QB Anthony Richardson
19%
CB Devon Witherspoon
No votes
Edge/OLB Tyree Wilson
11%
Edge/DE Myles Murphy
No votes
Trade Down (Please feel free to write-in your TD pick)
11%

Total votes: 27

Captain 97

Re: Who's Your Pick At #5

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:21 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:38 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:17 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:58 pm
Yeah, I tend to agree. That is unless there was another superior defensive talent there they just couldn't pass on, Jalen Carter? Not saying it's gonna happen but with all the bashing I think the talent is getting overlooked. I don't think his issues really are going to stick. He seems to have settled the accident, and I don't think the pro day was that big a deal. Remember Schneider defending the Clark pick, man, that talent
Frankly, I am not even convinced that Carter has the talent to match up with all the hype. He certainly hasn't produced numbers on the field. In 3 years he has put up 44 solo tackles and 6 sacks but people talk about him like he is the second coming of Aaron Donald. Donald had 43 solo tackles and and 11 sacks in his last college season alone.
He is more of Cortez Kennedy, Tez had only 58 sacks and 279 solo tackles in 11 seasons but he was a HOF nose tackle. I have never thought of nose tackles as being about tackles and sacks, it's the clog the middle aspect, tying up defenders, requiring triple teams. I don't know about Donald, hadn't thought of him as a nose tackle.

Here from the Clark news conference, the effort to deal with his flags
. I asked both men what made Clark worth all this effort—and all this potential backlash.

“Holy cow, this is a 272-pound man who is extremely explosive," Schneider said. "He still has an upside, he’s an interior rusher, edge rusher, can play SAM [strong-side linebacker], set the edge—they did a lot with him at the school.”
Tez had 14 sacks in 1992 :lol: Can't find his college stats anywhere but I guarantee you he had a whole lot more than Carter's 6.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:51 pm

.Yet, since Jeremiah made the comment, everyone is beginning to notice just how good the former five-star recruit is. On Twitter Wednesday, Pro Football Focus's (PFF) Brent Rollins pointed out that Carter's 47 quarterback pressures and six sacks rank first on Georgia's defense over the past two seasons. Also, noting that he has two more pressures than Travon Walker, the 2022 first overall pick of the NFL Draft.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:07 pm

Brock says no way on a first round QB

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1746701/ ... 1st-round/
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:36 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:05 pm
You're saying Carter is lazy?

Take a look at this analysis
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.windyc ... a-bulldogs
I am saying there were Red Flags, then he had an opportunity to prove himself and showed up fat and out of shape. Trust me, I am not the only one drawing that conclusion. Turn on a sports talk show and tell me they are talking about how great a kid he is and how hard he works!

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:11 pm

Where do they think he is taken in the draft?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:38 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:11 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I honestly have no feel for it. It concerns me that he was out of shape that soon after the season, and with that much to play for. But, maybe the distraction of the accident and everything was overwhelming? I think it is pretty eye opening that the Hawks have two QBs on the roster and basically no lineman, especially interior. I think they want Anderson or Carter. I think if Anderson is gone, which I think he will be unless someone trades up ahead of us for a QB, we try to trade down. If we can't trade down? All the moves they have made on the D Line? I think in that case we take Carter.

BUT, what I KNOW is that I have no damn idea what the Seahawks are going to do. Pretty much never do. I loved the Cross pick last year, but I didn't see us taking him. And to pretend I knew we'd take Walker and Bryant and get a steal like we did with Woolen? No chance. We will probably end up with someone no one is mentioning right now, or trade back...which means we will trade up and take a QB! LOL

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:09 pm

It will be interesting to see what AZ does if Hopkins gets traded. They may decide to trade out of the #3 with the Raiders and draft WR at #7 if this happens. All 4 QBs could go in the 1st 4 picks.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:04 am

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:38 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:11 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I honestly have no feel for it. It concerns me that he was out of shape that soon after the season, and with that much to play for. But, maybe the distraction of the accident and everything was overwhelming? I think it is pretty eye opening that the Hawks have two QBs on the roster and basically no lineman, especially interior. I think they want Anderson or Carter. I think if Anderson is gone, which I think he will be unless someone trades up ahead of us for a QB, we try to trade down. If we can't trade down? All the moves they have made on the D Line? I think in that case we take Carter.

BUT, what I KNOW is that I have no damn idea what the Seahawks are going to do. Pretty much never do. I loved the Cross pick last year, but I didn't see us taking him. And to pretend I knew we'd take Walker and Bryant and get a steal like we did with Woolen? No chance. We will probably end up with someone no one is mentioning right now, or trade back...which means we will trade up and take a QB! LOL
From what I've been reading teams aren't viewing his pro day issue as being important. That's the thing about a narrative, if he is lazy then where are the other indications? There is no indication of his taking plays off that I can find, seems to be the opposite, he's got a motor. He is constantly putting the QB under pressure. And he also plays injured. The ability, the desire to play through injury is significant I believe in terms of a player's heart.

From his sophomore season, conditioning could be something he needs to work on.
His development starts with continuing to improve his conditioning. While he plays with maximum effort at all times, Carter looked visibly gassed several times throughout his freshman season.That improved during his sophomore season, but he still has room to grow.

From Kyper, he is still his number one prospect
The reality is Carter’s stock hasn’t dropped in the eyes of NFL teams, and so I’m not dropping him in my rankings. On the field, he is a fantastic prospect. I moved him to No. 1 in my December Big Board update, and he finished the season playing the best ball of his career. He had 12 quarterback pressures in his final three games for the back-to-back national champs. He was fantastic after he returned in late October from missing two games because of a knee issue. Check out this show of force in the SEC title game against LSU. He’s explosive at the snap and finishes well around the ball, even though he had just six career sacks.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:10 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:07 pm
Brock says no way on a first round QB

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1746701/ ... 1st-round/
Yeah, that, they aren't cutting Lock, having a fifth pick be your 3rd string QB seems odd to me
“(He’s getting a) $1.75 million guaranteed signing bonus. He is going to be your backup quarterback,” Huard said. “I don’t think this roster at this stage is going to take (Florida quarterback prospect) Anthony Richardson at No. 5 to be the third-string quarterback.”

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:14 pm

Was listening to the radio this AM on my way in to work. The guys there were saying that the Hawks have, at times, overlooked "red flags" on certain players. They mentioned Frank Clark, Bruce Irvin, and our favorite, Malik McDowell. All were major personality risks. Two of the three worked out pretty well. Both Clark and Irvin were fairly good. But what do all three have in common? D-Linemen. So a track record on two out of three may warrant taking a chance. If Carter can learn and play well alongside Reed and Jones, we may have the potential to rival the 49er D-Line.