This sums up PC perfectly

D-train

This sums up PC perfectly

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:21 am

Carroll’s fourth-down strategy was magnified again early this week after a 30-16 loss to Baltimore. With the score tied 13-13 in the third quarter, the Seahawks faced a fourth-and-three from the Ravens’ 35-yard line. Carroll sent out his field-goal team, a decision that decreased the Seahawks’ chances of winning the game by 4%, according to Pro Football Focus data.

Jason Myers missed the 53-yard field-goal attempt. Carroll explained that he wanted to take the points in that situation, and that he wanted to show “total confidence” in his kicker. So he goes with some intangible "showing confidence" in his kicker instead of tangible evidence to go for it. Further, his other consideration in that situation was to punt the ball — not to go for it with his offense.

“It was our spot, we’re kicking it — that’s what we do,” So you are kicking it because thats what we do. Ok I feel a lot better now. :roll: Carroll told 710 ESPN Seattle on Monday. “Just, a great kicker and he’s going to come through for us. Except he didn't That’s the way our mentality’s going to be and there’s no reason for us to change.” So no reason to change it even though it failed and analytics tell you to go for it.

Compounding the frustration for many Seahawks fans was the manner in which the Ravens scored the go-ahead touchdown on their ensuing possession. It came, of course, on fourth down — and only after quarterback Lamar Jackson convinced coach John Harbaugh to go for it. On fourth-and-two from the Seattle 8, Jackson scored on a QB power run.

In a follow-up question this week about his fourth-down calculations, Carroll was asked if he considers data analysis as part of those decisions.

“Yes,” he said. “We’re well aware.” So you are well aware of it but you ignore it.
dt

Michael K.

Re: This sums up PC perfectly

Post by Michael K. » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:08 am

Yup.
Was sure fun today watching another of my favorite teams get a big lead then curl into a ball, suck their thumbs and piss their pants!

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:40 am

Sadly, no-one in the organization is going to tell Carroll that he should let his OC make those decisions. Nothing is going to change. No amount of evidence that his decisions are harming the team's chances of success is going to convince him that he is not competent to make them.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:53 am

He might want to adapt give this little fun fact.
Seahawks' opponents' combined record in first half of season: 25-34-1. Second half: 38-20-1. They have only two teams with losing records left on the schedule, Tampa Bay (2-5) this week and Arizona (3-4-1) in next-to-last week of the season.
dt

douche

Post by douche » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:32 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:40 am
Sadly, no-one in the organization is going to tell Carroll that he should let his OC make those decisions. Nothing is going to change. No amount of evidence that his decisions are harming the team's chances of success is going to convince him that he is not competent to make them.
Yep.

douche

Post by douche » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:33 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:53 am
He might want to adapt give this little fun fact.
Seahawks' opponents' combined record in first half of season: 25-34-1. Second half: 38-20-1. They have only two teams with losing records left on the schedule, Tampa Bay (2-5) this week and Arizona (3-4-1) in next-to-last week of the season.
They'll be lucky to win 3 more games.

Logainismyhero

Post by Logainismyhero » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:35 pm

This team is SOFT

They'll make the playoffs, I think, but will get trounced the first round.

S
O
F
T

Carroll needs to be let go. We need an aggressive HC.

douche

Post by douche » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:38 pm

Logainismyhero wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:35 pm
This team is SOFT

They'll make the playoffs, I think, but will get trounced the first round.

S
O
F
T

Carroll needs to be let go. We need an aggressive HC.
As someone mentioned earlier, Carroll doesn't play to win, he plays 'not to lose'.

XpertDBA

Post by XpertDBA » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:46 pm

"a decision that decreased the Seahawks’ chances of winning the game by 4%"

We're having an entire thread talking about a decision that made a 4% difference? That's 52% versus 48% and that's an argument for criticizing Carroll? Yeah, I'd like to see them go for it too, but the decision to try a FG isn't that big of deal. I'd much rather criticize Carroll for his bland, boring and unimaginative playbook that keeps running the same tired unchanging plays over and over and over no matter who the opponent is or trying to expose their weaknesses on defense.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:57 pm

XpertDBA wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:46 pm
"a decision that decreased the Seahawks’ chances of winning the game by 4%"

We're having an entire thread talking about a decision that made a 4% difference? That's 52% versus 48% and that's an argument for criticizing Carroll? Yeah, I'd like to see them go for it too, but the decision to try a FG isn't that big of deal. I'd much rather criticize Carroll for his bland, boring and unimaginative playbook that keeps running the same tired unchanging plays over and over and over no matter who the opponent is or trying to expose their weaknesses on defense.
If that was the only time he ever did it then no big deal but if he does it every game, even multiple times a game, it will cost you at least a win a season. Its not the plays, its the choice of plays. I was happy with the plays that resulted in 24 points in a half but not the play calling that resulted in 3 points in a half.
dt