Post Mortem: Seahawks v Big Easy

auroraave

Post Mortem: Seahawks v Big Easy

Post by auroraave » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:52 pm

I wanted to overreact and be pissed off about this game, but I'm not, and I'm gonna tell you why. First, this was a classic Seattle game - lose at home when favored, 'shocking' everyone (except me, of course). A winnable game, bumbled away, an offense that starts slow, versus a defense well prepared. A special teams blunder. Penaltypalooza. All classic traits under Carroll's tenure in Seattle.

You know it's bad when your coach nearly hits on the PUP list right before the game. Ugh, that's always a bad omen. But I digress.

This was not a particularly good game. Not sure about the right adjective to describe it, but bumbling comes to mind. It's pretty rare you hit 500 yards of offense and lose a game - but Seattle did just that. But I'm not that bothered by this. It's easy to look at this game and conclude two plays and say there were the killers; Carson's fumble and that kick return for a TD. Those both sucked. But let's give credit to NO - they scouted Carson well, knew he was susceptible to fumbling, and they made the play. Same on the return - they simply made the plays, and you have to give them credit. Painful credit, admittedly, but credit nonetheless. NO came to play, Seattle did not.

Not sure what happened to the Seahawk's ability to tackle - or get pressure - but neither arrived at the stadium on Sunday.

PC and the entire coaching staff get an F for this game - out-coached in every phase. Really ugly.

This was a loss that will ultimately be a good learning tool for the young 'uns. This loss showed that the offense can be pass oriented - which RW showed off yesterday to the tune of 32/50 for 408 - a passing attack that needs to be leaned on more - and I think it will be. The running game will stall out when the defense prioritizes stopping it. As RW and his new toys mesh, I believe this offense is headed in a more pass oriented direction - but, as fucking always, they must first get out of the gate slow and bumbler around a bit before they hit their stride.

PC's challenge of the PI call was another waste of time. Remember - this is a new rule instituted because the NFL went into damage control after completely screwing the Saints over. Incompetent and/or biased officiating has lead to rule changes. This should be acknowledged, and I'm gonna do it every fucking week because it's part of a bigger problem with the league.

Biggest bumble of the day - not calling time out before the half, then connecting with the new Beast Mode for 50 yards and watching the clock expire. C'mon, that's bush league. a field goal there is an important score.

Loved the balls of going for it on fourth down - and I'm fine with the results - you roll the dice, you take your chances. This was simply a game where the breaks and bounces went the other way. RW nearly had Lockette - it was just inches from a huge catch - but that was how the game went yesterday. I thought the defense looked pretty good - poor tackling aside - they only gave up 250 yards - but mostly looked like a unit that is on the rise. When Reed gets back? Yeah! They only gave up 250 yards - yeah, I know, Brees wasn't there - but that's a good effort regardless. They fought. The problem was the two game changing plays and the Seattle offense not bothering to go into uptempo, aka "let's move our asses" gear until it was too late.

Anyone still questioning Tyler Lockette as a number one? 11/154? Those numbers will work into DK's favor as defenses game plan to stop Lockette and give DK more favorable one-on-one match-ups.

The reason this game doesn't sting is because of the inherent difference between these two teams: New Orleans is a team that has reached their ceiling - Seattle has not. That's why this doesn't sting. Seattle's best football is in front of them. NO is a better all-round team - today - but tomorrow? I like Seattle's positioning right now - on the upswing - and you're still gonna lose some games on the upswing.

Concert of the week that distracted me. The the original Guns N Roses at the Palladium - killer venue - killer show - Fat Axle could be an alternate name for the band now. Just sayin'.

The Complaints Department: penalties. The NFL made holding calls a 'point of emphasis ' this season. Yeah, just what the game needs - more penalties - it's so great for the fans. The announcers mentioned some shocking statistics - this time last season there were offensive 107 holding penalties, this year, 179. That's a 60% increase. Read that again. a 60% increase - is this really good for the game? Tom Brady took to social media to mock the 10 holding calls in the Thursday Night Crappy Game of the Week tweeting that he had turned off the game because he couldn't watch the "ridiculous penalties." Was that personal foul call against the Seahawk's coach who wondered onto the field to celebrate really necessary? C'mon, man, how about a warning. That's just unnecessarily controlling the game - a game that needs to be less restrained. At times, yesterday's game felt like it was simply being controlled by the refs. I'm sure it's just my paranoia.

Fumbling. Worthless challenges. CLOCK MANAGEMENT.

Onto the desert...

Go hawks.

