Are the Hawks waiting to trade for.. .. Clowney?

ThePro

Are the Hawks waiting to trade for.. .. Clowney?

Post by ThePro » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:33 am

This is the time of year for speculation, rankings and hype. Thought I would spice it up a little.

I still find it odd that the Hawks would pass on a 25 yo pass rusher with 14 sacks. You must admit that is out of character. They did get quite the draft haul. However just seems unusual. Hawks have plenty of cap space next year.

Texans have shit the bed with Clowney. He hasn't signed his franchise tender and more than likely he won't be signing a long term deal with Houston. To make matters worse they franchised Clowney as a OLB instead of a DE . He has a grievance filed. That move by the Texans FO is costing him money under the franchise tag.

Doesn't this year seem kinda quiet for big splash moves by the Hawks? They signed Wilson and traded Clark but what have they really added? Aren't we all a little nervous about the pass rush? Doesn't it seem incomplete? Before you dismiss me as crazy.... I'm not the only one. Doesn't this sound like something Schneider would do?

https://www.sportscasting.com/nfl/5-pot ... n-clowney/

https://www.12up.com/posts/4-realistic- ... dfcb6w2m7z

https://footballmaven.io/seahawks/news/ ... pZF7DjTHQ/

D-train

Re: Are the Hawks waiting to trade for.. .. Clowney?

Post by D-train » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Sounds a hell of a lot better than his Harvin and Graham trades where he tried to make a big splash. This one would probably actually work out well. What do you think would be the cost in terms of picks and or players?
dt

franson247

Post by franson247 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:10 pm

I would love to see Clowney as a Hawk! My guess is it would take quite a haul to get him in our uniform, though. With Jarran Reed looking to cost quite the pretty penny, do you think he would be part of the package?

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:02 pm

It would take quite the trade offer. Similar to what Hawks received for Clark. 1st and a 2nd and a swap of 3rds. I don't see Reed being a part of that trade because the Texans would be inheriting another young D lineman about to enter FA. However Hawks could trade Reed after '19 season and recoup some of what they lost in a Clowney trade.

All speculation at this point but I think the Texans are going to trade Clowney somewhere.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:10 pm

ThePro wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:02 pm
It would take quite the trade offer. Similar to what Hawks received for Clark. 1st and a 2nd and a swap of 3rds. I don't see Reed being a part of that trade because the Texans would be inheriting another young D lineman about to enter FA. However Hawks could trade Reed after '19 season and recoup some of what they lost in a Clowney trade.

All speculation at this point but I think the Texans are going to trade Clowney somewhere.
That is the most interesting thing about this. Imagine if they traded for Clowney, were able to sign him, and the next off season recouped what they lost by trading away Reed.

The question to me is, if they can't afford to pay Reed, how can they pay Clowney?

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:30 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:10 pm
M a

That is the most interesting thing about this. Imagine if they traded for Clowney, were able to sign him, and the next off season recouped what they lost by trading away Reed.

The question to me is, if they can't afford to pay Reed, how can they pay Clowney?
Just because a team doesn't sign someone it means they can't afford them. True some teams have to let a player go for cap relief. Hawks have 70 mil in cap space next year. They could fit the contracts of Wagner, Reed and Clowney in . . If they chose to. If the team doesn't sign Reed its because they felt he was replaceable.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:45 pm

Wagner, Reed and Clowney!? That works for me!

HawkandMariner88

Post by HawkandMariner88 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:13 am

You saw the name Trent Williams bandied about too. What does Hawk nation think of adding him to potentially replace Ifedi on the right side?

One through trade the other a signing. Frankly I'd love to have both if we could. Who's more proven, who's more durable. We just invested a shit ton of capital in Russ but as they say you can never have too many pass rushers. Imagine Clowney in front of a raucous crowd. Either way I'd say its a win win. What have we got to lose.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:38 pm

Here we go...
I was watching a video way before pre season started and one of the hosts was adamant that the Hawks were going to trade for Clowney. The others scoffed reminding him they weren't willing to go that high salary wise for Clark. Without hesitation he said "They weren't willing to go that high. .for Clark. Been following the situation ever since.They traded away a 26 yo pass rusher, then yawned at McCoy and Mike Daniels. I think the Hawks have been laying and waiting.

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/would-the- ... n-clowney

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:14 pm

Heard Greg Bell on the radio an hour ago saying that Mingo has been HORRIBLE in one on one pass rush drills and has lost like 20 straight matchups including getting pancaked by Jordon freakin Roos.
dt