Re: well, this draft class is going to suck

Post by D-train » Wed May 04, 2022 12:23 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:04 am
Michael K. wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 7:28 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 6:23 pm
I'll be watching a lot more Kentucky and Miami games this year, thats for sure.
Was it you that posted the video of the kid from Kentucky? Yeah, my eyes will be on him for sure. I realize those were highlights, but that looked like young Russ Wilson, only taller!
Yeah it was me. He reminds me so much of Russell too. The only thing I'd say he really needs to work on this season is cutting down his turnovers. I like him and Tyler Van Dyke out of Miami possibly for Seattle next season. Both have really good arms and could be going off the board after Stroud and Young. Van Dyke would be my back up option in case we missed out on Levis.

There's even a scenario where we could have such a high pick that we wind up selecting DE Will Anderson out of Alabama with our first pick and go after Levis or Van Dyke with our second 1st rounder.

Despite whatever Seattle and Denver's records ends up being, we'll have more than enough ammo to grab a good QB in this next draft. If Seattle and Denver wind up with one Top 10 and one Top 15 pick combined, we can practically choose whichever good QB we want, in my opinion.

Van Dyke highlight reel:
https://youtu.be/XKv6MLvNAbU
Was going to say, PC isn't going to like all those picks. Not mention he will be gone by the time we pick so.....
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 04, 2022 12:25 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 4:43 am
Believe that was a forum rumor, Jody is not interfering in personel decisions

Again, in terms of running the draft. Google Seahawk draft philosophy or something like that, it's JS that comes up, not Pete Carroll. But the fact is, they are in agreement on personel decisions, it's a consensus approach
."That's something that I could go on for hours about, " he replied as Doug and Rob asked him to talk about the Seahawks' general philosophy when it comes to drafting, "but the basic premise of our philosophy is - we preach to our staff - and not to get too philosophical with you but in society today - the easiest thing to do is to talk about what people can't do. We just think that's the easiest thing to do. The hardest thing to do is to find out what a guy's strengths are: what do you think the guy does well, tell us how you think he would fit, and tell us how you think he could accentuate those strengths once he's here, and develop those strengths."
Nobody is privy to one on one Jody PC private conversations. Do you think someone is sitting with them transcribing them and posting them on the internet so you can google them???? :lol:
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed May 04, 2022 1:30 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 4:43 am
Believe that was a forum rumor, Jody is not interfering in personel decisions

Again, in terms of running the draft. Google Seahawk draft philosophy or something like that, it's JS that comes up, not Pete Carroll. But the fact is, they are in agreement on personel decisions, it's a consensus approach
."That's something that I could go on for hours about, " he replied as Doug and Rob asked him to talk about the Seahawks' general philosophy when it comes to drafting, "but the basic premise of our philosophy is - we preach to our staff - and not to get too philosophical with you but in society today - the easiest thing to do is to talk about what people can't do. We just think that's the easiest thing to do. The hardest thing to do is to find out what a guy's strengths are: what do you think the guy does well, tell us how you think he would fit, and tell us how you think he could accentuate those strengths once he's here, and develop those strengths."
Again, please, look at an org chart. JS answer to PC. Jody’s brother made it that way, so with Jody getting involved, what is more likely that changed?

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed May 04, 2022 4:03 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 1:30 pm

Again, please, look at an org chart. JS answer to PC. Jody’s brother made it that way, so with Jody getting involved, what is more likely that changed?
I think Jody "getting involved" is more just for show. Paul Allen was respected as a good owner that was involved, but didn't get in the way of the football people. Jody had developed a reputation as not being involved at all, and the implication was that she didn't care.

Secondarily, a losing season and trading away the franchise QB puts a spotlight on the whole thing and maybe she wants to make sure they're not sitting around a table with a bottle of booze, throwing darts at random names to draft. Hmmm I typed that to be a smartass, but now I wonder if that's how we got Collier and Penny.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed May 04, 2022 4:21 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 4:03 pm
Michael K. wrote:

I think Jody "getting involved" is more just for show. Paul Allen was respected as a good owner that was involved, but didn't get in the way of the football people. Jody had developed a reputation as not being involved at all, and the implication was that she didn't care.