ThePro

Re: Post Mortem: Seahawks v Big Easy

Post by ThePro » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:30 pm

This game stings to me because Rams and 49ers bothe won. Carroll struggles with clock management and/or situational football. I have no idea why. It's not getting better anytime soon. Probably costs him 1-2 wins a season.

Carson has a severe case of fumblitis. Could be a career ender. Its like sharks sensing blood in the water. If they think you are going to cough it up they will be even more tenacious in their strips. No one can take that. The only remedy is to hold onto it with two hands until they leave him alone. This was Penny's big chance. Still might be. Not sure
what is going on there. I know it is impossible to pull a hamstring during a walkthrough.

Particularly disappointed in the pass rush. Always pisses me off whenever I see Ramczyk play. This FO glossed over him ( and Cam Robinson) like it was no big deal. He held Watt and Clowney to zero sacks .

I'll go ahead and say it now. Ansah sucks. I knew he was an injury prone overrated POS before and yesterday confirmed it for me.

Other than that I'm not worried either.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:30 pm

This game stings to me because Rams and 49ers bothe won. Carroll struggles with clock management and/or situational football. I have no idea why. It's not getting better anytime soon. Probably costs him 1-2 wins a season.

Carson has a severe case of fumblitis. Could be a career ender. Its like sharks sensing blood in the water. If they think you are going to cough it up they will be even more tenacious in their strips. No one can take that. The only remedy is to hold onto it with two hands until they leave him alone. This was Penny's big chance. Still might be. Not sure
what is going on there. I know it is impossible to pull a hamstring during a walkthrough.

Particularly disappointed in the pass rush. Always pisses me off whenever I see Ramczyk play. This FO glossed over him ( and Cam Robinson) like it was no big deal. He held Watt and Clowney to zero sacks .

I'll go ahead and say it now. Ansah sucks. I knew he was an injury prone overrated POS before and yesterday confirmed it for me.

Other than that I'm not worried either.
Last edited by ThePro on Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:37 pm

And Collier was a healthy scratch. Looking like another great first round pick.
dt

Hasslecracked

Post by Hasslecracked » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:48 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:37 pm
For whatever reason Pete treats his rookies like they are incoming true freshman in college and hardly gives them meaningful snaps unless there's an injury. Every year it seems 1 or 2 rookies stand out and the rest are just kinda there. Collier...healthy scratch. Blair, Amadi, Burr-Kirven, Barton have been relegated to punt return and kickoff return only. It's frustrating watching other teams plug their draft picks in immediately and ours are going through a probation period. Anyone else noticed that or am i completely wrong?

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:50 pm

Hasslecracked wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:48 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:37 pm
For whatever reason Pete treats his rookies like they are incoming true freshman in college and hardly gives them meaningful snaps unless there's an injury. Every year it seems 1 or 2 rookies stand out and the rest are just kinda there. Collier...healthy scratch. Blair, Amadi, Burr-Kirven, Barton have been relegated to punt return and kickoff return only. It's frustrating watching other teams plug their draft picks in immediately and ours are going through a probation period. Anyone else noticed that or am i completely wrong?
What looked like a promising incoming class is pretty much DK and not much else........
dt

Hasslecracked

Post by Hasslecracked » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:54 pm

That's the thing though, i think there's more potential to our draft class then they are showing. No reason Amadi isn't getting more reps in our weak secondary

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:56 pm

auroraave wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:52 pm
I wanted to overreact and be pissed off about this game, but I'm not, and I'm gonna tell you why. First, this was a classic Seattle game - lose at home when favored, 'shocking' everyone (except me, of course). A winnable game, bumbled away, an offense that starts slow, versus a defense well prepared. A special teams blunder. Penaltypalooza. All classic traits under Carroll's tenure in Seattle.

You know it's bad when your coach nearly hits on the PUP list right before the game. Ugh, that's always a bad omen. But I digress.

This was not a particularly good game. Not sure about the right adjective to describe it, but bumbling comes to mind. It's pretty rare you hit 500 yards of offense and lose a game - but Seattle did just that. But I'm not that bothered by this. It's easy to look at this game and conclude two plays and say there were the killers; Carson's fumble and that kick return for a TD. Those both sucked. But let's give credit to NO - they scouted Carson well, knew he was susceptible to fumbling, and they made the play. Same on the return - they simply made the plays, and you have to give them credit. Painful credit, admittedly, but credit nonetheless. NO came to play, Seattle did not.

Not sure what happened to the Seahawk's ability to tackle - or get pressure - but neither arrived at the stadium on Sunday.

PC and the entire coaching staff get an F for this game - out-coached in every phase. Really ugly.

