PC will be back

D-train

PC will be back

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:38 pm

From Condotta's piece:
And then Carroll made a strong statement of his own.

The team’s first losing season in 10 years has led to lots of speculation about the fate of Carroll, who has been Seattle’s coach since 2010.

But when asked after the game if he had any question in his mind whether he would be part of the team’s future, Carroll responded emphatically.

“No,” Carroll said. “I’m in great shape.”

That’s the same phrase Carroll has used throughout his Seahawks career whenever questions about his future have arisen, though in the past it was always about whether he would re-sign with the team in years when he had little time left on his contract.

Now, Carroll has four years left, having signed a new deal in 2020 that carries him through the 2025 season.

That apparent security hasn’t stopped the questions that increasingly popped up as Seattle lost eight of its first 11 games.

Only adding to the mystery is the silence of team chair Jody Allen, who took over control of the Seahawks in fall 2018 after the death of her older brother, Paul.

Jody Allen has said nothing publicly since taking over the team, which hadn’t mattered much until the past few months as the Seahawks had a losing season for the first time under her watch.

After the win over the Cardinals Sunday, though, Carroll said again that he and Allen are on the same page about the future — with Carroll, as he indicated, leading the charge.

Asked what the conversations have been like with Allen in recent days, Carroll said the talks have been “like we’ve always had. Really pointed at figuring things out. She’s very analytical, and she wants to make sure that we’re doing everything we can possibly do to get everything right. And she’s a terrifically competitive person in that regard. And she doesn’t want any stone unturned. Exactly the way I look at it. I just feel so connected to that thought that that’s what we do. But to have your owner talk that same way that’s a competitive perspective.

“And it goes back to the old line we used to have that we’re in a relentless pursuit of finding a competitive edge in everything we’re doing. That’s what she represents. We’ll try to do a great job of exchanging the information and then setting course for making sure that we give ourselves the best chance to be champions.”

Asked what Allen thinks about the season, Carroll at that point tried to change the subject.

“I don’t know,” he said. “That’s it. I’m not talking any more about it. She can speak for herself. She’d been with us the whole time. She’d been awesome. I’m not going to give you any inside scoop, OK? So don’t ask.”
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: PC will be back

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:42 pm

Gotta love Pete-speak. After reading all that i don't feel like i have any idea what JA is thinking or planning to do.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:25 pm

Frankly, I think PC earned the right to be back, so did JS and RW. A team decimated with injuries went down to the desert and pushed the cardinals around in their house and kicked 'em down a few rungs on the playoff seeding ladder. RW looked great - the offense had AZ on the ropes all game, the worst draft pick in Seahawks history had 190 yards rushing, the next worst pick just set the team record for tackles in a season, and an injury decimated defense had five sacks against a very squirrely QB. They looked motivated and prepared and I highly doubt there will be any major changes this off season. RW looked pumped - the whole team did. A team on life support was duct-taped together for one of the better wins of the last few seasons.

Didn't read that article - don't give a single shit what a media loser has to say - they passed the eyeball test yesterday despite having a lot of obstacles in their way. That says a LOT about the character of a team - especially to end the season. At full strength, with some tweaks, they could be back in the mix next year. That linebacking core looked really solid without Bobby. Must be all that shitty drafting. Barton playing over his head is so great to see. Youth is serving notice. Barton biding his time - learning the system - then dominating when given a chance. That's how you draft for the long term. That secondary is as formidable as any in the league when healthy. More great roster management by JS. Should be a lot of money coming off the books - they'll need it to sign some pieces. That's a very good financial situation to be in - again - more strong long-range fiscal management by JS. Bobby probably coming off the books. This team is actually well positioned going into the off season. Penny is the wild card right now.

This crew will all be back, and I think they earned it. I still want another QB to compete for a roster spot. Need new blood in that room for the future.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:31 pm

Youth is serving notice. Barton biding his time - learning the system - then dominating when given a chance. That's how you draft for the long term
Barton dominating? Let's not get carried away now. And i don't think too many people have said Brooks was a terrible draft pick. It's great that Penny is finally realizing his potential - good luck keeping him now.
That secondary is as formidable as any in the league when healthy.
Too bad Adams doesn't fit the "scheme".

