Should we be worried about Geno's play?

D-train

Re: Should we be worried about Geno's play?

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:04 pm

Yikes. Definitely should have "forced it to him" on this play....
dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:22 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:04 pm
]https://twitter.com/new_era72/status/17 ... 2576746554[
But that wouldn't have been "forcing" it.
I don't remember exactly at what point they were in the game on this play, but I wonder if the ugly pick was the next play.
It does line up with my theory that Geno is worrying too much about his receiver's sniveling.
JSN is a rookie that has not earned much equity at this point. IF he's getting in Geno's ear - bench him until he learns his place.

At the time, not being able to see the whole field, I was thinking - "it's about time you ran a little you pussy, Geno".

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:29 pm

trharder wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:22 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:04 pm
]https://twitter.com/new_era72/status/17 ... 2576746554[
But that wouldn't have been "forcing" it.
I don't remember exactly at what point they were in the game on this play, but I wonder if the ugly pick was the next play.
It does line up with my theory that Geno is worrying too much about his receiver's sniveling.
JSN is a rookie that has not earned much equity at this point. IF he's getting in Geno's ear - bench him until he learns his place.

At the time, not being able to see the whole field, I was thinking - "it's about time you ran a little you pussy, Geno".
The pic was going the other way so a different quarter. I believe that happened after the pick and was in the 4th quarter. Here's and idea, throw it to him when he is open and don't when he isn't....Would have one more TD pass and one less pick with that plan. I know it is easy for me to say as I type with no D Linemen in my face but those to were so blatant....
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:46 pm

Just posting this. I have minimal respect for Calkins and his schtick.
By Matt Calkins
Seattle Times columnist
It’s becoming clearer why the Seahawks signed him to such a team-friendly deal that, maybe, just maybe, ends after this season.

It’s becoming more apparent why coach Pete Carroll and general manager were taking selfies with all the first-class quarterback prospects last spring, and why they weren’t shy about the idea of drafting one.

It’s hard to look at Seattle QB Geno Smith from a personal standpoint and feel anything but delight for a man who waited seven years to get his starting job back before thriving in the position. But if you’re a Seahawks fan, it’s also been hard to look at Geno Smith over his past 11 games and feel much security.

I know, 11 may seem like a random number given that the Seahawks have played five contests this year, going 3-2 in that stretch. But the final six games last season were, in aggregate, a departure from the dominance we saw from Smith earlier in the year.

There was a moment last November in which it seemed as though Geno might not only win NFL Comeback Player of the Year (which he did), but also receive some MVP consideration. But since then, if you look at his average yards per game, average yards per throw, or average TD rate — you’ll see a guy who’s just been average.

Case in point: Smith’s 233.8 passing yards per game this season rank 13th in the NFL. And it’s not as though he simply isn’t throwing the ball that often, as his 7.1 yards per attempt sit 14th. One might point out that Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes is 15th in yards per attempt this season and is among the early MVP candidates. But Mahomes has an unrivaled résumé among active signal callers and has led his team to a 5-1 record.

Furthermore, Smith has simply not been able to use that right arm of his to get the ball in the end zone. His five touchdown passes are tied for 22nd in the NFL — quite the dip after finishing fourth last year.

It would be easy to dismiss this as a small sample size, which would be the prudent move if Smith were more proven. But the truth is, his whole career as a starter is a small sample size, particularly if we’re talking about starts he’s made since being benched by the Jets after 2014.

Last year’s meteoric rise was exemplified by Smith posting a passer rating of at least 104 in nine of his first 12 games. In the 11 he has played since — including the playoff loss to the 49ers — he has gone above 104 just once.

This doesn’t mean he is incapable of dynamic performances or picturesque passes. Smith’s game against Detroit in Week 2 of this season — when he went 32 for 41 for 328 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions — is the primary reason Seattle pulled off the upset.

And even in Sunday’s 17-13 loss to the Bengals, in which Smith threw two picks and took four sacks, he still launched dimes to DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett that reminded you why he was considered one of, if not the best deep-ball thrower in the league last season.

But this year he is 22nd in the NFL in completions of 20 yards or more (14). And while 36 players have completed a pass of 40 yards or more (including Seahawks backup Drew Lock), Smith is not one of them.

This has to be disconcerting for fans hoping that the Seahawks were going to improve on their 9-8 season in 2022. They still might — especially given the team’s defensive showings over their past two games — but storybook as Smith’s ascent was at the start of last season, he’s receding to game-manager status. That’s unlikely to lead to a double-digit win total.

Smith, as always, took responsibility for Sunday’s offensive shortcomings.

“I felt like the guys deserved to win today. Obviously I didn’t do my best job to get that done,” he sad. “Those are things I put that on myself, that I lay at my feet and put on my shoulders. I look forward to the next opportunity.”

There are still 12 more regular-season opportunities if Smith stays healthy, including next Sunday’s home game vs. the lowly Cardinals (1-5). Geno has shown he can do it before.

