Post Mortem: Hags v Lambs

auroraave

Post Mortem: Hags v Lambs

Post by auroraave » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:10 pm

Until Seattle shows signs of life - they're the 'hags.

Actually watched this one - it was streaming on Amazon, and my very first reaction was... hooo-lee shit do they run a lot of commercials. Wow.
It was so wild - during the endless stream of commercials, they occasionally cut away to a sporting event going on.

But I digress...

I only watched the first half - frankly this game was boring, like two over the hill fighters going at it listlessly and with bad trainers plotting out no real direction. I turned it off at half time and went back to binging The Sopranos.

Noticed a bit of an attempt at some tempo - the clock didn't always wind down to 5 seconds before breaking the huddle - but they were inconsistent with it.

Is Joe Biden running the Seahawks? Who blows off a good field goal opportunity to run it at Aaron Donald on fourth and two? Why the need to pound Collins - predictable - for so much of the game? The strength of the offense should be the passing game - but it looked like a showcase for Collins whose production was only meh. Bizarre game plan. Another bizarre play call was the third down - a roll out LEFT to the short side of the field. Huh?

Wilson continues to be a conundrum. I keep expecting more intermediate routes - tight end stuff - clearing out zones and exploiting the middle of the field - you know - shit that grinds out 5-10 yards before YAC. Route concepts every offense in the NFL uses against Seattle. If only there were tape of those plays they could look at to consider this concept. Too much Pete ball going on - with a roster that can't play that way - and I've had my fill of that.

Great to see DK go right against Ramsey for the win. Mano a mano.

Saw some things on defense I liked - movement and looks used to confuse Gofford. Defense really has a meager pass rush - that always stresses the secondary. What ever happened to Ryan Neil? Dude was a revelation four days ago - so they sit him? More Joe Bidening (doing things that make no sense) I guess. Jordyn Brooks continues to be a tackling machine. So sad that Seattle wasted a draft pick on him when they already had KJ Wright, right? lol!

What happened to using Jamal Adams to his strengths? Bizarre misuse of assets. More Bidening. :lol:

With Wilson injured, it should get really interesting. Let him sit - I am more than happy to have someone else out there. Wilson should be in audition-for-his-job mode - but he hasn't been for years now. I've been saying it for two years now - I welcome a change at the position - someone who can throw a slant or a quick hitter to a tight end. Wilson is a five speed transmission that only seems to utilize first and fifth gear. I'll take the growing pains that come with Geno Smith - this team is simply stuck in neutral with Wilson - and making a move now may galvanize the team.

My biggest complaint about Seattle's front office is the lack of competition at the QB spot - I've been hoping for years now hat they would begin to look at options before Wilson's next contract - and now it's looking like it's too late. They went all in on him - with no planning for the future - and Wilson has led them exactly no where. He's good, best to play in Seattle, but as I've blathered on about for years now - there is simply no motivation beyond his brand building and personal accolades and the front office should have been more aware. It'll be sad to see him go, but this needs to happen - maybe he could jump start his passion for the game on another team - I seriously hope so - but this idling in neutral shit has gone on for too long.

I'm not shitting on Wilson, I'm merely pointing out what seems obvious to my eye. The front office and coaching staff bear a lot of responsibility in this too. I wish I could figure out who Shane Waldron is - but the play calling I am seeing is too similar to what we've seen under the last coordinators. Fourth and two - in field goal range - and you run it at Aaron Donald? I'm the biggest idiot on this forum - and even I know better. Why not roll Wilson out and at least give him options? Why not utilize one of our seven foot tight ends?

The Seahawks are pulling a Joe Biden on us.

The season isn't over, Seattle tends to improve over the season - but this is not a playoff-run team even if they make the dance, which looks unlikely. The injuries are already piling up - gonna be a big serving of irony when Seattle gets eliminated in week 12 - and gets decimated by injuries - and then still has to play that pointless 17th game - which will be an 18th game within a couple of years. Who is gonna pay full freight to watch filler games at the end of the season? Everyone on here should have seen this coming.