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:46 pm

auroraave wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:25 pm
Frankly, I think PC earned the right to be back, so did JS and RW. A team decimated with injuries went down to the desert and pushed the cardinals around in their house and kicked 'em down a few rungs on the playoff seeding ladder. RW looked great - the offense had AZ on the ropes all game, the worst draft pick in Seahawks history had 190 yards rushing, the next worst pick just set the team record for tackles in a season, and an injury decimated defense had five sacks against a very squirrely QB. They looked motivated and prepared and I highly doubt there will be any major changes this off season. RW looked pumped - the whole team did. A team on life support was duct-taped together for one of the better wins of the last few seasons.

Didn't read that article - don't give a single shit what a media loser has to say - they passed the eyeball test yesterday despite having a lot of obstacles in their way. That says a LOT about the character of a team - especially to end the season. At full strength, with some tweaks, they could be back in the mix next year. That linebacking core looked really solid without Bobby. Must be all that shitty drafting. Barton playing over his head is so great to see. Youth is serving notice. Barton biding his time - learning the system - then dominating when given a chance. That's how you draft for the long term. That secondary is as formidable as any in the league when healthy. More great roster management by JS. Should be a lot of money coming off the books - they'll need it to sign some pieces. That's a very good financial situation to be in - again - more strong long-range fiscal management by JS. Bobby probably coming off the books. This team is actually well positioned going into the off season. Penny is the wild card right now.

This crew will all be back, and I think they earned it. I still want another QB to compete for a roster spot. Need new blood in that room for the future.
Agree that it was an impressive road win against a team that need a win for the division title.

Bob Condotta is the beat writer for the Seattle Times and he wrote the article for the sole purpose of getting PCs quotes out there. As per usual, he didn't add a single opinion in the entire piece. He is probably one of the most low key, non hype, non speculative milquetoast writers I've ever read but feel free to call him a loser despite not reading it. lol
dt

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:06 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:31 pm
Youth is serving notice. Barton biding his time - learning the system - then dominating when given a chance. That's how you draft for the long term
Barton dominating? Let's not get carried away now. And i don't think too many people have said Brooks was a terrible draft pick. It's great that Penny is finally realizing his potential - good luck keeping him now.
Barton got his first start and had 12 tackles - 7 solo. that's impressive. You can't ask for much more. Barton and Brooks had 32 tackles. Of course, on here, because they didn't have 12 interceptions as well, they're busts. We need to make sure the bar is unattainable to ensure "bust" status. The same draft gurus on here, all hell bent on proving their narrative the front office cannot draft, were whining about the Brooks pick "ohhhhh my gawwwwwd he can't cover!" Not based in any fact or reality - just trying to prove their own front office-hate bias - exactly like the Penny pick. Completely rational pick - but because he was injured "ohhhh my gawwwwd we could had chubb!!" utter nonsense - and now we are seeing exactly what they saw when they picked him. But the hindsighters will "yeah but...' all day instead of admitting it was a smart pick - ego over logic. The nation's leading rusher and an all-american 'is a bad pick'. :roll:
Injuries are the cold reality of the NFL - has nothing to do with bad drafting. Know the difference. Not everyone starts their march to canton on day one. It's unfortunate it took so long to get going - but get going he did. If anyone saw his presser from a couple games ago - he talked about what flipped the switch. Anyone see that? Of course not. I think he'll be back and with something to prove. "Oh my gawwwwwd he can't even unseat carson!" Well he just blew by Carson and with the most perfect timing of all. God forbid anyone actually approach this with a long game mentality.

