Salk on PC

D-train

Salk on PC

Post by D-train » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:14 pm

dt

Michael K.

Re: Salk on PC

Post by Michael K. » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:02 pm

Two things that, IMO, explains what is wrong with this team, why it will win ball games but not playoff games.
...he ceded some public ground to Russell Wilson this offseason. Russell complained about the Seahawks’ offensive line, lobbied for a more modern approach to the offense, wanted a say in the hiring of a new coordinator to install those modern changes, and even threw out some destinations he wouldn’t mind being exploring in the trade market. While he talked, Pete was quiet. Yes, Pete looked good and Russ looked bad. Pete looked mature while Russell seemed petulant and not particularly comfortable saying anything beyond his usual platitudes and cliches.
Yep, Russ got his way, had the ball in his hands three times last week? And shit all over his shoes. Then? Deflects blame afterwards.

Pete isn't without blame. I agree with Salk here.
But the perception is that in new offensive coordinator Shane Waldron, Russ got his kind of guy. And logic would dictate that if Russ got his way, then it came with an implied admission that Pete’s style was outdated. I don’t believe Pete thinks his style is any more outdated today than it was in 2013. He is as convicted about his philosophies as anyone I’ve ever been around. Is he willing to adapt? Yes. But will he change his core beliefs? No. Nor should he.
Bam, two guys that refuse to either adapt or accept responsibility. Russ looked like a little bitch all off season and this week, deflecting blame? He looks like a Big Bitch. I wonder how much he has lost the locker room. If I was the guy wide open and he chucked it deep anyway? If I was the guy protecting him on first and second down so he could fuck it up only to have him damn near lose the game himself on third down? Only to have him deflect the blame? Fuck that.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:01 pm

RW has really lost a significant dimension to his game the past few years and I think that drops him from great to good.
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:31 pm

I don't believe the problem is Pete Carroll's philosophy - it's a proven method - the problem is lacking the personnel and, even more so, lacking the high end draft capitol to replenish what has been lost. Pete is flawed, for sure, but his ideology works - with the right talent. He loses major points for bumbling mistakes and blatant mismanagement at critical times - but to be fair - no one is perfect.

I think the bigger problem is Wilson who is far more interested in chasing accolades towards A) a yellow jacket and B) protecting and building his brand, shirking blame and responsibility to protect his image in the pursuit of A & B. I think Wilson also has expectations he is somehow going to be in the Seahawks ownership group, allowing him to add another notch to his brand. I like Wilson, best QB we've had, but I think his time has come and gone. The dude has shown NO motivation in recent years beyond his own personal accolades - is there anyone on here that disagrees with that?

My biggest criticism of JS is not bringing in any real competition at QB - because if we read the tea leaves here - imagine Wilson's next contract expectations. That shit is looming large - and for a guy who is the highest paid player on the team to consistently shit the bed in crunch time in recent history, I cannot fathom hitching my wagon to that - and the cost that will be coming with that.

I really don't think Seattle has much ceiling this year - I would seriously be entertaining trade offers for him. This is not a knee jerk - I've been saying it for while. The problem is this is Pete's last hurrah - possibly JS's too. I believe after this season there has to be sweeping changes made - it's simply time. Seattle will win some games, probably the prime time ones where Wilson gets the opportunity to play in the spotlight for his one personal gain - but without a consistently focused and motivated QB, there will be no deep run - just another empty season - and at this point, Seattle needs the high end draft picks more than 10 wins and a bottom third of the draft position.

I fully expect an ass kicking by the Vikings this weekend - it's overdue.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:36 pm

When was the last time that on Sept. 24th the M's were the hottest team in town????? :D
dt

douche

Post by douche » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:33 pm

auroraave wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:31 pm
I don't believe the problem is Pete Carroll's philosophy - it's a proven method - the problem is lacking the personnel and, even more so, lacking the high end draft capitol to replenish what has been lost. Pete is flawed, for sure, but his ideology works - with the right talent. He loses major points for bumbling mistakes and blatant mismanagement at critical times - but to be fair - no one is perfect.
Agreed. And what you're really saying is that Pete has refused to adapt. To everything... personnel, approach, schemes, game-time adjustments, etc.

