Really interesting piece on whether its a rebuild or not

D-train

Really interesting piece on whether its a rebuild or not

Post by D-train » Sun May 15, 2022 11:02 pm

Also focuses on RWs shortcomings and how they abandoned Waldron's Ram's system influence

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/5/12 ... te-carroll
dt

Donn Beach

Re: Really interesting piece on whether its a rebuild or not

Post by Donn Beach » Mon May 16, 2022 2:05 am

Interesting, yeah, PCJS can't just sit around losing games. Like I was saying before, it's an interesting team which no longer has the headache that I think RW had become for Pete. I think it comes down to Pete winning without RW.
.If Carroll and Schneider can win games with Lock or Smith under center, then letting them oversee this next era of Seattle football would make sense. If this thing implodes, that should signal that a complete reset, starting at the top of the organization, is in order.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon May 16, 2022 9:59 am

First time I had seen these rankings. Pretty strong correlation between middle of the field throws with all the best offenses in the top 10 and all the worst near the bottom.
middle.JPG
middle.JPG (50.18 KiB) Viewed 806 times
dt

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Mon May 16, 2022 4:28 pm

that chart is kind of interesting. It isn't clear what it's showing, and I wonder if it's cause/effect though - are the better offenses going to have more yards, plays, etc simply because they're better? Or are they better because they throw to the middle?

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon May 16, 2022 6:01 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 4:28 pm
that chart is kind of interesting. It isn't clear what it's showing, and I wonder if it's cause/effect though - are the better offenses going to have more yards, plays, etc simply because they're better? Or are they better because they throw to the middle?
Good question. I am also confused by formation width vs. Spread formation. Aren't spread formations the widest and should correlate with formation width? lol
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon May 16, 2022 6:54 pm

I wonder if that means that the pass was the width of the formation, or in other words, not an out? That doesn't make any sense, but I have no idea what they are referring to by Formation Width.

How many times they are spread out, in the gun and throw in the middle of the field make all kinds of sense. But Formation Width? What are they ranking there?

douche

Post by douche » Mon May 16, 2022 8:09 pm

Not clear on the difference between formation width and spread formation rate, it seems redundant to me.

Spread Offense Formation - to spread the defense out horizontally, pulling off extra blockers, like the fullback, and putting in extra receivers. With the defense spread out, it is easier to isolate man coverage, as well as to find and throw to the holes in the zone.

Isn't that essentially formation width?

If the Niners are ranked #1, does that mean that the Niners spread from sideline to sideline?
Last edited by douche on Mon May 16, 2022 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon May 16, 2022 8:11 pm

douche wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 8:09 pm
Not clear on the difference between formation width and spread formation rate, it seems redundant to me.

Spread Offense Formation - to spread the defense out horizontally, pulling off extra blockers, like the fullback, and putting in extra receivers. With the defense spread out, it is easier to isolate man coverage, as well as to find and throw to the holes in the zone.

Isn't that essentially formation width?
Maybe, but I suppose you could be spread without being as wide as possible, right? Have the WRs on the right spread out but either no receiver on the left, or have them in tight? That could be called "spread", but not be as wide as some formations? I am totally spit balling there because I literally have no answer.

douche

Post by douche » Mon May 16, 2022 8:15 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 8:11 pm
Maybe, but I suppose you could be spread without being as wide as possible, right?
That was my thought.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Mon May 16, 2022 9:05 pm

douche wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 8:15 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 8:11 pm
Maybe, but I suppose you could be spread without being as wide as possible, right?
That was my thought.
sure that's possible, but seems like a pretty stupid thing to track. What would be the point? The difference of a couple of yards between receivers isn't significant to anything, especially once they take the first step of their route.