RIP Don Shula

D-train

RIP Don Shula

Post by D-train » Mon May 04, 2020 3:32 pm

Mt. Rushmore of coaches of the 70s & 80s along with Landry, Noll and Walsh.
dt

D-train

Re: RIP Don Shula

Post by D-train » Mon May 04, 2020 3:32 pm

dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon May 04, 2020 3:49 pm

Saw that this morning. 90 years old. Pretty sad, he was an absolute icon.

Oso Dorado

Post by Oso Dorado » Mon May 04, 2020 7:29 pm

He'll never see another undefeated team in the NFL. Nice to be able claim that honor. RIP. A class individual and a great coach.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Mon May 04, 2020 8:44 pm

One of the all time greats, I wonder if he would go up on the Mount Rushmore of NFL coaches, period. Belichik gets the George Washington spot, but the other three spots are pretty challenging. I think Shula would get one of the other three spots. 33 years and a lot of success.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon May 04, 2020 9:03 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:44 pm
One of the all time greats, I wonder if he would go up on the Mount Rushmore of NFL coaches, period. Belichik gets the George Washington spot, but the other three spots are pretty challenging. I think Shula would get one of the other three spots. 33 years and a lot of success.
Great question. Depends on the criteria I guess, but Shula could be there. I was also thinking Lombardi has to be one...I mean, the trophy is named after him. Then? Walsh? That could be recency bias, but he changed the way offenses played. Noll was 4 and 0 in Super Bowls. Landry went to 5, but lost 3. Gibbs was 3 and 1 in Super Bowls, so one more appearance than Walsh and the same number of rings. I have always felt that Seifert's ring should have at least partially been credited to Walsh.

I would say Belichick, Shula, Lombardi and Walsh. With an honorable mention to Noll and Gibbs. You might be able to convince me to put one of those two in for Shula, but hard to make that case today since he just passed.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon May 04, 2020 9:30 pm

He lost more than 8 games once in 33 years. :shock:
dt

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Mon May 04, 2020 10:47 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:03 pm
DavidGee24 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:44 pm
Great question. Depends on the criteria I guess, but Shula could be there. I was also thinking Lombardi has to be one...I mean, the trophy is named after him. Then? Walsh? That could be recency bias, but he changed the way offenses played. Noll was 4 and 0 in Super Bowls. Landry went to 5, but lost 3. Gibbs was 3 and 1 in Super Bowls, so one more appearance than Walsh and the same number of rings. I have always felt that Seifert's ring should have at least partially been credited to Walsh.

I would say Belichick, Shula, Lombardi and Walsh. With an honorable mention to Noll and Gibbs. You might be able to convince me to put one of those two in for Shula, but hard to make that case today since he just passed.
I think that Noll and/or Terry Bradshaw might have been overrated. I know this sounds weird to say about a team that won four Super Bowls in less than a decade, but the Steelers' rosters were so stacked that they had no competition in the AFC except for maybe the Raiders, yet their best regular season record was 12-2 and they lost some postseason games against teams that they should have stomped. Those guys should have won at least two more Lombardis and put up at least a couple undefeated seasons, they had top talent EVERYWHERE on the field. But somebody held them back and I wonder if it was the coach or if it was Bradshaw.

Shula, on the other hand, seems to have gotten the most out of his teams, even where Dan Marino is concerned. They blew the NFC Title game to the Patriots and ruined what would have been an epic rematch against the Bears in Super Bowl, but otherwise it didn't seem like he ever screwed up until he got old.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue May 05, 2020 12:19 am

George Halas