A 'Datt A Boy" for Penny

Pharmabro

A 'Datt A Boy" for Penny

Post by Pharmabro » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:41 pm

The once glorious position of running back has been much maligned as of late.

Don't sign to 2nd -3rd contracts

Don't draft early, etc.

I have been pretty down on Penny, oft-injured and finally breaking 1000 yards total in his 3rd season.

His rate stats?
5.1 yards a carry career.
76% catch %

He has always had the physical tools of a 1st Rd. back he just has never been healthy when Carson was not.

All that said I will give him a shout out for the good game he had Sunday. Poorly rated defense taken with prescribed grains of salt :D

auroraave

Re: A 'Datt A Boy" for Penny

Post by auroraave » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:01 pm

I am one of the few who unapologetically liked the pick. The circumstances were perfect for a RB to be taken quickly. Penny has never lacked talent - he's been oft-injured, and when available, he just never got the workload to develop into what he could be. You can't develop by getting 4 touches every other game. He is such a threat every time he gets the ball.

The bigger problem is people wanting him to fail, because they think it validates their criticisms of the front office drafting. No one seems to remember that, when Penny was drafted, Seattle had lost ALL of their RB's the previous season, making RW the leading rusher, thus making RB the position of most need. So they did the obvious thing; they drafted an All-American with their first pick - at the bottom of the first round. people also like to quietly lean into the facade that this was some top of the round pick - to make it look worse - but it wasn't.

No, people on here would rather have Penny fail, so they can stroke their own ego about 'how much more' they know about drafting than an NFL front office. They would rather root for Penny to fail, so they can validate their criticism, rather than root for Penny to succeed, in which case everyone wins. That's how some people's ego works - their ego is more important to them than the success of players and the team, as is evidenced by people already trying to downplay his game yesterday.

NO shame is embracing Penny's success. I hope he has a great career. But of course, that goes against the narrative on here that if Seattle had only picked Nick Chubb, he's be averaging 2000 a season, never get injured, and Seattle would be chasing another SB. :lol:

Some folks still have not come to terms with the fact every pick, every transaction is a RISK. They are the same people that complain when they lose at blackjack in Vegas. Guess what? It's a RISK.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:27 pm

auroraave wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:01 pm
I am one of the few who unapologetically liked the pick. The circumstances were perfect for a RB to be taken quickly. Penny has never lacked talent - he's been oft-injured, and when available, he just never got the workload to develop into what he could be. You can't develop by getting 4 touches every other game. He is such a threat every time he gets the ball.

The bigger problem is people wanting him to fail, because they think it validates their criticisms of the front office drafting. No one seems to remember that, when Penny was drafted, Seattle had lost ALL of their RB's the previous season, making RW the leading rusher, thus making RB the position of most need. So they did the obvious thing; they drafted an All-American with their first pick - at the bottom of the first round. people also like to quietly lean into the facade that this was some top of the round pick - to make it look worse - but it wasn't.

No, people on here would rather have Penny fail, so they can stroke their own ego about 'how much more' they know about drafting than an NFL front office. They would rather root for Penny to fail, so they can validate their criticism, rather than root for Penny to succeed, in which case everyone wins. That's how some people's ego works - their ego is more important to them than the success of players and the team, as is evidenced by people already trying to downplay his game yesterday.

NO shame is embracing Penny's success. I hope he has a great career. But of course, that goes against the narrative on here that if Seattle had only picked Nick Chubb, he's be averaging 2000 a season, never get injured, and Seattle would be chasing another SB. :lol:

Some folks still have not come to terms with the fact every pick, every transaction is a RISK. They are the same people that complain when they lose at blackjack in Vegas. Guess what? It's a RISK.
This post is so absurd on every level its is not even worth addressing. But yeah, you got us. We were completely despondent and heart broken watching Penny's big TD runs yesterday and we always complain when we lose at black jack. :|
dt

douche

Post by douche » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:36 pm

Lynch and Carson are smash mouth runners. Penny? Not so much. I think he's the wrong player for Pete's approach.

And some guys just can't stay healthy. Look no further than Prosise.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:39 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:27 pm

This post is so absurd on every level its is not even worth addressing. But yeah, you got us. We were completely despondent and heart broken watching Penny's big TD runs yesterday and we always complain when we lose at black jack. :|
+1

I don't root for him to fail... I expect him to fail based on past experience, and I laugh at it because at this point it's just funny, but I love seeing him have a big game. He literally looked like a COMPLETELY different guy Sunday.

The man can run thru a wide open hole and is big and fast enough that when he does, he looks good, and his stats reflect it. The problem is when there isn't a giant hole (like happens when you go against a horrible defense that can't tackle), he has no shiftiness, no vision, and can't break a tackle.

If he ran behind a dominant O-line, he'd have a good year, until he got hurt. With the mediocre-at-best O-Line we have, we need a YAC beast like Lynch or Carson, or somebody shifty like Collins.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:42 pm

douche wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:36 pm
Lynch and Carson are smash mouth runners. Penny? Not so much. I think he's the wrong player for Pete's approach.

And some guys just can't stay healthy. Look no further than Prosise.
260 yards a season for four years for a first round RB. Doesn't matter whose fault it is, or if its bad luck, even if he gains 200 yards a game for the rest of this season, it will be an epic fail of a pick. Its indisputable.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:35 pm

Yep, he could repeat Sunday four more times, still a bad pick. No need to root for him to fail, as if that would matter.

Second, even if we HAD a first round pick? I wouldn't root for us to lose.

Aurora is not happy unless he can come in here, whip it out and act like his Hawk is bigger than everyone else's. Getting pissed about wasted draft picks is nothing to be ashamed of. THIS shit is.

Aurora has posted some variation of this non sense about five times. One after each one of Penny's good games.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:06 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:35 pm
Yep, he could repeat Sunday four more times, still a bad pick. No need to root for him to fail, as if that would matter.

Aurora is not happy unless he can come in here, whip it out and act like his Hawk is bigger than everyone else's. Getting pissed about wasted draft picks is nothing to be ashamed of. THIS shit is.

Aurora has posted some variation of this non sense about five times. One after each one of Penny's good games.
bullshit.

Penny has not had 5 good games.

trharder

Post by trharder » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:20 pm

Penny was a bad draft pick. That's pretty obvious at this point. If you predicted that at the time and were proven right, pat yourself
on the back if you want.

But, it seems like you can't even discuss the dude, good or bad, without a rehash of the decision to draft him where they did.

My bias is I really like the kid based on interviews and it bums me out that he hasn't been healthy. I'm a little surprised he made
it back at all, let alone popped a big game like that. I get it that he was facing a shitty run defense and this game doesn't mean
much unless he can finish off the season as a useful productive RB. But if he does, I'd like to see the Seahawks try to keep him
for a low level "prove it" deal. Obviously we still need to find a Number One RB.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:25 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:06 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:35 pm

bullshit.

Penny has not had 5 good games.
Its his 3rd 100 yard game out of 61. Beastmode had 24.
dt