Dunbar's in the pokey

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: Dunbar's in the pokey

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue May 19, 2020 5:10 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:10 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:34 pm
I was thinking they could suspend him for just being there, illegal high stakes gambling, wrong place at the wrong time. But who knows, they use their own investigators, come to their own conclusions. That is the deal with the DV situations, they don't need an actual case to be filed, the "Personal Conduct" policy is pretty broad. And they do it to keep everybody else in line, is it going to embarrass the NFL, then you better think about it
Brandon Browner was suspended for missing a drug test, that he didn't know about, while he was playing in the CFL. Dunbar is screwed.
I expect a 6 game suspension if no charges are filed. Fortunately Baker is a Giant and they can't give Dunbar a worse penalty than him.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 19, 2020 5:33 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
I was thinking they could suspend him for just being there, illegal high stakes gambling, wrong place at the wrong time. But who knows, they use their own investigators, come to their own conclusions. That is the deal with the DV situations, they don't need an actual case to be filed, the "Personal Conduct" policy is pretty broad. And they do it to keep everybody else in line, is it going to embarrass the NFL, then you better think about it
The high stakes gambling was two nights earlier and this was revenge armed robbery. We shouldn't judge. We have all been there. :lol: All this was missing was a little dog fighting in the back yard and ET and his Brother naked in the back bedroom. lol
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 19, 2020 7:00 pm

Guessing they drop the case but he still gets suspended.
Seahawks cornerback Quinton Dunbar formally plead not guilty to four counts of armed robbery Tuesday, according to his attorney Michael Grieco.

The filing occurred in Broward (Fla.) County Circuit Court, and while the move was the expected next step in the process, it’s one that Grieco says continues to show his confidence that his client will be exonerated fully.

Dunbar was freed from Broward County jail after posting $100,000 bond Sunday night after having turned himself in on Saturday on four counts of armed robbery related to an incident Wednesday night in Mirarmar, Fla.

New York Giants cornerback DeAndre Baker has also officially plead not guilty to eight counts — four of armed robbery and four of aggravated assault — in the same incident in which it was alleged that the two men, and another who has not been identified, took $12,000 in cash and $61,000 in watches/jewelry at a party that included a high-stakes dice game. Witness statements conflicted on whether Dunbar had a gun. Baker’s alleged use of a gun led to his four additional charges. No shots were fired.

Grieco asked for a jury trial for Dunbar. Baker’s lawyer, Bradford Cohen, also asked for a jury trial.

There is no date set for a next court hearing but Grieco says one could occur within the next three weeks or so.

ADVERTISING

The case is now in the hands of the state prosecutor, who will decide if the case should go forward.

Grieco said in a phone interview Tuesday that his hope remains that the state may not ultimately pursue the case due in large part to Grieco having produced five affidavits from four victims and one witness who say that Dunbar did not take part in any criminal activity that night.

Grieco also says there is no video of the incident, saying he has visited the home in recent days and none has been found. He also said no weapons have been found, nor any audio.

The lack of any tangible evidence in video or otherwise, plus the recantation of stories from those who were the basis of the original police report, provide Grieco not just with his defense of Dunbar but what he says is proof of his client’s innocence. Grieco revealed the existence of sworn affidavits from the witnesses changing their story on Friday.

Broward County assistant state attorney Aaron Passy called the affidavits “suspect” and wondered aloud during Sunday’s bond hearing whether the witnesses “were receiving death threats or offers or bribes.”

But Grieco countered that the witnesses came to him and that the affidavits were signed “in the presence of a notary. This was not some back alley. This was in my office.”

ADVERTISING

SPONSORED BY BJS.COM
Sponsored Video
Watch to learn more

Grieco said “once in every five years’’ he encounters a case where he has “exculpatory evidence or witnesses’’ who can prove that a client is innocent. “And this is one of those times where I am able to provide them with a decent amount of exculpatory evidence,’’ he said. “And that’s a nice position to be in.’’

Grieco also said that he can disprove what was the state’s motive for the crime, that Dunbar and Baker had suffered roughly $70,000 in gambling losses two days earlier and were attempting to get that back. The police report cited a witness saying three cars were positioned for a quick getaway as evidence that the robbery was planned.