Go hawks...

douche

Re: Post Mortem: Hags v Lambs

Post by douche » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:18 pm

Matt Calkins from the Times:

After holding out for most of training camp, Adams signed a deal with Seattle that made him the highest-paid safety ever. Through five games, however, he hasn’t played well enough to justify half that money.

Analytics site Pro Football Focus ranks him 62nd among 78 safeties in the league. The coverage has been dicey and the sacks nonexistent. Might we see a second-half surge? Sure. Like turnovers, sacks tend to come in bunches. And remember, this Seahawks defense was putrid through the first half of last season before turning it around for the final eight games. A similar 180 can’t be ruled out for this year.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:37 pm

douche wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:18 pm

After holding out for most of training camp, Adams signed a deal with Seattle that made him the highest-paid safety ever. Through five games, however, he hasn’t played well enough to justify half that money.

Analytics site Pro Football Focus ranks him 62nd among 78 safeties in the league. The coverage has been dicey and the sacks nonexistent. Might we see a second-half surge? Sure. Like turnovers, sacks tend to come in bunches. And remember, this Seahawks defense was putrid through the first half of last season before turning it around for the final eight games. A similar 180 can’t be ruled out for this year.
There seems to be a constant issue with the secondary players being out of position and/or confused about their assignments. That seems like coaching and preparation. I've always believed you can make up for a talent deficit with superior scheming and strategy - Seattle certainly has less talent than most - I believe it's an inevitable byproduct of success taking away high end draft capitol. We clearly are not out strategizing many teams - outside of the Indy game which was a perfect game but now seems like a huge fluke.

I think there may also be a problem with Wilson now wanting out of Seattle and not really giving a shit. Four offensive coordinators - and yet we're still playing smash mouth against Aaron Donald.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:06 pm

Maybe ESPN wasn't too far off when they said we'd go 0-9 to start the season. 3-6 isn't all that far off the mark.

Lamda

Post by Lamda » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:13 pm

Well - lets hope we have a nice rebuild for the next year or two lol. I'm not sure a whole removal of the front office isn't in order also but i'm not sure we got anyone at the top that is really running the show to do that. For whatever reason John/Pete have just lost their touch. Trading away our draft picks haven't helped much either. Wilson is gone - it would even be better for us if he missed say 2 months or so - that way we can lose just about all of those games and get a good draft slot. He won't re-sign with the club since we aren't going to win this year so they will trade him away. Adams needs to pick it up so we can get something good for him as well. Have Russ leave might not be the worst - teams seemed to have figure him out a bit - don't get me wrong he's still a great QB but doesn't it seem like he just can't carry the team much anymore? Can't elude as he used to? He seems to have fallen in love with the long pass so sits there and holds the ball for an hour and then gets sacked....then complains about getting sacked, lol.

douche

Post by douche » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:15 pm

auroraave wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:37 pm
douche wrote:

There seems to be a constant issue with the secondary players being out of position and/or confused about their assignments. That seems like coaching and preparation. I've always believed you can make up for a talent deficit with superior scheming and strategy - Seattle certainly has less talent than most - I believe it's an inevitable byproduct of success taking away high end draft capitol. We clearly are not out strategizing many teams - outside of the Indy game which was a perfect game but now seems like a huge fluke.

I think there may also be a problem with Wilson now wanting out of Seattle and not really giving a shit. Four offensive coordinators - and yet we're still playing smash mouth against Aaron Donald.
Agreed.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:46 pm

auroraave wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:37 pm
douche wrote:

Maybe Waldron had never heard of Aaron Donald.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:36 pm

Rams kept running the same play over and over

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/20 ... ast-night/

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:23 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:36 pm
Rams kept running the same play over and over

https://www.bleachernation.com/bears/20 ... ast-night/
Yeah, Millen was all over that. Clearly the scheme sucks and players like Wagner are being asked to do things they aren't good at. And, the DB's don't seem to know whether to play man or zone. Total chaos.

Mesully11

Post by Mesully11 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:04 am

A couple of times it looked to me like Daryl Bevell was back calling plays!

Wilson is about 5'10"
Smith is 6'3"

Ken Norton Jr might be on the chopping block.