Shelby Harris
Drew Lock
2023 1st
2023 2nd
dt

D-train

Re: Current status of the RW trade

Post by D-train » Sun May 01, 2022 2:45 pm

More draft grades. If Lock ends up being better than any QBs in this draft. Quite likely. A lot of these guys are going to look pretty stupid.
By Sean Quinton
Seattle Times assistant sports editor
The only thing surprising about the Seahawks’ 2022 draft, was the lack of surprising picks. The Seahawks shocked just about everyone by going chalky with their draft picks, filling positions of need and taking what many deemed good value selections.

Unlike past years when media members had to scramble to learn about an obscure pick the Seahawks had reached for, Pete Carroll and John Schneider took familiar names.

That’s not to say the familiar names are always best, as the Seahawks have unearthed many hidden gems in past drafts. But for this year anyway, Seattle’s draft class is loaded with names the national media knows — and loves.

Those names include OT Charles Cross, a universally beloved pass-blocker taken at No. 9, and a local OT in WSU’s Abe Lucas. It also includes a pair of CBs, Coby Bryant and Tariq Woolen, as Seattle loaded up on Day Three defenders.

Perhaps the biggest name is also the most polarizing among media members. Kenneth Walker III was the best running back in college football last season, but some pundits criticized Seattle for prioritizing RB over other needed positions — including QB.

Aside from RB value, pundits seemed to love Seattle’s draft. Here’s what media members had to say about the Seahawks’ 2022 draft class.

The Seahawks didn’t try to do too much in the NFL draft, and that could be just what they need
Seahawks take WR Dareke Young with the 233rd pick in the 2022 NFL draft
More

The Ringer’s Benjamin Solak says the Seahawks drafted ‘objectively good players’

Fox Sports’ Colin Cowherd and Brock Huard shared love for Seattle’s class. ‘Nothing cute.’

The Ringer’s Danny Kelly gives Seahawks a ‘B+’ for pick of Charles Cross
I was always a little dubious when people connected Cross to the run-heavy Seahawks because the former Mississippi State standout spent most of his time last year pass-blocking in Mike Leach’s Air Raid offense. Seattle is betting that they can coach him up as a run blocker, I’m sure (and he did flash plenty of potential there), but I’m definitely not going to criticize them for taking the best pass-blocking offensive tackle in this class. Cross’s pass-blocking chops will be a boon for the team’s Russell Wilson replacement, whoever that ends up being.

CBS Sports’ Pete Prisco give Seahawks a ‘B’ for Cross pick
They had a glaring hole at left tackle, so they had to get a left tackle. With the run on them, they end up with a player who is good in pass protection but needs work in the run game. If Seattle wants to run it better, they picked the wrong tackle. But he is good at protecting the quarterback.

ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. says Seahawks’ Day Two picks were head-scratchers
With Malik Willis still on the board at No. 40, the Seahawks passed twice on taking my top-ranked quarterback in this class. Do they really expect Drew Lock and Geno Smith to play anywhere close to above-average football this season? I don’t get it.

Mafe has been a little overrated — he’s No. 53 on my Big Board — because he doesn’t have many pass-rush moves and needs to get better against the run. Walker is a good running back, but did Seattle really need one this high? I loved the Charles Cross pick on Day 1, but these are head-scratchers.

The Athletic’s Sheil Kapadia is not a fan of Kenneth Walker III selection
It’s impossible to believe that spending a high second-round pick on another running back is an optimal use of their resources.

NBC NFL analyst Chris Simms says Walker III is “my favorite RB in the draft”

ESPN’s Brady Henderson evaluates pick of Kenneth Walker III
Clearly, they don’t feel like quarterback is as big of a need as observers do and/or they don’t like any of the QBs they’ve had chances to take so far. But running back was a bigger need than you might realize given Rashaad Penny’s long injury history and the uncertainty with Chris Carson coming off neck surgery. Taking a running back this early would seem to suggest some concern on Seattle’s part about Carson coming back to full strength.

WynnBet’s Joe Fann gives Seahawks an ‘A+’ overall

NFL analyst Samuel Gold says CB Coby Bryant was a ‘great pick’

NFL draft analyst Walter Cherepinsky gives Tariq Woolen pick an ‘A+’
This is a classic fifth-round cornerback pick by the Seahawks. Tariq Woolen is tall and athletic like other corners Seattle has drafted. Woolen would’ve been taken much earlier if it weren’t for health worries, but this is incredible value that fills a need. I love this selection.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun May 01, 2022 2:46 pm

Don't think Dareke Young was part of that but i definitely feel like we will end up getting the most value out of this trade.
Round 7: No. 233 (from KC via MIN) – Dareke Young, WR, Lenoir-Rhyne
Last edited by Sibelius Hindemith on Sun May 01, 2022 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 01, 2022 2:47 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 2:46 pm
Don't think Dareke Young was part of that but i definitely feel like we will end up getting the most value out of this trade.
That's what I initially thought as well but he was part of the 13 spot trade down which netted the extra pick which was used to take him.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun May 01, 2022 2:48 pm

Oh - good catch then.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 01, 2022 2:49 pm

I wonder if their was any thought as to who to take 40th and 41st or they just flipped a coin and Mafe won the coin toss over Walker.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 01, 2022 2:49 pm

Sun May 01, 2022 2:48 pm
Oh - good catch then.
Hopefully he will be doing the same!
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun May 01, 2022 2:56 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 2:49 pm
Oh - good catch then.
:) didn't even realize he was a WR.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 01, 2022 3:01 pm

Sun May 01, 2022 2:56 pm
D-train wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 2:49 pm
Oh - good catch then.
:) didn't even realize he was a WR.
Still can't believe we drafted a guy out of a school called Rhyne Lenoir. He was one of about 700 dudes on campus. lol
Lenoir-Rhyne University has a total undergraduate enrollment of 1,783 (fall 2020), with a gender distribution of 41% male students and 59% female students.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 01, 2022 3:14 pm

USA Today gives us an A
The Seahawks started the Pete Carroll and John Schneider era in 2010 by hitting repeatedly on undervalued assets. Over the last half-decade, that same brain trust has drafted horribly by betting over and over on overvalued prospects. With a rebuild nigh, Seattle decided to stop getting cute, and went back to drafting good players who can help their team. Novel concept.

No Seahawks position group has been more ill-served over the last few years in an evaluative sense than the offensive line, so it’s surprising that Seattle got the best pass-protecting left tackle (Charles Cross) and the best pass-protecting right tackle (Abraham Lucas) in the same draft. Kenneth Walker III isn’t a headbanger in the Marshawn Lynch mold, but he’s a versatile slasher with big play potential, and Boye Mafe brings former Seahawks star Michael Bennett to mind with his get-off and gap versatility.

The Seahawks also came into this draft light on cornerbacks, and they addressed that with two guys who are bigger defenders, used to playing press. Coby Bryant, the “other” Cincinnati cornerback, won the Jim Thorpe Award as the nation’s top defensive back in 2021, and Tariq Woolen is a former receiver with athletic traits all over the place who was taken in the fifth round. A similar story to Richard Sherman’s? We’ll have to wait and see, but as much as Carroll and Schneider have earned no equity with their recent drafts, there’s not much to criticize here.
dt