Secondarily, a losing season and trading away the franchise QB puts a spotlight on the whole thing and maybe she wants to make sure they're not sitting around a table with a bottle of booze, throwing darts at random names to draft. Hmmm I typed that to be a smartass, but now I wonder if that's how we got Collier and Penny.
If things hadn’t changed I might feel the same way. But I don’t think this organization changed the way they draft just because. And, again, the buck stops with Pete. Every head scratching ridiculous decision that was made had his approval, that is how it works when you are the top of the food chain. There is nothing saying these draft picks will all pan out, it for the first time in a very long time there is very little second guessing. A few that think they took RB too early and should have taken a QB, but not much else.

I can’t remember the last time I was this happy about our first three or four rounds.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 04, 2022 4:23 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 4:03 pm
Michael K. wrote:

I wish the would have done that! 99% chance they would have made a better pick!
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Wed May 04, 2022 5:45 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:23 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:04 am
Michael K. wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 7:28 pm

Was it you that posted the video of the kid from Kentucky? Yeah, my eyes will be on him for sure. I realize those were highlights, but that looked like young Russ Wilson, only taller!
Yeah it was me. He reminds me so much of Russell too. The only thing I'd say he really needs to work on this season is cutting down his turnovers. I like him and Tyler Van Dyke out of Miami possibly for Seattle next season. Both have really good arms and could be going off the board after Stroud and Young. Van Dyke would be my back up option in case we missed out on Levis.

There's even a scenario where we could have such a high pick that we wind up selecting DE Will Anderson out of Alabama with our first pick and go after Levis or Van Dyke with our second 1st rounder.

Despite whatever Seattle and Denver's records ends up being, we'll have more than enough ammo to grab a good QB in this next draft. If Seattle and Denver wind up with one Top 10 and one Top 15 pick combined, we can practically choose whichever good QB we want, in my opinion.

Van Dyke highlight reel:
https://youtu.be/XKv6MLvNAbU
Was going to say, PC isn't going to like all those picks. Not mention he will be gone by the time we pick so.....
I'm not sure how much longer Pete will be here, but I can't see him coaching much longer than 3 more years. Not unless they stumble upon another QB pedigree to that of Russell Wilson or Josh Allen. Will Levis has a lot of RW3's game to him, and he reminds me a lot of Russ, but do you know who who else he reminds me of even more? Allen! He's not built like Allen is. Hell nobody is, Josh was practically made in a factory perfectly. But the way Levis plays with his hair on fire, so reminds me of Josh Allen. I will take that every Sunday of the week.

I'd like to see the OL gel as a unit and the running game show some signs of progress going into '23. I'd also like to see the defense get after it and see how effective our 3-4 is against the league. We can worry about draft position once the season is over. I will say this, we are the ONLY team in the League who has 4 1st's and 4 2nd's in the next three years of the draft. So its highly possible that we can position ourselves just about anywhere in the draft, to get OUR guys, as long as we have a trade partner.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu May 05, 2022 3:06 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:30 am
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 5:38 am
Here is the rumor
https://clutchpoints.com/seahawks-rumor ... rroll/amp/
I think Schneider outlasts Carroll. And wasn't it John's decision to hire Pete from USC after the scandall? I'm not sure who my next hire who would, but I'm really curious as to how much further Pete intends to go. I've got the +/- at 3 years.
Pete was hired before John was

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Thu May 05, 2022 4:29 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 3:06 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:30 am
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 5:38 am
Here is the rumor
https://clutchpoints.com/seahawks-rumor ... rroll/amp/
I think Schneider outlasts Carroll. And wasn't it John's decision to hire Pete from USC after the scandall? I'm not sure who my next hire who would, but I'm really curious as to how much further Pete intends to go. I've got the +/- at 3 years.
Pete was hired before John was
Thats right, Rare nowadays. You don't see that anymore. Especially a relationship that lasts this long.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu May 05, 2022 7:25 am

I'd call it totally unique. Yeah Pete has final say, but it's John that's the personal director. What's missed is Pete trusting John to do his job, scout talent. Pete isn't telling John who to draft, he is trusting John to do his job, find talent.
. "That's why they work so good together is because Pete may have the final say, but at the end of the day, he's going to trust John and know that [Schneider has] obviously ... done the legwork on guys when it comes to the draft and free agency," said Dan Morgan, who was Seattle's pro personnel director before becoming the Bills' director of player personnel in 2018. "It's just kind of throwing the egos to the side and trusting who you work with."
Posted this before, interesting look at the relationship

https://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seaha ... atform=amp