Sorry, that Adams narrative just doesn't hold water. He was assimilating well and was playing lights out before the injury. The price was too high, but Adams was balling before he went down. Instead of appreciating how strong a secondary they put together - including killer depth - you're complaining about Adams who was actually trending up. These stale, worn out narratives around here - Jesus, it's like f'n CNN. Looking forward to the usual doubling down, rather than the appreciation that is warranted on what they saw in these guys. the frustrations are understandable, but there needs to be some context here.

"Yeah, but..." :lol:

SeattleSportsRUs

Post by SeattleSportsRUs » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:29 pm

auroraave wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:06 pm
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:31 pm
Barton got his first start and had 12 tackles - 7 solo. that's impressive. You can't ask for much more. Barton and Brooks had 32 tackles. Of course, on here, because they didn't have 12 interceptions as well, they're busts. We need to make sure the bar is unattainable to ensure "bust" status. The same draft gurus on here, all hell bent on proving their narrative the front office cannot draft, were whining about the Brooks pick "ohhhhh my gawwwwwd he can't cover!" Not based in any fact or reality - just trying to prove their own front office-hate bias - exactly like the Penny pick. Completely rational pick - but because he was injured "ohhhh my gawwwwd we could had chubb!!" utter nonsense - and now we are seeing exactly what they saw when they picked him. But the hindsighters will "yeah but...' all day instead of admitting it was a smart pick - ego over logic. The nation's leading rusher and an all-american 'is a bad pick'. :roll:
Injuries are the cold reality of the NFL - has nothing to do with bad drafting. Know the difference. Not everyone starts their march to canton on day one. It's unfortunate it took so long to get going - but get going he did. If anyone saw his presser from a couple games ago - he talked about what flipped the switch. Anyone see that? Of course not. I think he'll be back and with something to prove. "Oh my gawwwwwd he can't even unseat carson!" Well he just blew by Carson and with the most perfect timing of all. God forbid anyone actually approach this with a long game mentality.

Sorry, that Adams narrative just doesn't hold water. He was assimilating well and was playing lights out before the injury. The price was too high, but Adams was balling before he went down. Instead of appreciating how strong a secondary they put together - including killer depth - you're complaining about Adams who was actually trending up. These stale, worn out narratives around here - Jesus, it's like f'n CNN. Looking forward to the usual doubling down, rather than the appreciation that is warranted on what they saw in these guys. the frustrations are understandable, but there needs to be some context here.

"Yeah, but..." :lol:
Tackles are a wholly overrated stat.

The stat is inflated by a defense's inability to get off the field.

And the Hawks struggled to do that all year.

douche

Post by douche » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:36 pm

The way I see it, there are 3 possible scenarios:

1. Both RW and PC stay (more of the same)
2. RW stays, PC goes (highly unlikely as the organization owes Pete millions)
3. PC stays, RW goes (only thing that changes is the guy chucking the ball)

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:47 pm

I agree with this for the most but the perfect scenario......which has no chance of happening...would be to keep them all but completely eliminate PCs in game decisions. Someone else does the following with zero interference from PC:

1. Throws Challenge flags
2. Clock management
3. Calls the plays
4. Decide run pass mix
5. Decides whether to go or punt on 4th down

Let Pete remain on the field both in practice and games inspiring the troops and pomming the Pom Poms and let him continue to do what ever he does in terms of personnel decisions.

Like I said, it will never happen, but it would be perfect imo.
By Larry Stone
Seattle Times columnist
For three months, the Seahawks provoked frustration, anger and scorn — pretty much in that order.

The burning question on the table now is whether they knocked aside all that angst over the final six weeks, and most particularly with two season-ending games that showed how good they could have been. As coach Pete Carroll put it Sunday, “Our guys know how we can play. It just took too long, unfortunately.”

Put in simpler terms, did the Seahawks display enough over the closing stretch, capped by Sunday’s 38-30 win over the Arizona Cardinals, to dissuade use of the nuclear option by the woman who will make the ultimate decisions, team chair Jody Allen?

