well, this draft class is going to suck

SeattleAddict

Re: well, this draft class is going to suck

Post by SeattleAddict » Tue May 03, 2022 1:06 am

Michael K. wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 9:29 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 5:32 pm
I feel like that has really unfairly reflected on the draft classes of the past few years. There were some shitty (cough Collier cough) picks to be sure, but if McDowell, Eskridge, Blair, Brown, Taylor, Penny, Procise and Richardson stayed healthy and played to potential, the drafts might look pretty good overall. We had bad luck that that good picks got hurt and the bad picks stayed healthy :lol:
What NFL team can't use these if scenarios? The problem is McDowell had other factors that lead many teams to pass twice, Eskridge, Procise and Richardson are frail guys, and I believe had injury issues prior. Taylor? Wasn't he hurt WHEN they drafted him? Blair is the only one that, to me, seems like a big surprise that he didn't stay healthy, but then you look at him and he is built like a #2 pencil and hits like a truck...so, duh! LOL
Prosise had an injury history, and Taylor obviously was drafted hurt, but I don't think the others did.

pretty much every team has a list of these things, but that's 7/10 of our top 2 picks of the last 5 years. It's like every. damn. time. For comparison, the top 2 picks of the previous 3 years - the highest of which was at #31 - all but Richardson stayed pretty healthy and ended up starters, with high career approximate values (in parentheses): Ifedi (85), Reed (89), Clark (105), Lockett (111), Richardson (64), Britt (98).

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Tue May 03, 2022 2:40 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 10:15 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 9:33 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 6:09 pm

Going to steal esteemed poster MichaelK's line here. "And if my Aunt had balls she would be my uncle. lol"
Haha, missed this before I added my response. This is one of my favorite lines. I had to come up with a cleaner version for coaching HS girls. So, I always say "if ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!" A couple of years ago they got me a giant jar of candy and nuts and wrote "Ifs and Butts" on one side and "Merry Christmas" on the other. Was pretty clever.

That said, it is a bottom line industry. And the bottom line is most of the drafts haven't panned out. Which is exactly how we went from the Super Bowl champion and youngest team in the NFL in 2013 to 7 and 10 and looking old and slow in 2021.
Schneider hasn't extended a 5th year option on any player they've draft since 2011.
have a good feeling that about to change in the next few years at least!

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue May 03, 2022 9:48 am

57reasons wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 2:40 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Michael K. wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 9:33 pm

Haha, missed this before I added my response. This is one of my favorite lines. I had to come up with a cleaner version for coaching HS girls. So, I always say "if ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!" A couple of years ago they got me a giant jar of candy and nuts and wrote "Ifs and Butts" on one side and "Merry Christmas" on the other. Was pretty clever.

That said, it is a bottom line industry. And the bottom line is most of the drafts haven't panned out. Which is exactly how we went from the Super Bowl champion and youngest team in the NFL in 2013 to 7 and 10 and looking old and slow in 2021.
Schneider hasn't extended a 5th year option on any player they've draft since 2011.
I would like to think so. I love the optimism of this recent draft. Just sitting here wondering, why now?

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue May 03, 2022 10:51 am

I heard one of the local radio hosts saying that Jody was actually in the war room with Pete and John during the draft. I wonder if that was to make sure Pete didn't try to overrule John and the others and go with someone we never heard of with an early pick. That's assuming he was responsible for those types of picks in the past.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 03, 2022 11:57 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:48 am
57reasons wrote:
Sexymarinersfan wrote:

I would like to think so. I love the optimism of this recent draft. Just sitting here wondering, why now?
Why did they change now? Guessing because Jody put them on the hot seat.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 03, 2022 11:59 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:51 am
I heard one of the local radio hosts saying that Jody was actually in the war room with Pete and John during the draft. I wonder if that was to make sure Pete didn't try to overrule John and the others and go with someone we never heard of with an early pick. That's assuming he was responsible for those types of picks in the past.
Yep, read that she was and Schneider literally commented that he loved having her in their. lol
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue May 03, 2022 12:01 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 11:57 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:48 am
57reasons wrote:

Why did they change now? Guessing because Jody put them on the hot seat.
Thats exactly my thoughts too bro. 100%!!!! Which is exactly why I thought the coaches and Schneider were more involved with this draft selection and not Pete as much.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue May 03, 2022 3:20 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:01 pm

Thats exactly my thoughts too bro. 100%!!!! Which is exactly why I thought the coaches and Schneider were more involved with this draft selection and not Pete as much.
I don't know if I would include coaches. I thought a BIG reason we stunk on the O Line forever is they seemed to believe Cable was some kind of Guru. Remember, he is the guy that said all College Lineman suck, so just give me big athletes and I will make the lineman. DT's, TEs, Power Forwards, what ever. Coaches should have input, but the personnel people are the ones that can separate. Think about it, you are the RB coach and a stud RB is out there, you might want him, regardless of if a stud LT or Edge Rusher is better for the team.

I have said for years that Pete has way too much power, and he is as emotional as a teenage girl. Not a good combination. Seems to me that there are signs pointing to some of that power being pulled back a bit this year, if the draft was in fact structured like that. Also eye opening that the GM was happy that the owner was in there. Maybe that was because he was tired of the VP of Football Ops, who also happens to be the HC, being the loudest voice in the room?

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue May 03, 2022 6:23 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:20 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:01 pm

I don't know if I would include coaches. I thought a BIG reason we stunk on the O Line forever is they seemed to believe Cable was some kind of Guru. Remember, he is the guy that said all College Lineman suck, so just give me big athletes and I will make the lineman. DT's, TEs, Power Forwards, what ever. Coaches should have input, but the personnel people are the ones that can separate. Think about it, you are the RB coach and a stud RB is out there, you might want him, regardless of if a stud LT or Edge Rusher is better for the team.

I have said for years that Pete has way too much power, and he is as emotional as a teenage girl. Not a good combination. Seems to me that there are signs pointing to some of that power being pulled back a bit this year, if the draft was in fact structured like that. Also eye opening that the GM was happy that the owner was in there. Maybe that was because he was tired of the VP of Football Ops, who also happens to be the HC, being the loudest voice in the room?
Yeah, Pete almost cost us Wilson without even knowing it. I'll admit, Bobby is a HOF, but Schneider knew how special Wilson was to not dick around and take a guy like that a full round earlier than when Pete wanted too. This draft has Schneider's finger prints all over it. Its very reminiscent of the 2012 draft all over again, minus the QB. It sets us up perfectly for next year. All that is left is to determine the draft positions, and the combine testing. I'll be watching a lot more Kentucky and Miami games this year, thats for sure.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue May 03, 2022 7:28 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 6:23 pm
I'll be watching a lot more Kentucky and Miami games this year, thats for sure.
Was it you that posted the video of the kid from Kentucky? Yeah, my eyes will be on him for sure. I realize those were highlights, but that looked like young Russ Wilson, only taller!