Denver Radio v. Mike Salk

trharder

Denver Radio v. Mike Salk

Post by trharder » Tue May 17, 2022 2:10 am

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/category ... =Mike+Salk
18 minute mark:
Remember Tyler Polumbus? He does Denver radio now. He thinks the Broncos will win 10 games and likely a wild card berth this year. At one point he seems to think he's educating Salk on Russell Wilson. Polumbus doesn't really think RWs legs and athleticism were that big a part of his game. "he never was Lamar Jackson". Salk points out RW's height and Polumbus tries to ignore it. Polumbus agrees RW's next contract will likely be the biggest in the league and be fully guaranteed like Deshawn Watson's. Like other media from Denver I've heard, they don't seem that worried about it.

Michael K.

Re: Denver Radio v. Mike Salk

Post by Michael K. » Tue May 17, 2022 3:13 pm

They won a Super Bowl because of the read option AND they came back from an 18 point fourth quarter deficit in the NFCCG the very next year because of the read option. Funny how less effective this team was as that went away. But, yeah, it was never about his legs. Watch every big play over again. 80% are not inside the pocket, and the ones that are he immediately threw deep to his first read. His legs are a HUGE part of his game, and they are declining rapidly.

douche

Post by douche » Tue May 17, 2022 4:15 pm

I get a warm fuzzy feeling inside knowing that SEA will have nothing to do with RW's next monster contract.

Lamda

Post by Lamda » Tue May 17, 2022 5:25 pm

douche wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 4:15 pm
I get a warm fuzzy feeling inside knowing that SEA will have nothing to do with RW's next monster contract.
Agreed!! 50mill or more into a declining QB didn't excite me either. Not overly excited about having no QB now so he would have been better than this but hopefully we find a legit QB in the next year or two and don't turn into one of those teams that takes 10 years to find one.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Tue May 17, 2022 6:51 pm

Gonna be interesting to see if the altitude affects him over the course of the season, if playing on grass slows him down, and how those icy winters affect his game. I guess now he can start shilling his new "Altitude Water" and rebrand his "Mediocrity" perfume into "Frozen Mediocrity" or even cheesier "Wilson's Wind Chill" or maybe "The Donkey Musk." #cringeRUSS.

"60 percent of the time, it works every time..." :lol:

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Tue May 17, 2022 6:55 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 3:13 pm
They won a Super Bowl because of the read option AND they came back from an 18 point fourth quarter deficit in the NFCCG the very next year because of the read option. Funny how less effective this team was as that went away. But, yeah, it was never about his legs. Watch every big play over again. 80% are not inside the pocket, and the ones that are he immediately threw deep to his first read. His legs are a HUGE part of his game, and they are declining rapidly.
this is so true. He's still decently mobile, but what made him great was being able to convert just about any 3rd down by taking off and running, and we haven't seen that in a while. Those plays made a HUGE difference, keeping drives alive. Each one of those scrambles was an extra three offensive plays.

There are only a couple of Brady/Manning/Rodgers types that can sit in the pocket without a threat of running. Most of the top-tier QBs are threats with their legs - Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, Allen, Murray, and so many others all make plays with their legs. Guys like Rapelessberger are successful because of their size - they don't take off and run, but they're big enough to not get taken down. This is where RW's size might become an issue, if he's not as mobile, he can't create those running and throwing lanes. I don't believe this is a problem YET, just saying it could.

Now, we happen to have two QBs that have arm talent, but aren't really running threats or special in the pocket, either.

trharder

Post by trharder » Wed May 18, 2022 2:42 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:55 pm
Michael K. wrote:
this is so true. He's still decently mobile, but what made him great was being able to convert just about any 3rd down by taking off and running, and we haven't seen that in a while. Those plays made a HUGE difference, keeping drives alive. Each one of those scrambles was an extra three offensive plays.There are only a couple of Brady/Manning/Rodgers types that can sit in the pocket without a threat of running. Most of the top-tier QBs are threats with their legs - Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, Allen, Murray, and so many others all make plays with their legs. Guys like Rapelessberger are successful because of their size - they don't take off and run, but they're big enough to not get taken down. This is where RW's size might become an issue, if he's not as mobile, he can't create those running and throwing lanes. I don't believe this is a problem YET, just saying it could. Now, we happen to have two QBs that have arm talent, but aren't really running threats or special in the pocket, either.
Everything seems to point to RW and Denver thinking RW can be (IS?) a Brady/Manning type pocket-passing field general. That Pete was just too stupid to use him that way? Seahawk fans watched how RW made all of those pretty statistics. It wasn't that. Not only wasn't it that, when it was tried, and it was tried quite a bit over the years, it was an epic 3-and-out, 3-and-out, 2-and-a pick disaster. Yes, RW has the arm. He has the accuracy when he can see. But without some sort of running threat on the table to enable play action, it fails.

