Rookie Mini Camp thread

D-train

Re: Rookie Mini Camp thread

Post by D-train » Mon May 09, 2022 2:20 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 2:10 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:28 pm
Wow, reading that it finally occurred to be that both OT we drafted played for Leach for multiple seasons. What are the odds?
It's great that they have a ton of experience in pass blocking sunce that is much more technical than run blocking. If Blithe can pass block at all then they might even be able to create a pocket for the QB! What a novel concept.
Absolutely and its not like Leach NEVER ran the ball. He had the great Max Borgi as his RB for a couple seasons after all. And in regards to Lucas, I think WSU ran a bit more post Leach, right?
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon May 09, 2022 4:38 pm

By Michael-Shawn Dugar
May 7, 2022

Save Article
RENTON, Wash. – The second day of Seahawks rookie minicamp was the was the first opportunity to watch Seattle’s rookies participate in 7-on-7 and full-team work, obviously with limited contact since they were without pads. These notes and observations include a few “highlights” from the day, along with other takeaways.

1. One of the reasons defensive passing game coordinator Karl Scott was attractive to head coach Pete Carroll was his ability to teach the game to his players, so I spent some time watching him in action Saturday while he worked with the cornerbacks. There are rules about reporting conversations overheard on the field during practice, so I can’t get into specific teaching points Scott relayed to the guys, but it was interesting to get a look at all the small details he emphasized when working with the cornerbacks at the line of scrimmage. Hand placement on press technique, patience at the line, how to make their hands at feet work together when defending different releases, cutoff angles on outside releases — a little bit of everything was covered in these few minutes he had alone with his corners. Carroll even stopped for a moment to check in on the session.

All the corners Seattle brought in can play, of course, but the ones who make an impact on Sundays master and trust their technique. And with Seattle transitioning to a new defensive scheme this season, Scott teaching those techniques to the young cornerbacks on the roster will be very important.

“I love Coach Scott. He brings energy, he’s cool,” said cornerback Coby Bryant, Seattle’s fourth-round pick in the 2022 draft. “He’s a nice guy as well, too. I love being coached by him. He’s definitely the best of the best. The biggest thing here is competing. We’re picking up on technique each and every day. It’s only Day 2, a lot of work to be done. My ears are peeled back and I’m ready to listen and be coached by one of the best.”

2. Although plays on the ball aren’t permitted if it means making contact with the receiver, Bryant made a great play during the full-team period Saturday, nearly jumping a route for an interception (I believe the quarterback was Kaleb Eleby, but my vision was slightly obstructed). Undrafted receiver Rodney Coates ran a hitch from the outside and Bryant ran with him, sunk his hips when Coates went into his break and came down hard at the ball. He dropped it, but it was an impressive rep nonetheless. Scott was fired up about it after the play.

“We’re really not supposed to go for the ball but the competitive guy I am, the first thing I do is try and go for the ball,” Bryant said, acknowledging how difficult is to fight that instinct during minicamp. “It’s extremely tough, especially for me. I like to show off my ball skills – obviously not right there because I dropped. But that’s the thing biggest thing, still adjusting to the NFL life, one step at a time.”

3. There was an actual interception later in the period. Quarterback Levi Lewis rolled left and tried to hit receiver Dareke Young on what looked like a corner route near the sideline, but Lewis didn’t get enough air on it. The route was undercut and intercepted by tryout cornerback Elijah Jones, who did a nice job snagging the ball at hits highest point.

“That was smooth,” Bryant said.

4. Bryant worked as the left cornerback opposite Josh Valentine-Turner, another member of the 14-man undrafted free agent class. Fellow undrafted free agent signees Bubba Bolden and Joey Blount were the two safeties I saw most often in the secondary with Bryant during team periods. Williams, another UDFA, is listed as a strong safety but might get some work at nickel in camp. That offers an early look at where Seattle sees these rookies fitting in.

5. Neither of the quarterbacks connected on any of the deep passes I saw, though there were some opportunities. Young got behind the defense a couple times but didn’t get any legitimate shots at making the catches. Coates flew by cornerback Kenneth George on one of the final plays of the day during 7-on-7 but the pass from Eleby was overthrown. Coates and seventh-round pick Bo Melton seemed to get a bunch of targets on Saturday. The latter had what might have been the best route of the day, getting a cornerback — it might have been Bryant, but again my vision was obstructed — on a double move before receiving a deep pass from Lewis. The defensive coaches could argue that had contact been permitted, Bolden would have jarred the ball loose, or even intercepted it, but that doesn’t take away from Melton’s well-executed route.

6. Speaking of Melton, he helped continue the theme of using this space to provide a name update. While he goes by “Bo” and has for most of his life, that is not his real name.

