well, this draft class is going to suck

Sexymarinersfan

Re: well, this draft class is going to suck

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Mon May 02, 2022 7:02 pm

seattlefan-daBronx wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 6:50 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 5:37 pm
I just want to go on record to say that I absolutely hands down loved this draft. Seattle has set themselves up perfectly for next year to go in and grab the QB of the future. I'm expecting this team to have a Top 10 pick when the season is over. Couple that with another first rounder and two 2nd round picks, and you are able to position yourself just about anywhere you want to go and get the QB you desire to begin the rebuild. You will also be able to fill out the LB position as well as the interior of the OL in 2023.

My guy is Will Levis. I've been banging the drum for him before this last draft even started, and I'm banging it even harder now. Will Levis out of Ken-tuck-ee!!! Make it happen, and GO HAWKS!!

Highlight reel
https://youtu.be/Z3zasYd1J9I

Wow. Kid is awesome. He's big but mobile. Love the leaps over defenders. Jeez. I don't know the receiver "Robinson" but draft both together if you can. What a package those two would be.
Levis' WR Wan'Dale Robinson was taken in the 2nd round by the Giants this year. I had Robinson with a 4th round grade, and its why New York is getting blasted for it.
https://brobible.com/sports/article/new ... -robinson/

But yeah, he's off the board for us.
Last edited by Sexymarinersfan on Mon May 02, 2022 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Mon May 02, 2022 7:08 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 6:09 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 5:32 pm
I feel like that has really unfairly reflected on the draft classes of the past few years. There were some shitty (cough Collier cough) picks to be sure, but if McDowell, Eskridge, Blair, Brown, Taylor, Penny, Procise and Richardson stayed healthy and played to potential, the drafts might look pretty good overall. We had bad luck that that good picks got hurt and the bad picks stayed healthy :lol:
Going to steal esteemed poster MichaelK's line here. "And if my Aunt had balls she would be my uncle. lol"
Hey Mr East Coast, out here on the west si-i-ide that is racist. Or sexist. Or homophobic. Or something.

It's true, of course - my point is only that PC/JS have had some bad luck that made their picks look worse than they were. We're due for some good luck. Imagine Brown and Eskridge come back healthy and become studs. Or hell, Blair stays healthy. Or what if Collier pulls a Penny and gets 10 sacks in 5 games? Ok that last one is just crazy talk.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Mon May 02, 2022 7:14 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 7:08 pm
D-train wrote:
SeattleAddict wrote:
I feel like that has really unfairly reflected on the draft classes of the past few years. There were some shitty (cough Collier cough) picks to be sure, but if McDowell, Eskridge, Blair, Brown, Taylor, Penny, Procise and Richardson stayed healthy and played to potential, the drafts might look pretty good overall. We had bad luck that that good picks got hurt and the bad picks stayed healthy :lol:
Going to steal esteemed poster MichaelK's line here. "And if my Aunt had balls she would be my uncle. lol"
Hey Mr East Coast, out here on the west si-i-ide that is racist. Or sexist. Or homophobic. Or something.

It's true, of course - my point is only that PC/JS have had some bad luck that made their picks look worse than they were. We're due for some good luck. Imagine Brown and Eskridge come back healthy and become studs. Or hell, Blair stays healthy. Or what if Collier pulls a Penny and gets 10 sacks in 5 games? Ok that last one is just crazy talk.
If Collier records 10 sacks, I'll personally drive up to Oregon to pick you up for my next draft party lol.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon May 02, 2022 7:20 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
D-train wrote:
SeattleAddict wrote:

:) Absolutely, that aligns with my new positive thinking philosophy so all good!
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon May 02, 2022 7:21 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 7:14 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:
D-train wrote:

If Collier records 10 sacks, I'll personally drive up to Oregon to pick you up for my next draft party lol.
Collier couldn't come up with 10 sacks at a Wall Mart Superstore....
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Mon May 02, 2022 7:34 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 7:21 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 7:14 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:

Collier couldn't come up with 10 sacks at a Wall Mart Superstore....
:lol:

Schneider and Carrol are setting themselves up for a better QB crop in next year’s draft. Not a bad move, IMO. Even if Smith or Lock show better than they have to-date and the Seahawks make the playoffs, they should still have enough draft capital to move up and get the franchise QB that will move the team into a successful post-Wilson era.

ESPN has a player projection metric. Four of the draftees have a greater than 30% potential to be a pro bowler, including Cross, Mafe, Walker, and Woolen. Lucas is at 22.2%. Six of them are expected to be starters, four have grades as a rare or outstanding prospect. Melton was rated at 137 and they got him at 229, Woolen at 81 and they got him at 153. They did not reach anywhere. Great draft! 8-)

The ridiculously good values on Bryant and Woolen more than offset my concerns at the time Walker wasn't a great value play (not a slight to the player at all, thought Hall was 1 and Walker was 2 in terms of RBs) given his position. That concern was mitigated when it came out Carson is uncertain in terms of his future due to injury. But I could have seen each of those corners going a full round earlier and not been taken aback. Cross, Mafe, and Lucas all addressed positions of needs at good expected value, and my guess is Smith/Melton/Young are developmental and special teams guys if they make the roster, which in rounds 5 and 7 is reasonable. With Cross and Lucas, OT went from major issue to very young/affordable with potential, and good depth with Forsythe and Curran on the roster with their rookie deals. If Waldron really is a legit play caller, Walker IMO could become a bigger Cam Akers.