What he hasn’t shown, however, is that he can keep doing it. That’s the worry, and it’s a legitimate one.
dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:54 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:46 pm
Just posting this. I have minimal respect for Calkins and his schtick.
By Matt Calkins
Seattle Times columnist
It’s becoming clearer why the Seahawks signed him to such a team-friendly deal that, maybe, just maybe, ends after this season.

It’s becoming more apparent why coach Pete Carroll and general manager were taking selfies with all the first-class quarterback prospects last spring, and why they weren’t shy about the idea of drafting one.

It’s hard to look at Seattle QB Geno Smith from a personal standpoint and feel anything but delight for a man who waited seven years to get his starting job back before thriving in the position. But if you’re a Seahawks fan, it’s also been hard to look at Geno Smith over his past 11 games and feel much security.

I know, 11 may seem like a random number given that the Seahawks have played five contests this year, going 3-2 in that stretch. But the final six games last season were, in aggregate, a departure from the dominance we saw from Smith earlier in the year.

There was a moment last November in which it seemed as though Geno might not only win NFL Comeback Player of the Year (which he did), but also receive some MVP consideration. But since then, if you look at his average yards per game, average yards per throw, or average TD rate — you’ll see a guy who’s just been average.

Case in point: Smith’s 233.8 passing yards per game this season rank 13th in the NFL. And it’s not as though he simply isn’t throwing the ball that often, as his 7.1 yards per attempt sit 14th. One might point out that Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes is 15th in yards per attempt this season and is among the early MVP candidates. But Mahomes has an unrivaled résumé among active signal callers and has led his team to a 5-1 record.

Furthermore, Smith has simply not been able to use that right arm of his to get the ball in the end zone. His five touchdown passes are tied for 22nd in the NFL — quite the dip after finishing fourth last year.

It would be easy to dismiss this as a small sample size, which would be the prudent move if Smith were more proven. But the truth is, his whole career as a starter is a small sample size, particularly if we’re talking about starts he’s made since being benched by the Jets after 2014.

Last year’s meteoric rise was exemplified by Smith posting a passer rating of at least 104 in nine of his first 12 games. In the 11 he has played since — including the playoff loss to the 49ers — he has gone above 104 just once.

This doesn’t mean he is incapable of dynamic performances or picturesque passes. Smith’s game against Detroit in Week 2 of this season — when he went 32 for 41 for 328 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions — is the primary reason Seattle pulled off the upset.

And even in Sunday’s 17-13 loss to the Bengals, in which Smith threw two picks and took four sacks, he still launched dimes to DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett that reminded you why he was considered one of, if not the best deep-ball thrower in the league last season.

But this year he is 22nd in the NFL in completions of 20 yards or more (14). And while 36 players have completed a pass of 40 yards or more (including Seahawks backup Drew Lock), Smith is not one of them.

This has to be disconcerting for fans hoping that the Seahawks were going to improve on their 9-8 season in 2022. They still might — especially given the team’s defensive showings over their past two games — but storybook as Smith’s ascent was at the start of last season, he’s receding to game-manager status. That’s unlikely to lead to a double-digit win total.

Smith, as always, took responsibility for Sunday’s offensive shortcomings.

“I felt like the guys deserved to win today. Obviously I didn’t do my best job to get that done,” he sad. “Those are things I put that on myself, that I lay at my feet and put on my shoulders. I look forward to the next opportunity.”

There are still 12 more regular-season opportunities if Smith stays healthy, including next Sunday’s home game vs. the lowly Cardinals (1-5). Geno has shown he can do it before.

What he hasn’t shown, however, is that he can keep doing it. That’s the worry, and it’s a legitimate one.
Matt Calkins is a tool.

trharder

Post by trharder » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:56 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:29 pm
[ Here's and idea, throw it to him when he is open and don't when he isn't....
That's all I'm expecting. Maybe Pete and Waldron are to blame as well. You can't let prima dona players dictate.
Geno fucks up sometimes. Get over it.

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:13 pm

I think Geno has two fundamental issues. He's a slow "reader" and a "wind up" thrower. Neither bode well against a pass rush.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:34 pm

AZOldDawg wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:13 pm
I think Geno has two fundamental issues. He's a slow "reader" and a "wind up" thrower. Neither bode well against a pass rush.
Yep if he goes back and throws in rhythm on the first read it is prob 90% completion rate. If he has to look around it feels more like 9%. All QBs are better in the first case but his disparity is far higher than most imo.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:36 pm

Calvin’s might be a tool, but he’s not wrong. The lack of TDs is pretty bad. That said, you couldn’t watch this team yesterday and not wonder what the fuck they do in practice all week. It’s as if we don’t believe in being good on 3d down or in the RedZone. Maybe that is all Geno’s fault, but the playcalling seems lacking to me.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:38 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:34 pm
AZOldDawg wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:13 pm
Yep if he goes back and throws in rhythm on the first read it is prob 90% completion rate. If he has to look around it feels more like 9%. All QBs are better in the first case but his disparity is far higher than most imo.
Maybe another reason the playcalling seems lacking, but only because if the first read isn’t there Geno falls apart? That’s very possible, but that isn’t going to change this year, as wasn’t decision making pretty much the issue with Lock?