Re: Post Mortem: 2021 Playoffs - Seahawks v Lambs

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:52 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:47 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:24 pm
I will be rooting for the Packers....

https://twitter.com/CAGOP/status/1349418238694756352
Love it...and very rarely does Rodgers talk when I love what he has to say!
Yes, definitely a first for me.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:05 am

D-train wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:35 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:00 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:26 pm
Rams gave up 32 to the Bills, 28 to the Cards and 23 to the freakin Jets. Let's not pretend they are the 85 Bears D.

GB will score at least mid to high 20s
PFF thinks its the league's best
Pro Football Focus gave L.A.’s defense a league-best regular-season grade of 85.9.
Well deserved. Just saying that I don't think ARod will be traumatized like RW appeared to be.
Moral of the story: in today's NFL even the best defensive unit can get abused by a good offense.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:24 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:05 am

Moral of the story: in today's NFL even the best defensive unit can get abused by a good offense.
Especially when the QB and coaching staff aren't scared shitless. I swear that Pete and Russ treat Donald like he is Godzilla, and Jalen Ramsey like he is Revis Island in his prime! Such a disappointment. The Rams, when they aren't even very good, just expect to beat us...and when we are good and they are bad? We still spend the entire week shitting down our legs because we have to play them.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:43 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:05 am
D-train wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:35 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:00 pm

PFF thinks its the league's best

Well deserved. Just saying that I don't think ARod will be traumatized like RW appeared to be.
This cuts both ways, though - the Seattle LOB defense completely curb-stomped the supposed "greatest offense of all time" in the Super Bowl, and it wasn't even close. Once Kam introduced himself to Thomas, and Denver realized what they were up against, we separated the men from the boys. Seems like history has a way of reminding us that dominant defenses usually negate a great offense. Not always, but more often than not.

EDIT: It was KJ Wright that said that. Different player, but same attitude. But I was close on remembering the quote from memory! I still have that SI tucked away.

There's a fantastic quote from Earl Thomas in the post-super bowl sports illustrated where he talks about watching game film of Denver leading up to the SB, and he basically rolled his eyes and said, "pfffft. We got this." They were not in any way concerned about the Denver offense, to the point they were practically chuckling at it. If you can find the article, it was beautiful. No fear at all of Denver. "Angry Birds" is the headline on the Sports Illustrated.

https://vault.si.com/vault/2014/02/10/angry-birds

That's the cover, but that's not the article I am referencing - although it does feel all warm and fuzzy to revisit that game. I hate Denver with the heat of a thousand suns, so that game was exponentially more satisfying than vs any other team.
Last edited by auroraave on Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:52 pm

That team changed the game. The NFL hated the way we played, shit...remember Troy Aikman crying about it? Saying we basically just hold and commit pass interference on every play knowing they can't flag it every down? The game has changed. You don't see defenses like that anymore because the rules are slanted against it.

But, even at that, if the rules were the same? This team is not constructed to win that way. Hell, like DT pointed out...we were 12th in rushing attempts in 5th in per carry average. How much more efficient does Grampa Pete need it to be?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:56 pm

Ravens, Titans, Rams, Seahawks, Bears...all out of the playoffs. All teams that focus on running the ball. I expect the Browns to lose today, and regardless of who losses the NFC game? It won't be a run first offense that sticks around.

It isn't a run first league anymore.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:59 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:52 pm
That team changed the game. The NFL hated the way we played, shit...remember Troy Aikman crying about it? Saying we basically just hold and commit pass interference on every play knowing they can't flag it every down? The game has changed. You don't see defenses like that anymore because the rules are slanted against it.

But, even at that, if the rules were the same? This team is not constructed to win that way. Hell, like DT pointed out...we were 12th in rushing attempts in 5th in per carry average. How much more efficient does Grampa Pete need it to be?
I think people are misunderstanding what Carroll is saying. I interpreted his words to mean they need to run the ball better to force defenses to scheme to stop the run more - thus opening up the passing game. Once teams stack the box, you have the aerial advantage. I don;t believe he wants to run it more, he wants it to be more successful - like every coach does. Also, I would strongly consider the context of the comments, coming off a particularly emotional and heartbreaking loss. He may feel differently in two weeks. It's not like they're gonna bring back the wishbone. People need to dial back the ultra rigid interpretations. He's not stupid - he knows you have to have a passing game. I think...

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:05 pm

I don't know how this can been construed any other way than planning to run more.....
Pete Carroll would like Russell Wilson to cook less in 2021.

The Seattle Seahawks coach told reporters Monday that his team needs to run the ball more in the coming year.

"We have to run the ball better. Not even run the ball better, run it more," Carroll said, via Gregg Bell of The News Tribune.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:09 pm

Actually there bit of a disconnect. They were 5th in yards per carry and 12th in yards but only 19th in Rush attempts. Ravens had 144 more attempts and the Titans had 110 more attempts.

Based on this back to the future run more mantra isn't signing Carson mandatory?
dt

Gametime

Post by Gametime » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:16 pm

League has evolved, Pete and his high energy is great, but won’t or hasn’t evolved. How many playoff wins does he have over the last 5 years? His philosophies don’t work in the playoffs. Unless he has elite DE and the Lob.

Either his philosophy doesn’t work or Russ can’t deliver it.