Three things I learned about the Hawks

TraderGary

Re: Three things I learned about the Hawks

Post by TraderGary » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:10 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:49 am
okay, again, he is 70 years old. My feeling is he wouldn't be interested in starting over building a team. And I don't agree that he feels he could win with just any QB. The Hawks are actually one of the most aggressive teams in the league pushing the long pass, plus 20 yards. That is actually a big part of Petes approach to offense. And in RW he has basically the best at doing it.

That's Pete's offense
“Since entering the NFL in 2012, Wilson leads all quarterbacks in several categories on throws traveling at least 25 yards beyond the line of scrimmage: completions (159), completion rate (41.8%), yards (6,421) and touchdowns (53).”
Fair enough, but he's also a 70 year old HC who's in the first year of a shiny new 5-year extension. And I think he's too prideful to go out on a losing note. In his mind, he's still very capable of taking a team to the SB even without RW.

TraderGary

Post by TraderGary » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:16 am

HawkandMariner88 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:57 am
I wanna know one thing from Hawks Nation right now:

Clean slate, new staff, starting from scratch, who are you hiring as head coach. You go defense or offense & why.
I don't have a name off the top of my head, (you have to wonder why Bieniemy hasn't gotten a job yet), but I would want to see an offensive minded head coach to take advantage of RW's skillset and see what he can do. We've never had that luxury under Pete. But I think I would want to keep Waldron as OC to see what he could really do without the Pete handcuffs which I firmly believe he is under.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:55 am

Eric Bienemy...but not sure how that works with Waldren as OC. I might have to change my mind now, but Bienemy and Waldron with a DC that isn’t a mental midget and a PC scared shitless soft zone disciple? With the talent in this offense? Could be fun.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:25 am

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:12 pm
TraderGary wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:09 pm

So sadly, Pete will be in Seattle for as long as he chooses because Jody is not going to fire him, and he doesn't answer to anyone else. And his ego will never admit that the game has passed him by, and his tired schemes and philosophies don't work in Today's NFL. The game has changed, but he refuses to adapt. He would rather have his corners play 10 yards off the receivers and give up the easy chunk plays, than risk getting beat deep. It's asinine. There's really no other way to describe it.
He doesn't need to go, he just needs to go upstairs. I think his stubbornness to adjust has made him less of a coach. Doesn't mean he is less of a leader. We have made some crummy draft selections, but for the most part the organization has been very solid. Get us a more modern Head Coach who will bring in a new DC and a new philosophy to work with Waldron?

Maybe I am naïve, and maybe that would never work because Pete didn't move upstairs on his own terms, who knows?
PC doesn't strike me as an upstairs guy in the least. It would be like a guy on one of those Alaska survival shows being told he would have to spend the rest of his life working as an accountant in an office building.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:27 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:49 am
okay, again, he is 70 years old. My feeling is he wouldn't be interested in starting over building a team. And I don't agree that he feels he could win with just any QB. The Hawks are actually one of the most aggressive teams in the league pushing the long pass, plus 20 yards. That is actually a big part of Petes approach to offense. And in RW he has basically the best at doing it.

That's Pete's offense
“Since entering the NFL in 2012, Wilson leads all quarterbacks in several categories on throws traveling at least 25 yards beyond the line of scrimmage: completions (159), completion rate (41.8%), yards (6,421) and touchdowns (53).”
Yep he was the one that nixed the RW to the Bears trade.
dt