“My real is Miles; I never told anybody that,” Melton said with a smile. “Y’all know now. My dad named me Bo, so I’ve been called Bo since I was seven years old. It kind of stuck with me.”

7. The best throw of the day came during the 7-on-7 session. Eleby sent a laser through the middle of the field to tight end John Mitchell on a seam route. It was one those of the middle-of-the-field throws that can be dangerous because you must have the touch to get it over the linebacker and the placement to get it between the safeties. Eleby did a good job with both there.

8. Young is two semesters away from completing his master’s in business administration, though he said he has put those studies on hold to focus on football. Whenever Young’s football career is finished, he plans on becoming a mechanical engineer and working on cars.

“I’ve been interested in cars growing up,” Young said. “I’ve fixed a couple parts of my car like changing tires, oil, things of that nature. Just being hands on with cars growing up made me fall in love with it.”

Young was then asked to name is dream car.

“As of right now with the gas prices, I’ll have to go with a Tesla,” he said. “I really like those Teslas.”
dt

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Mon May 09, 2022 5:43 pm

Reports are saying both tackles look good, and a couple UDFAs showed as contenders.

Vi Jones, LB, son of 3-time Super Bowl champion Robert Jones also had two brothers play in the NFL. He had 6 sacks last year, but interestingly also blocked 3 kicks. I can TOTALLY see this kid making the team.

Shamwow (as somebody called him earlier here) Gilmore played 4000+ snaps in college, is 300+ lbs and ran the same time in the short shuttle as Coby Bryant. With our lack of depth on the O-Line, I wouldn't be surprised to see him make it, either.

These two could be the Rattighan and Curhan of this year's class.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon May 09, 2022 6:08 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:43 pm
Shamwow (as somebody called him earlier here) Gilmore played 4000+ snaps in college, is 300+ lbs and ran the same time in the short shuttle as Coby Bryant. With our lack of depth on the O-Line, I wouldn't be surprised to see him make it, either.
Is that something we should feel good about. Bryant is sssllllooooooowwww. :x

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue May 10, 2022 6:18 am

D-train wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 10:42 am
Donn Beach wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 7:13 am
D-train wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 12:33 pm
Stone Forsythe is Cross's comp.
He isn't listed here

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/n ... e-seahawks
I assume you saw him mentioned in the O line article I posted. The part in red is obviously the point you have been making. Definitely unusual.
Yeah, but that wasn't what I been going off of the last two weeks or whatever

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 10, 2022 11:15 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 6:18 am
D-train wrote:
Donn Beach wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 7:13 am

He isn't listed here

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_/n ... e-seahawks
I assume you saw him mentioned in the O line article I posted. The part in red is obviously the point you have been making. Definitely unusual.
:|
dt

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Wed May 11, 2022 6:36 am

Mon May 09, 2022 2:02 pm
Actually Burns had a respectable PFF in his 6 starts last year, but every other season he has been at 70 or below. So i guess it's possible he could win the job but i wouldn't put him ahead of Sidney Jones right now.
Given that by all accounts Burns was a flop on the outside his first few years and then had a rebound season last year in the slot, combined with the weakness we have had in the slot the past few years, i would like to think that Burns is brought in to play there, and hopefully sends Amadi packing.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed May 11, 2022 8:01 am

D-train wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 11:15 am
Donn Beach wrote:
D-train wrote:

I meant Forsyth not on the depth chart I was using, I was thinking he must be a right tackle. Terms of their youth yeah, but it makes more sense now. It pretty much fits in to the sort of online decisions they tend to make.

what's interesting is they could have reversed it. Both their second year tackles could be viewed as possible starter material. But instead of putting some veteran behind them they put even younger possibilities in front of them

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 11, 2022 10:51 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:01 am
D-train wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 11:15 am
Donn Beach wrote:

I meant Forsyth not on the depth chart I was using, I was thinking he must be a right tackle. Terms of their youth yeah, but it makes more sense now. It pretty much fits in to the sort of online decisions they tend to make.

what's interesting is they could have reversed it. Both their second year tackles could be viewed as possible starter material. But instead of putting some veteran behind them they put even younger possibilities in front of them
Oh Gotcha. Yeah, they are definitely opening themselves up for criticism by "going with the kids" but at least they aren't doing it in a go for it season.
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Wed May 11, 2022 12:04 pm

Mon May 09, 2022 6:08 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:43 pm
Is that something we should feel good about. Bryant is sssllllooooooowwww. :x
Still won the Jim Thorpe award and some coaches said he's a better performer than "Sauce". That definitely deserves a look. You can't teach instincts.