Charles Cross

Donn Beach

Re: Charles Cross

Post by Donn Beach » Sun May 01, 2022 10:07 pm

Agree with ddraig, it's not the same situation as Wagner. You can't just assume Cross is ready to start opening day, at a difficult position particularly when his run blocking skills need to be coached up. Its called competition, if brown wants to compete with the rookie why not? It would come down to the money, but if Brown wants another paycheck at 37 years old

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 01, 2022 10:37 pm

Zero about not being able to run block. Just a bunch of dopes thinking that because he pass blocked more than run blocked he sucks at run blocking. Guys start as rookies day one all the time. We just aren't used to it because of all the horrid drafts and no top 10 picks between 2012-2020.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 01, 2022 10:40 pm

Here is their cap space. Probably would have to use more than half of it to sign Brown. Doubt they do that for an insurance policy.

Total Cap Liabilities: $224,211,193Top 51: $159,622,636Team Cap Space: $13,037,002
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon May 02, 2022 12:05 am

D-train wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 10:37 pm
Zero about not being able to run block. Just a bunch of dopes thinking that because he pass blocked more than run blocked he sucks at run blocking. Guys start as rookies day one all the time. We just aren't used to it because of all the horrid drafts and no top 10 picks between 2012-2020.
No, I didn't say he would suck at run blocking, I said he would have to be coached up to NFL standards. Line play is different. Now whether that can be achieved before the season starts I have no idea. But it's a fact it's not the same game. It's a NFL position that is very different from college. You always poo poo this kind of stuff, like Brash having any issues pitching at a ML level. But the fact is this is a huge leap for Cross going to the pros. Again, I don't know what's involved, but I don't think it's a given he is ready to be the opening day starter at tackle.

Here's an interesting look at this seasons tackle class. He has Cross as the number one, and that's based on his pass blocking abilities. Pass blocking is the more difficult, and the more needed. It's an odd take on Cross, his weakness is a lack of aggression, though he says that isn't really a weakness.
.For every Trent Williams, Tyron Smith, and Ronnie Stanley — the guys who immediately and consistently define their offenses with their excellence — there’s a Jake Matthews, Nate Solder, or Luke Joeckel (players who have great moments, but tread water more than anything else), and there’s certainly at least one Ereck Flowers, Ja’Wuan James, or Andrew Thomas (the players who wind up making you wonder what everybody in the room was thinking).

This is not to specifically malign the players who do not succeed at the NFL level, despite having what some shot-caller in some front office determined to be first-round talent. It’s more to say that being a great left or right tackle in the pros is really, really hard to do.
https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/list ... 1-tackles/
Last edited by Donn Beach on Mon May 02, 2022 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon May 02, 2022 12:14 am

D-train wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 10:40 pm
Here is their cap space. Probably would have to use more than half of it to sign Brown. Doubt they do that for an insurance policy.

Total Cap Liabilities: $224,211,193Top 51: $159,622,636Team Cap Space: $13,037,002
They be paying him reserve level tackle money, no idea how that work with cap, they are going to need depth, if you want to call that insurance. At 37 years and a so so season last year I doubt Brown gets a heck of a lot of interest on the general market

I doubt it happen. I am just saying...one, you can't just say it's a given Cross is the opening day starter. And two, it's not Wagner. Wagner was released, Brown was paid in full.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed May 04, 2022 7:16 am

Hawks had been in touch with Brown. I have 100% confidence in Cross, but I do think it could be cool to have Brown on the roster if possible, they are really young at tackle at this point.
.Speaking with reporters during their annual pre-draft press conference on Thursday, coach Pete Carroll kept the door open for Brown to return for a fifth season in Seattle, indicating the franchise remains in touch with the unrestricted free agent.

"We have not moved on from that. We're still talking," Carroll replied.

Brown, who will turn 37 in August, has drawn minimal interest since free agency opened in mid-March. The Panthers were previously linked to the four-time Pro Bowler on March 20, though no visit between the player and team was reported and nothing new has developed on that front since. Aside from the Seahawks, no other teams have been connected to him.
Brown on accepting a one year deal to return to the Hawks, so I guess he is open to it
.“I’m not opposed to it,” the four-time Pro Bowl and 2012 All-Pro selection said last week at the end of his 14th season in the league, the last 4 1/2 with Seattle.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Wed May 04, 2022 9:28 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 7:16 am
Hawks had been in touch with Brown. I have 100% confidence in Cross, but I do think it could be cool to have Brown on the roster if possible, they are really young at tackle at this point.
.Speaking with reporters during their annual pre-draft press conference on Thursday, coach Pete Carroll kept the door open for Brown to return for a fifth season in Seattle, indicating the franchise remains in touch with the unrestricted free agent.

"We have not moved on from that. We're still talking," Carroll replied.

Brown, who will turn 37 in August, has drawn minimal interest since free agency opened in mid-March. The Panthers were previously linked to the four-time Pro Bowler on March 20, though no visit between the player and team was reported and nothing new has developed on that front since. Aside from the Seahawks, no other teams have been connected to him.
Brown on accepting a one year deal to return to the Hawks, so I guess he is open to it
.“I’m not opposed to it,” the four-time Pro Bowl and 2012 All-Pro selection said last week at the end of his 14th season in the league, the last 4 1/2 with Seattle.
Yeah, I think its 50/50 at this point. Both sides are going to have to give a little ground. But I'd absolutely love to have Brown back. I'd even love to grab him on a 2-year deal. Shell wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 04, 2022 2:17 pm

They worked it out with Geno but he was more critical imo.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed May 04, 2022 2:48 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:31 pm
ddraig wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:09 pm

Maybe, but depending on the money, it could be cheap insurance and a great training opportunity.
That's the kicker, right? If he was willing to sign for cheap, then he wouldn't still be a free agent.

I'd also like an experienced veteran in the group to give those in-game, real-time adjustments to the rookies when they fk up, but after this draft I think Duane has gone the way of Bobby, unfortunately.
Yep, no reason they trade Russ and cut Bobby and then re-sign a LT that is in the decline. Sorry, I know the players love Duane Brown, but I am not sure that the organizations that have had to deal with him feel the same. The guy is going to want more money, and he simply isn't worth it. Not with two young guys that we just drafted that need to see the field.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Wed May 04, 2022 6:49 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 2:48 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:31 pm
ddraig wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:09 pm

Maybe, but depending on the money, it could be cheap insurance and a great training opportunity.
That's the kicker, right? If he was willing to sign for cheap, then he wouldn't still be a free agent.

I'd also like an experienced veteran in the group to give those in-game, real-time adjustments to the rookies when they fk up, but after this draft I think Duane has gone the way of Bobby, unfortunately.
Yep, no reason they trade Russ and cut Bobby and then re-sign a LT that is in the decline. Sorry, I know the players love Duane Brown, but I am not sure that the organizations that have had to deal with him feel the same. The guy is going to want more money, and he simply isn't worth it. Not with two young guys that we just drafted that need to see the field.
So you think he's gone?