“Categorically deny it,’’ Grieco said. “And I can establish that he had never met those guys before and I can establish his whereabouts on the evening they say he was gambling.’’

Your dose of local sports news. Delivered Monday through Friday.

Grieco hopes that may lead to a decision to close out the case and that the state would say “we move on.’’

“This isn’t just a situation where you are asking for them to say you don’t have enough to go forward. We are literally providing evidence of innocence.’’

But until the state decides one way or the other, the case will hang over Dunbar, who was one of the Seahawks’ key offseason acquisitions, acquired in a trade with Washington for a fifth-round pick from Washington and expected to take over the starting right cornerback spot.

Sunday’s bond hearing came with a directive that for now, he cannot leave the state of Florida. Grieco says that could be amended if needed, but it’s unclear when Dunbar will be needed on the field for the Seahawks.

NFL teams are still not allowed to meet at team facilities and there may be no on-field work allowed until at least July, when training camps begin.

Dunbar issued a statement Sunday saying he apologized to the Seahawks “for any unnecessary distractions that these allegations against me may have caused. … Moving forward, this entire situation has taught me how to not associate myself with environments that may mischaracterize my values and who I am.”

Grieco said Dunbar is “holding up fine. … he believes in the system and he’s looking forward to clearing his name and getting out to Seattle.’’
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed May 20, 2020 12:19 am

D-train wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:33 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
The high stakes gambling was two nights earlier and this was revenge armed robbery. We shouldn't judge. We have all been there. :lol: All this was missing was a little dog fighting in the back yard and ET and his Brother naked in the back bedroom. lol
the beef was supposedly gambling two nights previous, its not clear what his connection to that was, but there was more gambling going on at the party in question that he was at

that there, seems to be admitting to it, that could good for a couple of games
this entire situation has taught me how to not associate myself with environments that may mischaracterize my values and who I am.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Wed May 20, 2020 12:46 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:19 am
this entire situation has taught me how to not associate myself with environments that may mischaracterize my values and who I am.
It just cracks me up how they don't even try to make it look like the athlete's own words. Even worse is when they attribute words like that for Hispanic baseball players who speak little English. Who exactly do they think falls for that?

Of course, it would be funny if he actually did say that himself.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 20, 2020 1:22 am

Donn Beach wrote:
D-train wrote:
Donn Beach wrote:
the beef was supposedly gambling two nights previous, its not clear what his connection to that was, but there was more gambling going on at the party in question that he was at

that there, seems to be admitting to it, that could good for a couple of games
Good point. He should have stfu.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 20, 2020 1:25 am

DavidGee24 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:46 am
Donn Beach wrote:
It just cracks me up how they don't even try to make it look like the athlete's own words. Even worse is when they attribute words like that for Hispanic baseball players who speak little English. Who exactly do they think falls for that?

Of course, it would be funny if he actually did say that himself.
Like I have mentioned I love when writers direct quote bad grammar and double negatives. I always wonder if they fix the grammar but keep the intent of the quote if the player will come out and say he was misquoted. lol
dt

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Wed May 20, 2020 2:13 am

D-train wrote:
Donn Beach wrote:
:D
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Thu May 21, 2020 3:27 pm

It just got weirder and Ron Rivera looks smarter everyday.
Now Baker's atty is threatening to sue Dunbar's atty .

https://www.nj.com/giants/2020/05/lawye ... photo.html

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Sat May 23, 2020 4:37 am

ThePro wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:27 pm
It just got weirder and Ron Rivera looks smarter everyday.
Now Baker's atty is threatening to sue Dunbar's atty .

https://www.nj.com/giants/2020/05/lawye ... photo.html
better news on this from Clayton today - Grieco now claiming that Dunbar had left 45 minutes before the police were called, and phone records evidencing that he probably wasnt even at the earlier party where the $70k was lost. so on top of the poor credibility of the witness who claimed Dunbar was armed, more loss of credibility insinuating he had a revenge/recoup motive for lost money if in fact he was not even there to lose any. looking better and better for Dunbar, not so much for Baker.