol
dt