More on Clowney

Donn Beach

Re: More on Clowney

Post by Donn Beach » Sat May 02, 2020 11:56 am

I guess i would put him in the same boat as Clowney, i didn't realize he voided his contract to become a FA. I would say he misread the market as well as probably getting screwed with the covid situation
As the waiting game continues, Griffen spoke with Tom Pelissero of NFL Media, saying the process “has taken a lot of patience, a lot of self-reflection” regarding why he hasn’t drawn more interest after an eight-sack season for the Vikings in 2019.

Griffen voided the final three years of his contract with the Vikings to become a free agent this offseason. He was just one of only two players in the NFL last season to have a player-controlled void that allowed him to out of his contract if he hit a series of benchmarks: 6.5 sacks and playing on 57 percent of the team's defensive snaps. Last season, Griffen had eight sacks and played 78 percent of snaps.

At age 32, Griffen has recorded 57 sacks over the past six seasons, beating out former No. 1 pick Jadeveon Clowney's 32 in the same time span.

He is betting on himself, believing he can command more than the $13.9 million cap hit he was going to have on the Vikings roster, but so far, it hasn’t panned out.

But, why?

"It's like, why haven't (more) teams been interested? And the reason why is because they don't know Everson."

Outside of Griffen’s dominating performance on the field, some may look to what has been reported off the field.

There are widely publicized reports from 2018 of verbal outbursts in practice, which prompted the Vikings to order Griffen to undergo a mental health evaluation. He had an encounter with police at a hotel in Minnesota when "an individual was threatening to shoot someone if he wasn't allowed in his room." Additionally, according to the Minnesota Star-Tribune, Griffen was "growing increasingly paranoid and feared someone was trying to kill him in the weeks and days," ahead of that police incident. Griffen lived in a sober house for three months to deal with mental health issues.

Griffen insists those days are behind him, though.

“I am healthy and there's nothing really that you have to worry about, because I'm doing all the right things. There's nothing I'm doing behind the scenes that they should be worried about. I'm doing everything possible to make sure that 2018 doesn't happen again. And it will not happen."

Still, with the COVID-19 pandemic closing facilities indefinitely, it’s harder for teams to answer the questions that they will undoubtedly have about Griffen’s state of mind and how he’d fit in the locker room.

Griffen wants to try and put teams at ease, though. And he makes a strong case with the numbers he’s put up.

“I’m a hundred percent positive that 2019 was just a glimpse of what I still have left in the tank.”

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 02, 2020 12:18 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 11:56 am
I guess i would put him in the same boat as Clowney, i didn't realize he voided his contract to become a FA. I would say he misread the market as well as probably getting screwed with the covid situation
As the waiting game continues, Griffen spoke with Tom Pelissero of NFL Media, saying the process “has taken a lot of patience, a lot of self-reflection” regarding why he hasn’t drawn more interest after an eight-sack season for the Vikings in 2019.

Griffen voided the final three years of his contract with the Vikings to become a free agent this offseason. He was just one of only two players in the NFL last season to have a player-controlled void that allowed him to out of his contract if he hit a series of benchmarks: 6.5 sacks and playing on 57 percent of the team's defensive snaps. Last season, Griffen had eight sacks and played 78 percent of snaps.

At age 32, Griffen has recorded 57 sacks over the past six seasons, beating out former No. 1 pick Jadeveon Clowney's 32 in the same time span.

He is betting on himself, believing he can command more than the $13.9 million cap hit he was going to have on the Vikings roster, but so far, it hasn’t panned out.

But, why?

"It's like, why haven't (more) teams been interested? And the reason why is because they don't know Everson."

Outside of Griffen’s dominating performance on the field, some may look to what has been reported off the field.

There are widely publicized reports from 2018 of verbal outbursts in practice, which prompted the Vikings to order Griffen to undergo a mental health evaluation. He had an encounter with police at a hotel in Minnesota when "an individual was threatening to shoot someone if he wasn't allowed in his room." Additionally, according to the Minnesota Star-Tribune, Griffen was "growing increasingly paranoid and feared someone was trying to kill him in the weeks and days," ahead of that police incident. Griffen lived in a sober house for three months to deal with mental health issues.

Griffen insists those days are behind him, though.

“I am healthy and there's nothing really that you have to worry about, because I'm doing all the right things. There's nothing I'm doing behind the scenes that they should be worried about. I'm doing everything possible to make sure that 2018 doesn't happen again. And it will not happen."

Still, with the COVID-19 pandemic closing facilities indefinitely, it’s harder for teams to answer the questions that they will undoubtedly have about Griffen’s state of mind and how he’d fit in the locker room.

Griffen wants to try and put teams at ease, though. And he makes a strong case with the numbers he’s put up.

“I’m a hundred percent positive that 2019 was just a glimpse of what I still have left in the tank.”
Man anybody whose position doesn't start with a Q and with an age starting with a 3 should be going to church thanking God they have a contract as opposed to be voiding it out.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat May 02, 2020 2:01 pm

If someone doesn't sign him soon he's going to start having paranoid delusions again.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Sat May 02, 2020 3:06 pm

COVID my ass . Griffen is nuts. That's why he isnt signed. You can interview him all you want there's no guarantee he won't have another episode.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 02, 2020 3:43 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 2:01 pm
If someone doesn't sign him soon he's going to start having paranoid delusions again.
Reason #3 why it was idiotic for him to void his contract...
dt

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Sat May 02, 2020 4:42 pm

ThePro wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:06 pm
COVID my ass . Griffen is nuts. That's why he isnt signed. You can interview him all you want there's no guarantee he won't have another episode.
true. just like there was no guarantee McDowell would stay off his ATV and not shipwreck his career before it starts. the risk is why he's still available, and available cheap. mental illness is real, and is scary - i know first-hand from immediate family. but doesnt mean it cant be controlled or at least moderated for the most part with proper monitoring and medication. you learn to deal with that and not have too high of expectations, and accept the fact that there may be occasional disruption, at which point you remove all expectation until order can be restored. that is what you are buying, for short term given his age, and at a much cheaper price than you would get without all that baggage.

if there is any organization that is better equipped to deal with all that than the Seahawks, i cannot fathom it. with all 4 of the LEO acquisitions in the draft and FA, and Green/Collier slated for more of a 5-tech role than previous, also seems Schneider has positioned the team well to take on the risk as opposed to last year being solely dependent on Clowney. I still think Clowney is preferred, but given his ego seems to be preventing him from re-signing here anytime soon, Hawk fans might want to get used to the idea of Everson wearing the navy and wolf grey.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 02, 2020 5:14 pm

If they signed Gordon they can probably signed Griffen
dt

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Sat May 02, 2020 6:09 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 5:14 pm
If they signed Gordon they can probably signed Griffen
yeah, think they are still waiting/hoping on Jadeveon as preferred option, at least until Everson gives an ultimatum with a competing offer, at which time i think they would probably jump on it. both players too good and too old to sit out a year if there actually is a season, so will have to come down to a decision eventually.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 02, 2020 7:01 pm

What is a bigger deterrent? Griffen's age and mental issues or Clowney health?
dt

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Sat May 02, 2020 7:34 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:01 pm
What is a bigger deterrent? Griffen's age and mental issues or Clowney health?
I can't speak for everyone but being since Clowney didn't threaten to kill staff at a hotel before going home and having his family flee before calling the police I will go out on a limb and say Clowney is the lesser risk.