Bell on the lack of a run game

Donn Beach

Bell on the lack of a run game

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:33 pm

it wasn't RW changing plays.
“I didn’t like that we didn’t get to run the ball more. In a close game like that, I would have expected that we would have run the ball more than we did,” Carroll said. “The running backs carried the ball 11 times, that’s not enough. It’s not enough to get into a rhythm and it’s not enough to get a feel for the game.”
full as in a lot of passes called
“Earlier this year, we changed them quite a bit. This past game, we didn’t change quite as much,” Wilson said, “just because of how full the game was.”
“I need to do a great job of sticking in the run game in those early game situations where we can come out with that balance,” offensive coordinator Shane Waldron said this week, “especially in the first half of the game.”
kind of a vicious cycle guess...
Carroll, Wilson and Waldron think the Seahawks’ problems running the ball come from lack of opportunity.

The Seahawks have run the fewest plays in the league (501, an average of 55.7 snaps per game). They are averaging 25:18 of possession time in each 60-minute game, more than 4 minutes lower than they averaged in 2020.

Both of those bottom-of-the-NFL numbers are related to not converting on third downs. Too many third downs have been long yardage because of so many negative plays.
https://ca.yahoo.com/news/seahawks-80-2 ... 09257.html

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: Bell on the lack of a run game

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:48 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:33 pm
it wasn't RW changing plays.
“I didn’t like that we didn’t get to run the ball more. In a close game like that, I would have expected that we would have run the ball more than we did,” Carroll said. “The running backs carried the ball 11 times, that’s not enough. It’s not enough to get into a rhythm and it’s not enough to get a feel for the game.”
Yeah, the problem was that RW wasn't changing pass plays to run plays when the D only had 6 in the box. Somebody should ask him why.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:14 am

I was thinking that too, does he check to run plays from passing plays?...though in his defense, if he is facing say a second and seven with a pass play called he probably isn't going to switch it to a run. A lot of it probably had to do with the game situations they found themselves in

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:41 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:33 pm

The Seahawks have run the fewest plays in the league (501, an average of 55.7 snaps per game). They are averaging 25:18 of possession time in each 60-minute game, more than 4 minutes lower than they averaged in 2020.

I got an idea, get a fucking first down!
Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:14 am
I was thinking that too, does he check to run plays from passing plays?...though in his defense, if he is facing say a second and seven with a pass play called he probably isn't going to switch it to a run. A lot of it probably had to do with the game situations they found themselves in
Well, no one really knows, but it is possible that Russ believes he should cook, so won't check out of a run play.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:17 am

and I wouldn't blame him, I don't think its up to RW to create a run game...

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:38 am

Well, after nearly 10 years in the league he should be able to read a defense and call a play that at least has a reasonable chance of being successful. Who's going to stop him?

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:42 pm

One has to wonder if making poor reads is his Achilles Heel?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:32 pm

pretty intense RW breakdown from the second game of the season which i had missed, SI does some interesting stuff, only glanced over it..but here

that is interesting to me, why they might keep pushing the pass, PC keeps getting labeled a run guy but he loves himself some big plays.
The passing game has suffered from an all-too-familiar explosive-or-bust nature, lacking much-needed rhythm. This is supported by the data. Per Pro Football Focus’ Kevin Cole, the Seahawks’ EPA per dropback places eighth in the league while their dropback success rate ranks 27th. As Cole put it, the “offense is heavily reliant on big plays right now.”

changing the defense while the ball is being snapped?...we sit here and figure RW is standing there analyzing the defense lol
Tennessee’s defense utilized some smart tactics to slow Wilson and dig up old bones. Holding a single-high disguise pre-snap, the Titans spun into a Tampa 2 invert defense well-suited to halting bootlegs. Think cover 2 but corners in the deep 1/2 zones, a safety rotating down to close the high hole.

Changing coverage post-snap versus under center formations is intelligent, because the quarterback has his back turned to the defense if executing an under center play-fake to his running back. As the passer turns around, he is suddenly presented with a different defensive look.
https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/gm-repo ... 21-offense

trharder

Post by trharder » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:55 pm

Is Pete putting this on Waldron?
My eyes say Alex Collins has been moderately effective. Possibly effective enough to establish some balance to
enable the play action. But out of the blue, they just quit handing it to him. I don't need a sports writer to
break that down for me.

The only explanation I can come up with is RW is running the show and Waldron is his bitch.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:37 pm

Don't worry, Penny can prove he was worth a 1st round pick today. :roll: :roll: :roll: He could literally break the single game NFL rushing record today and still wouldn't be close to the worth that pick.
dt