All NFL offenses perform better when there is some running game balance. Even Brady/Manning type offenses. Maybe Denver will have the running game compliment that will enable RW to shine. But the more I think about it, the more I think this will be a catastrophe for Denver and RW.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Wed May 18, 2022 3:01 pm

trharder wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 2:42 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:55 pm
Michael K. wrote:
this is so true. He's still decently mobile, but what made him great was being able to convert just about any 3rd down by taking off and running, and we haven't seen that in a while. Those plays made a HUGE difference, keeping drives alive. Each one of those scrambles was an extra three offensive plays.There are only a couple of Brady/Manning/Rodgers types that can sit in the pocket without a threat of running. Most of the top-tier QBs are threats with their legs - Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, Allen, Murray, and so many others all make plays with their legs. Guys like Rapelessberger are successful because of their size - they don't take off and run, but they're big enough to not get taken down. This is where RW's size might become an issue, if he's not as mobile, he can't create those running and throwing lanes. I don't believe this is a problem YET, just saying it could. Now, we happen to have two QBs that have arm talent, but aren't really running threats or special in the pocket, either.
Everything seems to point to RW and Denver thinking RW can be (IS?) a Brady/Manning type pocket-passing field general. That Pete was just too stupid to use him that way? Seahawk fans watched how RW made all of those pretty statistics. It wasn't that. Not only wasn't it that, when it was tried, and it was tried quite a bit over the years, it was an epic 3-and-out, 3-and-out, 2-and-a pick disaster. Yes, RW has the arm. He has the accuracy when he can see. But without some sort of running threat on the table to enable play action, it fails.

All NFL offenses perform better when there is some running game balance. Even Brady/Manning type offenses. Maybe Denver will have the running game compliment that will enable RW to shine. But the more I think about it, the more I think this will be a catastrophe for Denver and RW.
The number of QB's who can carry an offense without a running game is very small. This notion that Seattle somehow disproportionately runs the ball is simply false. There is this reputation of Wilson as a winner, that all of Seattle's success is because of him. This is pushed by people who don't follow the team closely, but read headlines and stat sheets instead of WATCHING for context. Wilson is good - a top 1/3 QB in my opinion. But go back and look at his passing stats from last season. he had ONE 300 yard game. Most of his games - throughout his career - are low to mid 200 yard games. He has a great arm, used to have great legs, but there seems to be this myth that he has dragged Seattle along, when I am not sure the opposite can't be argued. The most success Seattle has had was when a strong running game was present - and that is not to take anything away from Wilson's contributions - he's been really good. But for people that actually follow the team - his decline, limitations, and lack of motivation is glaring. In this day and age, people think a 4,000 yard passing season is a huge deal - the reality is that's only averaging 235 yards a game. It's surely valuable, but this mythology that Wilson is more than he is - simply doesn't track. He's better than what Seattle has now, but that doesn't matter - he can't take the team anywhere anymore. That Lambs playoff loss... what a disaster. A guy making 35 million with a lack of motivation problem is a major albatross. Seattle's 'strong finish' last season was more a byproduct of Rashaad Penny than Wilson.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Wed May 18, 2022 4:15 pm

trharder wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 2:42 pm

oh I hope they try to make him a pocket passer. This has failed every. single. time. it has been tried in the NFL. Rick Mirer is remembered as an epic bust, but people forget that he was amazing his rookie year. Offensive ROY if I remember right. Why? Because he RAN - he was fast and elusive, which wasn't really a thing back then. They made a concerted effort to keep him in the pocket, and he crashed and burned immediately. Tebow was never allowed to do what he does, Krappernick was effective running, but as soon as he was kept in the pocket, crap. RG III was hot garbage once he lost the ability to run. Lamar Jackson will be the next if he tweaks and ankle.

A running QB can make the difference between an average running game and an elite one. That extra 50 yards/game on plays that were supposed to be passes really changes the stat sheet.

trharder

Post by trharder » Wed May 18, 2022 7:16 pm

auroraave wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 3:01 pm
The number of QB's who can carry an offense without a running game is very small. This notion that Seattle somehow disproportionately runs the ball is simply false....
but there seems to be this myth that he has dragged Seattle along, when I am not sure the opposite can't be argued. The most success Seattle has had was when a strong running game was present - and that is not to take anything away from Wilson's contributions - he's been really good. But for people that actually follow the team - his decline, limitations, and lack of motivation is glaring....
I apologize for nitpicking when I mostly agree with you, but
I often felt RW did basically carry the offense. Not the team mind you, as when they were really good, the strongest component was the defense. As everyone here is agreeing, he did this with his legs, athleticism, hustle, improvisation and arm. Point being, not just his arm. At one point, RW was actually clutch. He would amp up his creativity and running as much as it took, late in a game, to get it done. The most obvious dreadful exception being the game losing pick in the SB. Back in the day, it felt like Pete and JS relied on RW manufacturing offense despite the O-line not being that good, allowing them to concentrate more on fortifying the defense.

Somewhere along the line, RW became less willing to put the game on his back (legs). Maybe it was age. Maybe it's his delusional assessment of his own ability as a pure passer. Maybe both.