Good God, its worse than I thought

D-train

Good God, its worse than I thought

Post by D-train » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:06 pm

First of all did you guys see that Byron Murphy, the UW CB we could have picked instead of LJ had two picks Sunday? The Seahawks have ZERO picks on the season.

The text I highlight in red below is insane.
By Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter
The Seahawks may not have had tight coverage during Sunday’s 30-17 loss at Minnesota.

But coach Pete Carroll made up for it by being exceedingly tight-lipped when he talked to the media Monday via Zoom.

Carroll allowed that “there’s a competition kind of brewing” at the cornerback spot after Kirk Cousins threw for 323 yards and three touchdowns in leading the Vikings to 23 straight points after Seattle grabbed an early 17-7 lead.

But otherwise, Carroll offered few specifics as to what the Seahawks will do to fix a defense that ranks last in the NFL, allowing 440.3 yards per game, reviving sordid memories of the first half of last season.

Carroll keeping things close to the vest may be expected, not only out of trying to keep future opponents in the dark but also because Carroll himself may be somewhat flummoxed as to what has gone wrong with a defense that rebounded in the second half last year to rank as one of the best in the NFL over the final eight games and returned most of its key parts in 2021.

“We’re working on it,” Carroll said. “We have plans. I can answer that effectively and clearly that we have plans.”

Those may include giving more playing time to cornerbacks other than Tre Flowers and D.J. Reed, who each struggled against the Vikings.

According to Pro Football focus, Flowers gave up seven receptions on seven targets for 78 yards. Flowers is allowing a passer rating of 139.6 for the season, according to PFF.

Reed, meanwhile, gave up three receptions for 29 yards and two TDs — each in the second quarter as Minnesota grabbed the lead for good — according to PFF.

Seattle did not have a pass defense in the game from a defensive back and does not have an interception this season.

Afterward, both Reed and Flowers intimated that they felt the scheme was holding them back some.

Flowers defiantly said his confidence level was “High. High as hell. I mean, I don’t care what anybody says … I know I’m playing good. Everybody can get better. If you want to point the finger at me, go ahead.”

Carroll said he hadn’t seen what Flowers and Reed said. But he said he felt Seattle’s cornerbacks could have been more aggressive.

“It felt like they threw the ball underneath us quite a bit,” Carroll said. “We didn’t do much to disrupt that. I thought they played a solid conservative game but didn’t make any plays that could’ve changed it for us. We could’ve used a couple here and there. Unfortunately, we didn’t get anything from any of the guys on that side of the ball.”

Seattle has some options at cornerback if it wants to use them. Former Husky Sidney Jones is listed as Flowers’ backup at right corner and Carroll said he thought about playing him Sunday. Seattle also has recently acquired John Reid and Bless Austin as backups as well as 2021 fourth-round pick Tre Brown, who can come off injured reserve this week.

“I’ll let you know when I know more about that,” Carroll said of the cornerback competition. “But it’s ongoing.”

The comments of Reed and Flowers, as well as some heated conversations among players on the sideline, led to the idea there is some dissension in the ranks.

Carroll didn’t directly address that idea but said the players are not totally bound to the scheme and have some leeway to change some coverages as they see fit.

“We can always challenge,” Carroll said. “There is freedom in our scheme. There always has been for them when they’re played up and back, and on the line of scrimmage in that they have to make a choice depending on the situation and the call and the split and all of that.“

Carroll said the corners played off quite a bit against the Vikings “probably more than we would like if we go back and do it again. But they do have some choices they can make.”

But the play of the corners was far from the only issue Sunday. Seattle had only one sack and four quarterback hits and Carroll pointed to that as the main reason the Seahawks have forced only two turnovers this season (one of which was Carson Wentz’s bungled snap on a fourth down in the opener).

“We need more,” Carroll said of the pass rush. “We need to be more effective. We have not disrupted the quarterback. That shows you in terms of turnovers and us being able to get after that football. It starts there. Our guys are working it. They’re busting their tails to get it. We just need to work together. I think the whole thing just needs to work together tighter.”
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: Good God, its worse than I thought

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:40 pm

Carroll's plan can be summed up as the following: "they need to play better". The scheme is fine, and the players are fine too, but they just need to do better.

Nothing is going to change.

Gametime

Post by Gametime » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:56 pm

You are correct, as long as Pete is running the show it will stay the same. No matter what the personnel is.

Weird that he really blames the pass rush. The dline us the issue—then don’t swing and miss on the dline draft if. Then don’t trade 2 first round picks and a 3rd and almost 18 million on a safety.

How many mistakes can they make?

Oh, and keep Norton and his wonderful schemes and coaching.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:56 pm

49ers favored by 3. Man that seems light.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:03 pm

dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:26 pm

the corners are playing like shit, and Pete seems to be agreeing with that, he certainly isn't anywhere in there defending them. You can blame Pete for having them out there in he first place. But to me, that is Pete saying its on them, which is kind of unusual for him really

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:33 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:26 pm
the corners are playing like shit, and Pete seems to be agreeing with that, he certainly isn't anywhere in there defending them. You can blame Pete for having them out there in he first place. But to me, that is Pete saying its on them, which is kind of unusual for him really
But the corners are saying its the scheme but PC is saying they have freedom within the scheme to press so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=452XjnaHr1A
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:41 pm

okay, there was so much red it was hard to figure what the key was. Pete seems to be calling BS on that. Its an unusual sort of exchange, particularly with Pete, so that is pretty wild, yeah.

Its come up before, this thing about how tight to cover. Pete has seemed to claim that the corners are not covering as tight as he would want them to. The question being why not, if he wants them to cover tighter, why don't they just cover tighter. Again. particularly with corner being Pete's position specialty

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:43 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:26 pm
According to Salk, he said on his show yesterday that it isn't exactly as it seems. Says the CBs play deep by design, basically insinuating that all the money and draft capital we spent on LBs was wasted. Which, is not the case, his fuckiing ridiculous scheme is stupid as fuck. No one asks LBs to do more in coverage than we do, so we draft run stuffing LBs. Can't make this fucking shit up.

He is an IDIOT, and his DC is just as bad. The scheme is the dumbest fucking thing. He acts like it is 1965 and all you need to defend against is the occasional bomb and the three yards and cloud of dust offense! I HATE watching us. I was told in the pre season when we watched everyone we played for two weeks go on sole crushing time consuming scoring drives to relax, we aren't playing anyone. Who cares, the SCHEME doesn't translate. This scheme would make the 85 Bears below average.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:50 pm

dt