Re: Rookie Mini Camp thread

Post by D-train » Wed May 11, 2022 12:16 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 12:04 pm
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 6:08 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:43 pm
Shamwow (as somebody called him earlier here) Gilmore played 4000+ snaps in college, is 300+ lbs and ran the same time in the short shuttle as Coby Bryant. With our lack of depth on the O-Line, I wouldn't be surprised to see him make it, either.
Is that something we should feel good about. Bryant is sssllllooooooowwww. :x
Still won the Jim Thorpe award and some coaches said he's a better performer than "Sauce". That definitely deserves a look. You can't teach instincts.
Absolutely. I think people get way to focused on measurables instead of who is actually the better football player.
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Wed May 11, 2022 12:23 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 12:16 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 6:08 pm

Is that something we should feel good about. Bryant is sssllllooooooowwww. :x
Still won the Jim Thorpe award and some coaches said he's a better performer than "Sauce". That definitely deserves a look. You can't teach instincts.
Absolutely. I think people get way to focused on measurables instead of who is actually the better football player.
Big time! Can't stress how happy I am to have so much depth at CB. :D

Safety is a completely different area however. I'm not a big fan of Jamal Adams, even though he's an LSU alum. I'm sorry, but if you're a safety that can't cover, then what the hell are you? Next year hoping to find a baddass at the S and LB positions after we take care of the QB situation.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 11, 2022 12:27 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 12:23 pm
D-train wrote:
Sexymarinersfan wrote:

Safety is a completely different area however. I'm not a big fan of Jamal Adams, even though he's an LSU alum. I'm sorry, but if you're a safety that can't cover, then what the hell are you? Next year hoping to find a baddass at the S and LB positions after we take care of the QB situation.
Yeah not a fan of the player or person that is Adams. So do you think Bryant won the Thorpe award over Sauce because he got more action?
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Wed May 11, 2022 12:32 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 12:27 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
D-train wrote:

Yeah not a fan of the player or person that is Adams. So do you think Bryant won the Thorpe award over Sauce because he got more action?
Let me put it this way. That dude is battle tested, with his team having faced so many different high caliber offenses and he didn't give up a single touchdown pass all season long? :shock: How did he not go higher?! This draft was insanely deep is the only reasoning that I can come up with to that question.

I had Bryant graded in round four and I like the pick even though I had other corners graded higher. It’s hard to work out these days what the Seahawks want at the position — highlighted by them drafting another short armed corner (30.5 inch arms). He was considered a big time leader and Captain in Cincinnati. He’s not the quickest (4.54 at the combine, 4.48 at pro-day) but he’s competitive in run support and was well liked by a lot in the scouting community. He has a chance to compete to start which is all you can ask for in day three.

So to answer you're question, he might have gotten tested more with Sauce shutting down the opposite side of the field. I'm really curious to finding out more about this player in the coming months to be completely honest.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Wed May 11, 2022 1:18 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 12:32 pm
D-train wrote:
Sexymarinersfan wrote:

Let me put it this way. That dude is battle tested, with his team having faced so many different high caliber offenses and he didn't give up a single touchdown pass all season long? :shock: How did he not go higher?! This draft was insanely deep is the only reasoning that I can come up with to that question.

I had Bryant graded in round four and I like the pick even though I had other corners graded higher. It’s hard to work out these days what the Seahawks want at the position — highlighted by them drafting another short armed corner (30.5 inch arms). He was considered a big time leader and Captain in Cincinnati. He’s not the quickest (4.54 at the combine, 4.48 at pro-day) but he’s competitive in run support and was well liked by a lot in the scouting community. He has a chance to compete to start which is all you can ask for in day three.

So to answer you're question, he might have gotten tested more with Sauce shutting down the opposite side of the field. I'm really curious to finding out more about this player in the coming months to be completely honest.
It seems the club has shed its long-time insistence on long-arms for outside corners, but still generally wants height out there. Bryant fits that bill, whereas Woolen has both in spades.

As for slow measurable corners - Aqib Talib was pretty good. Long speed is more important at that position than other groups but still less so than the quickness factor as measured by the short shuttle splits. Be interested to see how Coby ranks in those.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed May 11, 2022 5:44 pm

D-train wrote:

OK, so player? I guess. He was a Pro Bowl S as a Jet and a Pro Bowl S here. You want a cover guy at SS, fine, he aint your guy. The thing is, he wasn't when we traded for him, and Greg Williams basically told us all Pete wouldn't know what the fuck to do with him. But Person? He wants to win, I think that is obvious. You look at the Legion of Jailbirds we all used to love, and what is there to not like about Adams as a person?