Wilson heading to the Broncos

Donn Beach

Re: Wilson heading to the Broncos

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:33 am

.I don't think there is a strong correlation between PC being HC and the success.
Not a strong correlation because he had the players to win with? You're saying there are coaches that do it without players?

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:38 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:02 am
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:09 am
Captain 97 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:56 am

Name another 3rd round QB that has started from Day 1 in the last 10 years. Let alone after the team just signed a high priced FA QB. It wasn't a no brainer at all.
It was for any coach that wanted to win more games.
Absolutely, RW was there for three rounds
The point is that there was an entire training camp and 4 preseason games for them to figure out that Wilson was a far better option than Flynn. I don't see anything remarkable about that.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:23 pm

That doesn't mean every other coach makes the same decision, this is all hindsight. I was surprised with it actually. The safe bet to me to begin the season was to go with the vet you had signed to a FA contract. The talk of it being an actual competition was BS, but it wasn't. It was a significant decision to draft RW in the first place, and it was followed up with giving him the opening day start

That was no small decision
. "Russell Wilson will start against the Raiders (in the preseason finale) and will start the first week of the regular season," Carroll said. "He is so prepared, he does not seem like a first-year quarterback."

The Seahawks selected Wilson in the third round (No. 75 overall) of the 2012 NFL Draft. Considered to be undersized at just under 5-foot-11 and 204 pounds, Wilson was, at best, expected to be the No. 2 quarterback behind free-agent addition Matt Flynn or as the No. 3 behind Flynn and incumbent starter Tarvaris Jackson.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:45 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:23 pm
That doesn't mean every other coach makes the same decision, this is all hindsight. I was surprised with it actually. The safe bet to me to begin the season was to go with the vet you had signed to a FA contract.
Right, what i said was...
Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:51 am
Sorry, but starting Wilson over Flynn was a no-brainer. I can't see many coaches not making him the starter by the end of the 2012 season. His tools were just vastly superior.
and that was a response to the suggestion that he may have been a career backup with a different coach. Not with Flynn and Jackson "blocking" him.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:27 pm

Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:38 am

The point is that there was an entire training camp and 4 preseason games for them to figure out that Wilson was a far better option than Flynn. I don't see anything remarkable about that.
They had also paid a lot of money for Flynn to come in. A lot of organizations might have started him based on that alone.

I still to this day think the dropped TD by TO cost Flynn. It was a long pass, a perfect pass at that. If TO catches that? The two QBs have very similar stats that pre season, as I recall. Full disclosure, when we started out 2 and 2? I was pissed that they started Russ. My thoughts were, let him play, or don't start him.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:31 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:27 pm
Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:38 am

They had also paid a lot of money for Flynn to come in. A lot of organizations might have started him based on that alone.
And if they go with Flynn to open the season how long do you think he lasts as starter? He couldn't win (or keep) a starting job with 4 other teams after 2012 and was out of the league a year later. But somehow he was going to keep Wilson on the bench for years and years.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:17 pm

Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:31 pm

And if they go with Flynn to open the season how long do you think he lasts as starter? He couldn't win (or keep) a starting job with 4 other teams after 2012 and was out of the league a year later. But somehow he was going to keep Wilson on the bench for years and years.
No argument there, just saying that starting Russell game one was no small thing, and ended up being hands down the best move they could have made. Again, I didn't agree with the kid gloves they treated him with at first. The 2 and 2 start CERTAINLY should have been 4 and 0. The losses at AZ and Stl were COMPLETELY avoidable if they actually even TRY to play offense. And, as much as many like to poo poo that? A 4 and 0 start would have gotten us home field and we don't lose at Atlanta.

maoling

Post by maoling » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:45 pm

I'm not wishing this or anything, but I could see the same thing happening to Russell in Denver as what happened in Cincy to Ken Griffey Jr.

To me it is spooky similar:

Phenom out the gate, exceptional player, beloved in his adopted city, walks on water, his shit doesn't stink.

A good run, playoffs (and for RW, a SB win!) and thrills for his adoring fans. Everyone wears his jersey.

But he eventually grows weary of the town and team that has kissed his ass since he was a rookie, so he gets pouty, wants a trade and his team obliges him.

Be careful what you wished for Russell, because I think Senior even told Junior once that no team is going to ever again be like your first team. I could see the rest of RW's career peppered with injuries, declining production, upsets and a lack of success. It wouldn't shock me, and it wouldn't be the first time.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:05 pm

maoling wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:45 pm
I'm not wishing this or anything, but I could see the same thing happening to Russell in Denver as what happened in Cincy to Ken Griffey Jr.

To me it is spooky similar:

Phenom out the gate, exceptional player, beloved in his adopted city, walks on water, his shit doesn't stink.

A good run, playoffs (and for RW, a SB win!) and thrills for his adoring fans. Everyone wears his jersey.

But he eventually grows weary of the town and team that has kissed his ass since he was a rookie, so he gets pouty, wants a trade and his team obliges him.

Be careful what you wished for Russell, because I think Senior even told Junior once that no team is going to ever again be like your first team. I could see the rest of RW's career peppered with injuries, declining production, upsets and a lack of success. It wouldn't shock me, and it wouldn't be the first time.
And Ciara leaves him for Maoling! :)
dt

Lamda

Post by Lamda » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:36 pm

maoling wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:45 pm
I agree - RW hasn't been the same QB the last year or two - maybe that was due to not wanting to be here or not time will tell. I think he starts to get the injury bug and just doesn't take them to the SB - he will keep them in it and get them to the playoffs like he did for us but that will be as far as Denver goes. People are saying we got fleeced in this but I think it ends up being a wash especially if we trade what we got for DW. If we keep them all then we could easily end up winning this trade.