This was a loss that will ultimately be a good learning tool for the young 'uns. This loss showed that the offense can be pass oriented - which RW showed off yesterday to the tune of 32/50 for 408 - a passing attack that needs to be leaned on more - and I think it will be. The running game will stall out when the defense prioritizes stopping it. As RW and his new toys mesh, I believe this offense is headed in a more pass oriented direction - but, as fucking always, they must first get out of the gate slow and bumbler around a bit before they hit their stride.

PC's challenge of the PI call was another waste of time. Remember - this is a new rule instituted because the NFL went into damage control after completely screwing the Saints over. Incompetent and/or biased officiating has lead to rule changes. This should be acknowledged, and I'm gonna do it every fucking week because it's part of a bigger problem with the league.

Biggest bumble of the day - not calling time out before the half, then connecting with the new Beast Mode for 50 yards and watching the clock expire. C'mon, that's bush league. a field goal there is an important score.

Loved the balls of going for it on fourth down - and I'm fine with the results - you roll the dice, you take your chances. This was simply a game where the breaks and bounces went the other way. RW nearly had Lockette - it was just inches from a huge catch - but that was how the game went yesterday. I thought the defense looked pretty good - poor tackling aside - they only gave up 250 yards - but mostly looked like a unit that is on the rise. When Reed gets back? Yeah! They only gave up 250 yards - yeah, I know, Brees wasn't there - but that's a good effort regardless. They fought. The problem was the two game changing plays and the Seattle offense not bothering to go into uptempo, aka "let's move our asses" gear until it was too late.

Anyone still questioning Tyler Lockette as a number one? 11/154? Those numbers will work into DK's favor as defenses game plan to stop Lockette and give DK more favorable one-on-one match-ups.

The reason this game doesn't sting is because of the inherent difference between these two teams: New Orleans is a team that has reached their ceiling - Seattle has not. That's why this doesn't sting. Seattle's best football is in front of them. NO is a better all-round team - today - but tomorrow? I like Seattle's positioning right now - on the upswing - and you're still gonna lose some games on the upswing.

Concert of the week that distracted me. The the original Guns N Roses at the Palladium - killer venue - killer show - Fat Axle could be an alternate name for the band now. Just sayin'.

The Complaints Department: penalties. The NFL made holding calls a 'point of emphasis ' this season. Yeah, just what the game needs - more penalties - it's so great for the fans. The announcers mentioned some shocking statistics - this time last season there were offensive 107 holding penalties, this year, 179. That's a 60% increase. Read that again. a 60% increase - is this really good for the game? Tom Brady took to social media to mock the 10 holding calls in the Thursday Night Crappy Game of the Week tweeting that he had turned off the game because he couldn't watch the "ridiculous penalties." Was that personal foul call against the Seahawk's coach who wondered onto the field to celebrate really necessary? C'mon, man, how about a warning. That's just unnecessarily controlling the game - a game that needs to be less restrained. At times, yesterday's game felt like it was simply being controlled by the refs. I'm sure it's just my paranoia.

Fumbling. Worthless challenges. CLOCK MANAGEMENT.

Onto the desert...

Go hawks.
There is no "e" at the end of Lockett. The guy with the e at the end is one of the culprits that cost us a SB.
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:36 pm

There is no "e" at the end of Lockett. The guy with the e at the end is one of the culprits that cost us a SB.

dte
Uh, the extra E is for excellence! Duh! :P

This was just one of those throw away games - they have (at least one) every single year. Too early to be labeling this team yet, IMO. They laid an egg - but like I said, PC's teams catch a groove in November and December - this team is no where near their ceiling - New Orleans is. Let 'em get their sea legs and see what happens. Too early to diagnose the patient. Arizona will be a good gauge - they could be able to handle them.

Need to stop running so much base defense - they're making it too easy to game plan against. Need to return to fundamentals. Since it was 90 here yesterday, I skipped the fourth quarter and went to the beach - maybe that's why this total shit show didn't sting. My expectations this early are low, this team has not found it's identity or groove. Big picture view: This was a learning game - for the entire team and coaching staff. I think they come out of this better for it. Better to shit the bed early in the season and learn the lessons, rather than late in the season.

Mostly, the game was boring - and the fucking officiating is just brutal to sit through. And the league wants more of 'em. Yeah, that's the answer.

XpertDBA

Post by XpertDBA » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:18 pm

Why the hell is Carroll kicking the extra point down 13 ? Is he getting so old he doesn't understand the simple mathematical equations of when to go for 1 and when to go for 2? I thought all coaches had a chart for these things.

You go for 2 points to make it a 2 possession game. Kicking the extra point just gives up on the game when there was at least a miniscule chance of getting the tie.

I'm losing more faith in the old geezer by the minute. Next thing you know, he'll be asking Servais for advice.