Just read an interview with the Dareke Young, the 7th round WR from Lenoir-Rhyne. Evidently, he blew everyone away at the East-West Shrine Game. 6'3, 220, built like DK and runs like the wind. I wonder if he'll be the Chris Carson of this draft.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Mon May 02, 2022 8:01 pm

Great write up on Levis: For me, the top quarterback prospect for 2023 is Kentucky’s Will Levis and it’s not that close.

He is the most exciting 2023 prospect aside from Alabama’s Will Anderson. He has everything — ideal size, arm strength, improvisation skills, the ability to challenge defenses at every level. He is a sensational talent.

Firstly, the physical traits. Levis is the closest thing we’ve seen to Josh Allen since he was drafted by the Bills. Now — he isn’t Allen. Nobody is. Allen is basically factory-made for the QB position with the complete physical skill-set. Levis isn’t far away though. He ran a 4.10 short shuttle at SPARQ and jumped a 36 inch vertical. His overall score was a 123.27 — which is seriously impressive for a quarterback who was already 224lbs in High School (he’s now listed at 230lbs).

Levis combines fantastic arm talent with a supreme physicality that allows him to excel as a runner. He can break off huge plays on QB-draws and scrambles to make a defense always account for his legs. He can also get his head down to make a yard when his team needs a conversion.

I recall one play last season where the center gave him a bad snap down at his feet. He plucked the ball off his toes, put his head down and drove at the LOS. He got the yardage for a first down, then pushed the pile Marshawn Lynch style for an extra five yards.

I like Levis’ technique as a thrower. He squares his shoulders off and positions himself to make accurate throws. His feet are planted on the ground, providing the necessary base to throw with consistent velocity. There’s evidence of touch throws and he has plenty of arm strength to drive the ball into tight windows. His release is compact and smooth.

There was one throw on a double pass where he received the ball towards the left sideline. A defender read the trick-play and closed on him quickly. In a flash he released the ball to the receiver downfield — it was such an improbable quick flick of the wrist and yet he generated so much force for a big-time completion.

He gave Georgia a game — more than a lot of quarterbacks can say in 2021. There was also a throw against LSU that felt like a statement of his quality.

Levis dropped back and processes the field. His first read isn’t open and there’s edge pressure from both sides. There’s a post-route option vs single coverage. As he’s being wiped out from the pressure, he launches the ball downfield. He delivers a 45-yard bomb right on the money, into the tightest window, settling between the covering cornerback who received some safety help. It hits the receiver right in the hands.

He does all of this while being hit, under immense pressure. Placement, composure and pure talent doesn’t get much better than this. You have to be able to create big plays downfield when things break down. Levis has the natural talent to do that — and in the modern NFL he has the improv and the physical attributes to excel.

I think he’s best placed to come into the league and have early success. His offensive coordinator last year was Liam Coen. Why does that matter? Coen was the receivers and quarterback coach for Sean McVay’s Rams between 2018-20. He was appointed back to the Rams this year to replace Kevin O’Connell as offensive coordinator.

He’s had pro-level coaching from the McVay tree, from a man so respected by McVay that he’s essentially become his right-hand-man. It also means he’s used to operating a lot of play-action and he’s a master of it. He is dealing in a translatable offense where the PA isn’t just a crutch to create easy completions.

~SDB

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon May 02, 2022 9:29 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
What NFL team can't use these if scenarios? The problem is McDowell had other factors that lead many teams to pass twice, Eskridge, Procise and Richardson are frail guys, and I believe had injury issues prior. Taylor? Wasn't he hurt WHEN they drafted him? Blair is the only one that, to me, seems like a big surprise that he didn't stay healthy, but then you look at him and he is built like a #2 pencil and hits like a truck...so, duh! LOL

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon May 02, 2022 9:33 pm

D-train wrote:
SeattleAddict wrote:
Haha, missed this before I added my response. This is one of my favorite lines. I had to come up with a cleaner version for coaching HS girls. So, I always say "if ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!" A couple of years ago they got me a giant jar of candy and nuts and wrote "Ifs and Butts" on one side and "Merry Christmas" on the other. Was pretty clever.

That said, it is a bottom line industry. And the bottom line is most of the drafts haven't panned out. Which is exactly how we went from the Super Bowl champion and youngest team in the NFL in 2013 to 7 and 10 and looking old and slow in 2021.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Mon May 02, 2022 10:15 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 9:33 pm
D-train wrote:
SeattleAddict wrote:
Haha, missed this before I added my response. This is one of my favorite lines. I had to come up with a cleaner version for coaching HS girls. So, I always say "if ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!" A couple of years ago they got me a giant jar of candy and nuts and wrote "Ifs and Butts" on one side and "Merry Christmas" on the other. Was pretty clever.

That said, it is a bottom line industry. And the bottom line is most of the drafts haven't panned out. Which is exactly how we went from the Super Bowl champion and youngest team in the NFL in 2013 to 7 and 10 and looking old and slow in 2021.
Schneider hasn't extended a 5th year option on any player they've draft since 2011.