Wilson heading to the Broncos

Pharmabro

Re: Wilson heading to the Broncos

Post by Pharmabro » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:53 am

I feel like the Tom Hanks Wilson meme. Wilson? Wilson. Wilson. WILSON!

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:56 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:51 am
Sorry, but starting Wilson over Flynn was a no-brainer. I can't see many coaches not making him the starter by the end of the 2012 season. His tools were just vastly superior.
Name another 3rd round QB that has started from Day 1 in the last 10 years. Let alone after the team just signed a high priced FA QB. It wasn't a no brainer at all.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:59 am

SeattleAddict wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:31 am
Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:21 am
Captain 97 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:45 pm
I think with a different coach its entirely possible that Russell Wilson would have been a career backup, Richard Sherman would have been out of the league in a few years and Marshawn Lynch would have faded into oblivion.
No way, possibly, and i doubt it.
I think MOST coaches in the NFL would've started Matt Flynn that first year, simply because of the cost. If he played well, Russ may not have got in, so that's plausible.

Not sure why Richard Sherman would have been out of the league. He played at a very high level from the beginning, and didn't go completely nuts until recently.

Lynch had fallen out of favor in Buffalo, so if he wasn't traded to the Seahawks, he very likely would've faded into oblivion.

Captain actually makes a good point - a lot of players' careers are made or lost by just getting a chance (or not). There are so many coaches out there that bench somebody because of a personal rift, or start them because of their salary or whatever reason, and a player's success can very much hinge on which coach he's paired with.
Sherman broke the prototypical mold for a Corner. Corners that big were unheard of at that time. Even Harbaugh who was his college coach didn't think Sherman could play corner in the NFL. Its quite possible that if Pete hadn't drafted him he would have gone undrafted.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:12 am

auroraave wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:09 am
I don't think there is a strong correlation between PC being HC and the success.
:lol:

Right. I'm sure Pats fans are all saying the same thing about Billichick. "he's had draft whiffs - therefore he SUCKS!" You hate PC so much you refuse to give any credit and it completely blinds you - every position you take on here begins and ends with "PC sucks." I have never in my life heard someone look at a team with an unprecedented run of success, including two SB appearances, complete domination of their division for nearly ten years, finish last ONCE in 11 seasons, miss the playoffs twice, draft multiple perennial all-pro players, build one of the greatest defenses in the modern era of football, and come to that conclusion. That's utterly absurd. You want one scapegoat to target all your anger and disappointment at - so you pin every negative on him. What's the success related to? Can't be JS - you hate him too, right? Can't be the coordinators, you hated all of them too, right? So, what was it? All Wilson? Can't be him because "the defense carried us to those Superbowls", right? Was it all just sheer luck?

C'mon dude. That's absolutely ridiculous.
Have you heard of the phrase "better to be lucky than good" How do those 70 yo balls taste? lol
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:09 am

Captain 97 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:56 am
Sorry, but starting Wilson over Flynn was a no-brainer. I can't see many coaches not making him the starter by the end of the 2012 season. His tools were just vastly superior.
Name another 3rd round QB that has started from Day 1 in the last 10 years. Let alone after the team just signed a high priced FA QB. It wasn't a no brainer at all.
It was for any coach that wanted to win more games.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:31 am

D-train wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:12 am
How do those 70 yo balls taste? lol
Oddly enough, a lot like your mom's puzzy.

(sorry that just seemed like the proper response to the question haha)

trharder

Post by trharder » Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:53 am

D-train wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:08 pm
I don't think there is a strong correlation between PC being HC and the success.
They drafted RW, Sherm, Kam, ET, Wags and traded for the Beast. Jimmy Lake could have coached that group to a SB win. What is PC good at?
Yeah, no. wrong.
There was an entire rebuild and culture shift when Pete got to Seattle. Broke the record for transactions.
Fired T. J. Doushmandzadeh in training camp, for example. Played the young guys.
I was going to a lot of games back then. I remember a Mora game where the team flat out quit after halftime.
I remember a first year Pete game where we beat San Diego with basically zero offense. It was obvious from that game
things were going to be different. The transformation was complete with the Beast Quake run. RW put them over the top.

That was a different time and maybe this effort to recapture the lightning again will fail. Maybe the game has passed him by,
but Pete is responsible for turning the Seahawks into a respected organization.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:42 am

Captain 97 wrote:
How about even drafting RW in the first place, using a 3rd round pick on him was panned around the league as a wasted pick on a backup QB. One of the major reasons that draft was panned overall

And while we are on the topic, how about Marshawn Lynch. PC pressed JS for a year to go get him.

You guys act like the players fell out of trees, Pete rolled over in bed and coached them to a SB. LoL

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:02 am

Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:09 am
Captain 97 wrote:
It was for any coach that wanted to win more games.
Absolutely, RW was there for three rounds

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:42 am

So this is a dicked up move.

Russ Wilson had 26M in bonuses left that we paid on 2022's cap. So he he was slated for 24M in base this year and 27 million in 2023 bonus spread over would have been 37 and 40 million respectively. However, we pay the 26 M in 2022 and the players they sent us cost about 11-/+M so no cap relief at all. So the Broncos get a top 5 QB at Jimmy G money.