RELATED SEAHAWKS 38, CARDINALS 30
Seahawks enter uncertain offseason after playing spoiler to Cardinals in 38-30 win
Quandre Diggs’ injury ahead of his first free agency devastates Seahawks teammates, fans
Russell Wilson has mostly vintage performance as questions surrounding his future with Seahawks swirl
More

No one has a clue what Allen is thinking about the futures of Carroll, general manager John Schneider and quarterback Russell Wilson, because she hasn’t said a public word.

But I’m going to make a prediction: All three will be back in 2022. And I’ve been swayed to the conclusion that it’s the right thing to do.

That doesn’t mean, for starters, all the speculation about Wilson’s future was misguided or overblown. There are some very real issues of contention at play here, and they must be resolved. What it means is that the Seahawks hold the cards, and will come to the rational conclusion that trading a quarterback of Wilson’s caliber — his intermittent struggles in 2021 not withstanding — is not the way to get back on a championship track.

ADVERTISING
Skip Ad

Skip Ad

Skip Ad

Yes, he made two egregious errors Sunday that led directly to 14 points by the Cardinals. But Wilson also ran the offense with the sort of precision and command that reminded you why he has more wins at this stage of his career than any quarterback ever. On Sunday Wilson joined Peyton Manning as the only players in NFL history with at least 3,000 passing yards and 20 touchdowns in each of their first 10 seasons.

You don’t want to overreact to a small sample size, but with Wilson, the sample size is a decade’s worth of games. And the further he distanced himself from his finger injury, the more he began to resemble the Wilson of old. The Seahawks’ best play is to figure out how to make Wilson happy, not to discard him and start over with a new quarterback.

Which brings us to Carroll and Schneider. I registered as much frustration as anyone when the Seahawks lost to the Bears on Dec. 26. But when you look at the bigger picture, one bad year after a decade of sustained success simply doesn’t warrant a change at the top. Those two have earned the right to work their way out of this.

The Seahawks’ 4-2 finish with an increasingly healthy Wilson, a resurgent Rashaad Penny, and a strong-performing offensive line, showed that the offense, under rookie coordinator Shane Waldron, has a blueprint for success.

It can’t be ignored that the Seahawks were coming off nine consecutive years of winning records, eight of them resulting in playoff appearances and double-digit victories. Yes, the postseason results of late have been disappointing, but when you look at the history of this franchise before Carroll arrived, and how hard it is to sustain success in the NFL, you realize how special that is.

It can’t be ignored that five of the losses this year were by three points or fewer. And it can’t be ignored that they went 1-6 during the four weeks Wilson was out (including the game in which he was hurt) and the three following weeks when he clearly was still hampered by the injury.

ADVERTISING
Skip Ad

That’s not to say all is rosy in Seattle. I would have leaned toward a regime change at one point this season (and if the season had unraveled over the final month, I would have pushed for it). Check back if next year goes off the rails again. Maybe it’s a mistake to let the glow of a big win over a bad Lions team and an upset in the desert (by a Seattle team playing with the freedom of having nothing to lose) knock aside all the gloom that had gathered. The phrase “recency bias” comes to mind.

Yet I saw a team that kept playing hard for Carroll even when its playoff fate was readily apparent. He concocted a motivational plan of treating the last two games as if they were the NFC Championship Game and Super Bowl. He said he was trying to “capture that moment when it doesn’t even really exist outside of your imagination.”

Now Allen has to use her imagination to decide whether this 7-10 season was an aberration or the start of an unstoppable decline in Seattle. And whether their 31-point scoring average over the final six games was in itself a sign of an offensive epiphany or just a fluke of circumstance.

Carroll said of their performance, “It was putting it together, playing like we’re capable, so that we could see the future.”

As Black Monday hits the NFL with a rash of firings already, you can see clearly how unstable franchises churn through coaching regimes. The Seahawks need to tweak, adjust and grow. They need to take a hard look at every aspect of their philosophy. They need to use their ample cap space wisely.

But they don’t need to clean house.
dt

douche

Post by douche » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:04 pm