This will be an unpopular opinion, but I am good with the Adams trade

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: This will be an unpopular opinion, but I am good with the Adams trade

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat May 21, 2022 1:58 pm

auroraave wrote:the Adams overpay had a long range benefit no one could have foreseen
Huh, wtf would that be?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat May 21, 2022 2:21 pm

auroraave wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:59 pm
Michael I am curious why you think it would be an unpopular opinion? Adams is a stud. Yeah, we overpaid - no question - and that move has PC's paw prints all over it, but that trade felt like the last attempt for Seattle to go "all in" w/RW even though the roster was in decline. Injuries should not be criticized unless you're driving an ATV off a cliff. It's incredible to watch how roster moves are immediately judged - and how so many fans can't or won't allow for the concept of time to pass to let it play out in the bigger picture. What may seem like a bad deal in the short term, can often turn out to be a huge win in the long run - but fans don't recognize that THAT is how a football team is built. Turns out Penny can run, turns out Brooks is a stud, turns out the Adams overpay had a long range benefit no one could have foreseen. Not everything has to have an immediate return. That's what the fans want, and rightfully so, but that's not how you build and run a team. There are still people who cannot understand how dumping Bobby and KJ is the SMART move, or how trading RW was the SMART move. RW may go on to have a great career in DonkeyLand, and that turns my stomach because I hate that franchise so much, but the hard reality is he could not take us anywhere anymore - so you make the painful decision.

Something else people need to acknowledge - last season there was a lot of confusion on the defense early on - a LOT of that was due to the transition into the Bear package - a more 3/4 type alignment along with a lot of new faces on the team. That means different assignments. Players were out of position - but not always the players that appeared to be. Blown assignments can leave Adams high and dry. No one talks about that. A new scheme with new talent is a major change - especially when trying to install it mid-season.
Adams was a whipping boy of more than a couple of posters in here all last season. I still argue that the scheme was fucking horseshit, and that you don't trade for and then pay for a box safety and ask him to play CF.

I guess I am just real excited to see what he will do in this scheme now....but who knows? Maybe PC just makes these new guys coach the way his old guys coached, and we play the same fucking defense that the league figured out three years ago?

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat May 21, 2022 2:47 pm

Adams was dreadful last year. Even if they weren't using him to his strengths, it is clear he isn't some elite athlete or great safety. He is limited in what he does well and i hope that won't cause them to use a scheme that is less than optimal for the rest of the team.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat May 21, 2022 4:13 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:47 pm
Adams was dreadful last year. Even if they weren't using him to his strengths, it is clear he isn't some elite athlete or great safety. He is limited in what he does well and i hope that won't cause them to use a scheme that is less than optimal for the rest of the team.
So, he was a Pro Bowler and All Pro with the Jets, a Pro Bowler and All Pro his first season here, but is is "clear he isn't some elite athlete or great safety"? Huh? You know a lot of Pro Bowlers and All Pros that are clearly not great at what they do?

2017 NFL All Rookie Team
2019 voted NFL Top 100 #37
2020 voted NFL Top 100 #27
2021 voted NFL Top 100 #31

A Pro Bowler in 2018,2019 and 2020

All-Pro Teams

Year Tm Level Pos Voters
2018 1st Tm All-Conf. S Pro Football Writers
2018 1st Tm S Pro Football Focus
2018 1st Tm S Sporting News
2018 2nd Tm S Associated Press
2019 1st Tm All-Conf. S Pro Football Writers
2019 1st Tm S Associated Press
2019 1st Tm S Pro Football Writers
2019 1st Tm S Sporting News
2019 2nd Tm S Pro Football Focus
2020 1st Tm All-Conf. S Pro Football Writers
2020 2nd Tm S Associated Press

Yeah, clearly he sucks.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat May 21, 2022 4:57 pm

He put up sack numbers and not much else. Now with a fucked-up shoulder he can't even do that. The awards he got with the Jets don't mean squat now.

How 'bout a friendly $100 bet on whether he even makes the Pro Bowl roster as an alternate this year? And if he misses 4+ starts due to injury i'll let you off the hook. ;)

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat May 21, 2022 5:51 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 4:57 pm
He put up sack numbers and not much else. Now with a fucked-up shoulder he can't even do that. The awards he got with the Jets don't mean squat now.

How 'bout a friendly $100 bet on whether he even makes the Pro Bowl roster as an alternate this year? And if he misses 4+ starts due to injury i'll let you off the hook. ;)
So, now it is that his injury will limit him going forward, so all he accomplished in the past is moot? You would rather have had one more mediocre season out of McDougald, and the guys the Jets drafted, then Bryant and Adams? You are moving the goal post. Where I come from, $100 is out for blood, not friendly! LOL

I think it is very possible that his injury makes him not the player he was before. I still don't think that means that a three time All Pro and Pro Bowler, a guy who only missed Pro Bowls and All Pros his rookie season and an injury shortened season, is CLEARLY not an elite athlete or Safety! Those were your words, and I vehemently disagree. Shit, no one is harder on this FO than I am, and I am still fine with that move.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Sat May 21, 2022 6:11 pm

If Adams stays healthy, he's going to go to the Pro Bowl. Saying he was "dreadful" last year is ridiculous. His numbers weren't what they should have been because of the injury, the fact they seem to have forgotten how to use him, and having terrible CBs for half the season. 2/3 of that should be different this year.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat May 21, 2022 8:28 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 6:11 pm
If Adams stays healthy, he's going to go to the Pro Bowl. Saying he was "dreadful" last year is ridiculous. His numbers weren't what they should have been because of the injury, the fact they seem to have forgotten how to use him, and having terrible CBs for half the season. 2/3 of that should be different this year.
Sorry, he got beaten like a drum whether playing 2 deep zone or picking up tight ends in close and that had nothing to do with the injury. What the injury did effect, i think, was his physicality in run support and blitzing with reckless abandon. If he can't do those things he's not going to be very useful.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat May 21, 2022 8:56 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 5:51 pm
So, now it is that his injury will limit him going forward, so all he accomplished in the past is moot? You would rather have had one more mediocre season out of McDougald, and the guys the Jets drafted, then Bryant and Adams? You are moving the goal post. Where I come from, $100 is out for blood, not friendly! LOL

I think it is very possible that his injury makes him not the player he was before. I still don't think that means that a three time All Pro and Pro Bowler, a guy who only missed Pro Bowls and All Pros his rookie season and an injury shortened season, is CLEARLY not an elite athlete or Safety! Those were your words, and I vehemently disagree. Shit, no one is harder on this FO than I am, and I am still fine with that move.
Apparently the Jets' DC was a genius compared to S'Nortin. :lol: And Adams made the '20 Pro Bowl on reputation mainly.