Happy Thanksgiving: F*ck the Niners Game Thread

Donn Beach

Re: Happy Thanksgiving: F*ck the Niners Game Thread

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:33 pm

Of course there is a path, it's the same path if Pete suddenly died from a heart attack. The only person that can fire Pete is jody. I think she's going to be less interested in that than Kraft does firing Belichick.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:39 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:33 pm
Of course there is a path, it's the same path if Pete suddenly died from a heart attack. The only person that can fire Pete is jody. I think she's going to be less interested in that than Kraft does firing Belichick.
Agree that she is the only one that can fire him, disagree that she wouldn't do it.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:49 pm

You don't fire the only head coach to win you a Super Bowl in franchise history. But you can fire the incompetent coordinators and hire ones that don't suck and not give a damn if that leads to the head coach retiring early.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:58 pm

I don't think it be an easy decision, I think he's going to need to resign
Allen inherited the team from her brother, Paul Allen, who passed away in October 2018. Like Paul, Jody has largely stayed in the background and has allowed head coach Pete Carroll to function as the de facto CEO. Garafolo, though, says that Allen has recently become “very involved” in the operation, which suggests that a major shakeup could be on the way.

Of course, trade rumors swirled around Wilson last offseason, and there has been speculation that the Seahawks could end up dealing their franchise signal-caller in 2022.
https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/ ... erformance

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:04 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:49 pm
You don't fire the only head coach to win you a Super Bowl in franchise history. But you can fire the incompetent coordinators and hire ones that don't suck and not give a damn if that leads to the head coach retiring early.
There was speculation that Waldron was more a JS decision than a Pete. Of course it doesn't seem to have worked out well

douche

Post by douche » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:04 pm

Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:40 pm

Then, there’s this: “I think we didn’t come out ready to go,” Seahawks linebacker Jordan Brooks said. “First drive they were running the ball, throwing the ball. I don’t think we were all the way there mentally. That’s why they ended up with seven points right out of the gate.”

Wait...what? Given the stakes Thursday night, that’s inexcusable.
It's been happening for a long time. This team is never prepared to play an entire game of football.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:09 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:58 pm
I don't think it be an easy decision, I think he's going to need to resign
Allen inherited the team from her brother, Paul Allen, who passed away in October 2018. Like Paul, Jody has largely stayed in the background and has allowed head coach Pete Carroll to function as the de facto CEO. Garafolo, though, says that Allen has recently become “very involved” in the operation, which suggests that a major shakeup could be on the way.

Of course, trade rumors swirled around Wilson last offseason, and there has been speculation that the Seahawks could end up dealing their franchise signal-caller in 2022.
https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/ ... erformance
And to be fair - he's earned that. Behind the scenes they will give him the option of his exit - step away on your terms - or we will fire you. Optics will play out and he will leave. I think Pete's fate was sealed with the loss to the Lambs. I think he knows it's time - and I think he has lost the team. There is absolutely no identity to this team. Two biggest mistakes this off season were not drafting more talent for the QB room for the future and not taking carter to seriously bolster the dline - no disrespect to witherspoon - he is great. And while it's awful trendy to have hot takes about how much Geno sucks - perhaps we need to be looking at the play calling and ask if they are putting him in the best position to succeed. First half of the lambs game sure looked like it. Then... Seattle went into field goal mode and you know that's not going to get it done.

Pete is probably as good as gone - but there is no sense making these headline grabbing moves now - off season will bring sweeping changes - it's inevitable - the fans are seriously over it and the team is embarrassing. Jodi knows.

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:15 pm

Paul might’ve left his sister with a few overarching principles to guide her decision making. I agree that you let Pete go as long as he wants. But, I think there is precedent where teams fire old coaches even if they had prior success. I think ownership partially bases decision making on pulse of fans. I don’t follow the Hawks closely anymore, but I doubt the average fan wants to ship Pete down the river.

douche

Post by douche » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:16 pm

Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:49 pm
Are you sure? Shanahan won 2 Super Bowls as HC with DEN and 10 years later he was fired.

The coordinators are Carroll's department. If he wants them gone, they will be. But as Michael has mentioned numerous times, PC seems okay with mediocre.

This is what boggles my mind... SEA looks good on paper, decent roster, some very skilled players. The problem is in the execution. And who's in charge of that?
Last edited by douche on Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

douche

Post by douche » Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:19 pm

auroraave wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:09 pm
And while it's awful trendy to have hot takes about how much Geno sucks - perhaps we need to be looking at the play calling and ask if they are putting him in the best position to succeed.
100%. Coach to your player's strengths.