Kick Geno to the curb???

D-train

Re: Kick Geno to the curb???

Post by D-train » Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:55 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:53 pm
Sign Lock instead? You think you can make the playoffs, you have a decent serviceable QB, at a bargain price. You're going to cut him and go with an unknown quantity to save money. Yeah, let's see what they do. If they were to cut smith that tell me they weren't trying to make the playoffs which would surprise me.
They can make the playoffs with Lock and a better defense. Draft a QB of the future that sits in 2024 and starts next season....

They might keep Geno but that is what I would do. I think they will be less predictable now so could go either way...
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:08 pm

Of course they still could, I'm saying if it's your goal, your plan. I think the plan would be keeping your QB in place. I don't think it will become a lot more unpredictable. Sure, game day coaching decisions will be different. I don't think there's going to be a big change of direction in GM decisions. I think Pete and JS built the team together. I don't think JS has been sitting and brooding he didn't get the team he wanted.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:47 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:53 pm
Replaceable, sign Lock instead? You think you can make the playoffs, you have a decent serviceable QB, at a bargain price. You're going to cut him and go with an unknown quantity to save money. Yeah, let's see what they do. If they were to cut smith that tell me they weren't trying to make the playoffs which would surprise me.
two points of dispute there: 1. Smith is a bargain; 2. Playoffs not achievable with a rookie QB.

i would argue Smith is neither a bargain nor an overpay at current, and we've seen where that gets us.
and it's no longer unheard of for a rookie QB to have early success. we saw Stroud this year, Mayfield, Goff and Wentz not far past.

to me you're more than one step away from a Lombardi, so the sooner you start with the new QB on rookie deal, the farther you are toward that goal. There are 4 i really like this year and only 2 or 3 of them require selling the farm to get (Williams, Maye, and perhaps Daniels). the fourth (Penix) could be had for a little as our current #1, perhaps even less (trade back in first round). Or you could even strike gold again in the 3rd round with Spencer Rattler. If that is the plan, more likely want to keep Geno one last year as the tutor. But the other guys i think you roll em out there.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:44 pm

Okay, bargain was excessive, he isn't a burden in terms of what a veteran QB costs. Sure it's great to have a rookie qb, but how do you plan that? All they know is the QB position would be uncovered if they cut him. Again, I'm just betting they don't cut him. The plan will be to utilize the same roster to try and make the playoffs.

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:43 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:44 pm
Okay, bargain was excessive, he isn't a burden in terms of what a veteran QB costs. Sure it's great to have a rookie qb, but how do you plan that? All they know is the QB position would be uncovered if they cut him. Again, I'm just betting they don't cut him. The plan will be to utilize the same roster to try and make the playoffs.
I think there will be more roster churn than in the recent seasons, but not as much as when PC first got here. I do think they will be a bit more active in free agency. I think there will be more thought to both lines going forward. But I think the bigger question than Geno getting kicked to the curb, is Bobby going to be kicked to the curb? Future HOF player, that is still playing at a very high level and capable of leading the defense back to respectability. How does the new man in charge handle that?

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:51 pm

Bil522 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:43 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:44 pm
I think there will be more roster churn than in the recent seasons, but not as much as when PC first got here. I do think they will be a bit more active in free agency. I think there will be more thought to both lines going forward. But I think the bigger question than Geno getting kicked to the curb, is Bobby going to be kicked to the curb? Future HOF player, that is still playing at a very high level and capable of leading the defense back to respectability. How does the new man in charge handle that?
handle that with Bobby the same way as any player - all depends on the cost. definitely bring back if he doesnt demand huge pay raise; if he does, have to weigh his loss vs. the FA upgrade or replacement cost of Brooks and/or at G (Lewis), DT (Williams) and TE (Fant & Dissly). But i dont anticipate it being an issue given his age. why would he command more now one year later, after only getting a modest deal from the team that knows him best last year?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:31 pm

JS is going to have a lot of control, he's not just handing macdonald the keys. For instance he's gets final word on macdonald's staff.
And last week, general manager John Schneider — who is overseeing the search for a replacement for Carroll — said he will have final say over the coaching staff. Carroll had that power previously.

“Our setup earlier was, and it’s been a question for a number of years, the coaching staff did not fall under my umbrella, and now it will,” Schneider said. “It’s not necessarily a Jody Allen decision or choosing this person or that person, it’s just a contractual situation
Just noticed it's a six year contract, that's a pretty long contract

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:01 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:31 pm
JS is going to have a lot of control, he's not just handing macdonald the keys. For instance he's gets final word on macdonald's staff.
And last week, general manager John Schneider — who is overseeing the search for a replacement for Carroll — said he will have final say over the coaching staff. Carroll had that power previously.

“Our setup earlier was, and it’s been a question for a number of years, the coaching staff did not fall under my umbrella, and now it will,” Schneider said. “It’s not necessarily a Jody Allen decision or choosing this person or that person, it’s just a contractual situation
Just noticed it's a six year contract, that's a pretty long contract
Supposed to be the highest paid contract to any brand new coach ever. I wonder what that is. 🤔

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:19 pm

Here's Stanton on the situation. Seems to be leaning to cutting Geno but he also puts it in terms of long term solutions, so I'm not sure what he thinks. He points out they could always keep smith and trade him. That makes sense to me. He thinks things will get more conservative going forward.
I think this will be a different approach though. I’m not sure Schneider will become conservative like Thompson but I do think, moving forward, the draft will be the focus, the trenches will be critical to the building of this team, they will draft and develop, they will look for value in free agency and Seattle’s approach will be increasingly reminiscent of the Packers and Ravens.
JS did a lot of trading for a NFL team, it's not easy trading players. Interesting if that was Pete's influence. JS seemed to do it with zest

https://seahawksdraftblog.com/thoughts- ... -macdonald

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:48 pm

Already have an expensive defense, spend more money on it?
Three of their offensive line starters are on rookie contracts, as are all of their running backs, and more than half of the wide receivers. Geno Smith’s contract is nowhere near Patrick Mahomes, Jalen Hurts, Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, Dak Prescott, etc. territory. In terms of 2023 cap numbers, the Seahawks have one of the NFL’s least expensive offenses and the 10th most expensive defense, over OverTheCap.