Current status of the RW trade

douche

Re: Current status of the RW trade

Post by douche » Tue May 03, 2022 4:04 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:28 pm
I think Denver fucked up, to be perfectly honest with you.
So do I.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Tue May 03, 2022 6:39 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:41 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 5:28 am
they had 4 years in a row where they had top 10 picks. They got Goff, who eventually netted them Stafford, but also Aaron Donald, who is so good he instantly makes almost any defense formidable. Add to that Cooper Kupp, Cam Akers, Tavon Austin, Alec Ogletree, Todd Gurley, and their entire O-Line. Nearly everybody they drafted ended up on the team, and while they weren't necessarily stars, that is the bulk of their roster.
2013 - 8th overall pick Tayvon Austin He was good in 2016 when the won four games but only had 13 catches when the won the division in 2017. Went to Dallas in 2018
2014 - 2nd overall pick The previously mentioned Robinson. Last season with them was 2016 when they went 4-12
2015 - 10th pick Gurley. Ok here you go but he left after the 2019 season
2016 - 1st overall Goff. Maybe you can say they couldn't have got Stafford without him? LOL

None of the four contributed to the SB Champion team.
I didn't say they did - but those picks have a snowball effect that's too involved to get the actual details on, but basically, you draft 8 guys that end up on the team, that's 8 spots you don't have to fill next year. If you draft 8 guys and 3 make the team, you still need to fill those 5 spots, meaning the next draft you have to use your picks or sign free agents. You can make trades because you have resources/replacements. Basically, you only need to hope for upgrades, rather than filling holes.

The part you left out is their entire starting O-Line of Noteboom,Allen, Edwards, Evans and Havenstein were draft picks in like a 3-4 year span. Not to mention Kupp, the Goff-for-Stafford deal, Kam Akers and Tyler Higbee ALL draft picks. On Defense, Donald would be enough, but also Gaines, Rapp, Jones, and Fuller were draft picks. That's 2/3 of the starting lineup directly from the draft. When you have a basis, you can make a few specific moves for veterans like Ramsey, ODB and Miller. But that base was the draft, and a lot of that was high draft picks gained by sucking for several years.

They hit the jackpot with the Donald and Kupp picks, and that really leveraged a lot. What they have done better than anybody is manage the salary cap. I honestly don't get how they do it, but it's a way more aggressive approach than the Seahawks, and it seems to work.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue May 03, 2022 7:18 pm

douche wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 4:04 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:28 pm
I think Denver fucked up, to be perfectly honest with you.
So do I.
And I don't think that because I don't think RW is a good QB anymore. I think he is easily still top 10, and the way that man's ego works, his down season will probably bring out the old Russ. BUT, is he going to be the guy rushing for 600 yards anymore? I don't think so. I think he is now limited, as he doesn't throw well over the middle, so the only options from inside the pocket are the deep middle and the hash marks. When he rolls out, I don't think he is the threat he used to be as he isn't going to kill you with his legs.

The guy Denver got? Just might be the guy we saw against the Rams in the playoffs last year. I challenge you to think of a playoff game at home where a QB played worse. Dave Krieg against the Raiders in a WC game? And we won. And I am not even sure he was worse, just remember the offense relying on the ground game, I think even Dan Doornick got in the mix.

He struggled most of the year last year, and not just post injury. Take the first six quarters away, and when was he good? He was terrible in the second half in the loss to the Titans, pretty pedestrian the entire game in the loss to the Vikings, threw for 149 yards in a win over the 49ers and was "Regular Russ against the Rams" before he got hurt. Not having to watch Russ drop back and immediately look at the ground 75% of all passing snaps against the Rams is one blessing from this trade, but he has not been all that good since about week 7 or so of 2020. What makes everyone think the Broncos are getting an MVP candidate is beyond me.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue May 03, 2022 7:21 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 6:39 pm

The part you left out is their entire starting O-Line of Noteboom,Allen, Edwards, Evans and Havenstein were draft picks in like a 3-4 year span. Not to mention Kupp, the Goff-for-Stafford deal, Kam Akers and Tyler Higbee ALL draft picks. On Defense, Donald would be enough, but also Gaines, Rapp, Jones, and Fuller were draft picks. That's 2/3 of the starting lineup directly from the draft. When you have a basis, you can make a few specific moves for veterans like Ramsey, ODB and Miller. But that base was the draft, and a lot of that was high draft picks gained by sucking for several years.

They hit the jackpot with the Donald and Kupp picks, and that really leveraged a lot. What they have done better than anybody is manage the salary cap. I honestly don't get how they do it, but it's a way more aggressive approach than the Seahawks, and it seems to work.
Yes, but AA made it sound like they sucked so loaded up on talent pre McVey with high draft picks. The excuses made for this Organizations poor drafts are crazy. Have we done things right? Sure, but a lack of effort in FA and some blown draft picks are why we went from the youngest and most talented team to 7 and 10 in what, five seasons?

douche

Post by douche » Tue May 03, 2022 8:21 pm

Personally, I think DEN messed up by giving up so much to get RW. That, and his massive contract they'll soon be saddled with.

Gametime

Post by Gametime » Fri May 06, 2022 4:28 pm

Until we see Cross and Mafe play it’s hard to say in my opinion.

Mafe could be a waste like Collier. Or more of a solid to good like Taylor. That’s why I’m waiting.

A bunch of filler players isn’t a win in my opinion. But, there is absolutely a way we win this trade. I’m just waiting.

It will be interesting to say the least. :)

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 06, 2022 4:30 pm

Gametime wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 4:28 pm
Until we see Cross and Mafe play it’s hard to say in my opinion.

Mafe could be a waste like Collier. Or more of a solid to good like Taylor. That’s why I’m waiting.

A bunch of filler players isn’t a win in my opinion. But, there is absolutely a way we win this trade. I’m just waiting.

It will be interesting to say the least. :)
Mafe was probably my least fav pick. Just seems like a guy that will be one dimensional and underwhelming with like 3 sacks or something and then slowly fade away.....
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 06, 2022 4:50 pm

On second thought, I love him!!! LOL
dt

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Fri May 06, 2022 4:50 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 4:30 pm

Mafe was probably my least fav pick. Just seems like a guy that will be one dimensional and underwhelming with like 3 sacks or something and then slowly fade away.....
He could be, but there are a couple of differences from our past edge picks: 1) he was selected right where the consensus thought he should be and 2) he's on of those "new-to-football with great athleticism" types that hasn't reached his potential yet. Compare this with Collier, who never looked good OR had great upside, and was picked WAY too high (if he was a fifth round pick, we'd probably call him a success).

I don't know that he's the double digit sack guy we really need, but as long as he stays healthy I don't think he will be a bust. Other than Ojabo, there wasn't really anybody out there that had the double-digit sack potential, and I think the fanbase would've lost their minds if the Seahawks took another injured player with their second pick.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 06, 2022 4:57 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 4:50 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 4:30 pm

He could be, but there are a couple of differences from our past edge picks: 1) he was selected right where the consensus thought he should be and 2) he's on of those "new-to-football with great athleticism" types that hasn't reached his potential yet. Compare this with Collier, who never looked good OR had great upside, and was picked WAY too high (if he was a fifth round pick, we'd probably call him a success).

I don't know that he's the double digit sack guy we really need, but as long as he stays healthy I don't think he will be a bust. Other than Ojabo, there wasn't really anybody out there that had the double-digit sack potential, and I think the fanbase would've lost their minds if the Seahawks took another injured player with their second pick.
Makes sense. Thanks.
dt