His fingerprints are all over this roster. He has final say on everything football-related. So there's no excuse. EVERYTHING is on PC.

But when you mention his philosophy, he must either be in denial or not very bright. Continuing to utilize the same approach without the right personnel is insanity. It's like trying to fit the square peg into the round hole.

PC must be a control freak, because he could literally have any number of resources at his disposal to assist him in his job. This is what I don't understand. He must be drinking his own Kool-Aid.
Last edited by douche on Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nwadventure

Post by Nwadventure » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:43 pm

Aurora - Spot on as usual- Too many leaks to plug I am afraid, too many personnel misses, bumbling coaching, scared deep zone defense on almost every snap- RW in the huddle just thinking about new cologne options- Its either a 30 yard pass attempt, Carson up the middle for no gain , or RW not seeing someone wide open, holds the ball too long gets sacked or just passes out of bounds. Dickinson leg is going to fall off this year unless something changes- T-Lock cant be stopped though, please keep giving him the rock and remember we have some pretty decent tight ends- Assuming the Hawks go down this weekend in a very seahawky way- 32-26

Lets hope I am wrong-

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:34 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:01 pm
RW has really lost a significant dimension to his game the past few years and I think that drops him from great to good.
My GOD, Ryan, Brees and Goff are on that list!? His refusal to run has been strange. It reminds me a little of Jake Locker. Remember when the goal of Sark was not to win football games but to get Locker to be the #1 pick? Instead of running for 8 yards on third and 5, Jake would hang in the pocket and spike a throw forcing a punt. Somehow, Jake and Sark believed that NFL coaches and organizations hated first downs I guess!

Russ heard all the talk about being just a running QB and not a pocket passer, so he proved them all wrong. Except now there is a big aspect of his game that is gone. Sam Darnold is a bigger rushing threat than Russ Wilson. For a QB and a Coach that are supposedly all about winning? That is odd.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:36 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:36 pm
When was the last time that on Sept. 24th the M's were the hottest team in town????? :D
Still hasn't happened. The lead story on Friday, in the middle of the baseball playoff chase, is still Seahawk football. Hate to burst your bubble.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:43 pm

Nwadventure wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:43 pm
Aurora - Spot on as usual- Too many leaks to plug I am afraid, too many personnel misses, bumbling coaching, scared deep zone defense on almost every snap- RW in the huddle just thinking about new cologne options- Its either a 30 yard pass attempt, Carson up the middle for no gain , or RW not seeing someone wide open, holds the ball too long gets sacked or just passes out of bounds. Dickinson leg is going to fall off this year unless something changes- T-Lock cant be stopped though, please keep giving him the rock and remember we have some pretty decent tight ends- Assuming the Hawks go down this weekend in a very seahawky way- 32-26

Lets hope I am wrong-
All of those things somewhat contradict what Aurora said. I disagree with him, Pete's philosophy is grossly dated. Heard some guys on Fox last night dissing on Kirk Cousins, talking about how it doesn't take a stud QB to win the Super Bowl....then decided to bring up the 85 Bears, Trent Dilfer's Ravens and Brad Johsnon's Bucs. Uhm, pretty sure NON of those teams won in the Salary Cap era! Manning was broken when the Broncos won it and Joe Flacco wasn't exactly HOF worthy the last time the Ravens won it. Other than that, what Qb wasn't at least Pro Bowl caliber when they won a Super Bowl?

Shit like that, is very Pete like. 2013 is not 2021, and this roster is not that roster. The defense you lament, the scared deep zone? That is Pete. Relying on a Punter? That is Pete. What Russ did Sunday was a mistake, going for it late is fine, but the throw has to be there. You don't throw a 50 50 ball into coverage in that spot. You throw underneath, get second and short and then convert. You do that a few times and you win the game. He went against Pete's philosophy, at the very wrong time.

Even Pete knows his shit is old, that is why Waldron is here. There has never been an OC less like Pete than Shane Waldron, and there has never been one more LIKE Pete than Schottenheimer. That move was admitting that his philosophy aint gonna work in 2022.