This will be an unpopular opinion, but I am good with the Adams trade

Michael K.

This will be an unpopular opinion, but I am good with the Adams trade

Post by Michael K. » Fri May 20, 2022 2:08 pm

I will take Jamaal Adams and Coby Bryant. I am pretty excited to see what they both do with this staff and a scheme that makes fucking sense.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... been-made/
By Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter
When the NFL draft concluded April 30, it put the finishing touches on the first chapter of the Jamal Adams trade.

There are many more to be written.

But the draft meant that we now know all of the players each team got out of the deal.

So, let’s recap.

Seattle received Adams and a fourth-round pick in 2022, that turned out to be No. 109, which the Seahawks used on cornerback Coby Bryant of Cincinnati, the Jim Thorpe Award winner as the best defensive back in college football in 2021.

The Jets received Bradley McDougald, first-round picks in 2021 and 2022 and a third-round pick in 2022.

The Jets used the two picks in 2021 to move up from 23 — Seattle’s spot — to 14 in a trade with the Vikings and take offensive lineman Alijah Vera-Tucker of USC.

Minnesota used those two picks to take left tackle Christian Darrisaw of Virginia Tech at 23 and guard Wyatt Davis of Ohio State at 86.

The Jets then used the first-round pick they got from Seattle this year to take receiver Garrett Wilson of Ohio State.

So, you can look at this trade two ways — simply what the Seahawks and Jets ended up getting out of it, or forget about New York’s trade with Minnesota and just consider what Seattle could have gotten with what would have been its picks.

What the Jets ended up with is Vera-Tucker, Wilson and McDougald while Seattle got Adams and Bryant.

Maybe Seattle makes different picks than the teams that held those selections did, but for simplicity’s sake, let’s assume the picks are the same. So, the Seahawks could have had Darrisaw, Davis and Wilson as well as the 2020 season of McDougald if they hadn’t made the deal. Well, all of that plus a lot more cap space going forward, as what also factors in is the huge contract the Seahawks ended up handing Adams, which was a given from the minute the trade was made in July 2020.

Seattle signed Adams last August to a four-year deal worth an average of $17.5 million per season, a contract that truly kicks in this year with a cap hit of $9.1 million that then increases the next three years to $18.1 million, $23.6 million and $24.6 million, respectively.

There’s no guaranteed money in the final two years of the deal, however, so if Seattle wanted to get out of the contract it could following the 2023 season, having paid Adams what would be $46.4 million for three years when he would be 29.

The pick Seattle got back was easily viewed at the time as a throw-in that turned into Bryant and could also be pretty significant — he’ll have every chance to earn a starting job right away.

As for what the Jets got:

McDougald played just seven games before going on IR in a year in which he made $4.06 million on the last year of a contract he had signed with Seattle. After a brief stint last year with Tennessee (including playing against the Seahawks in Week 2) he is not currently on a roster;
Vera-Tucker, who played left tackle his final season at USC, was moved to left guard by the Jets and started 16 games. He was ranked second among rookie guards by Pro Football Focus and had the 10th-best overall run blocking grade of any guard. That the Jets moved him to guard, though, has had some questioning the pick despite the fact he played well last year — only 11 players listed as guards have been drafted in the first round since 2012.
Wilson was the second receiver taken in this year’s draft after USC’s Drake London at No. 8 to Atlanta, and how he performs will likely now be the ultimate determiner of the success of this deal from New York’s standpoint.
As for who the Vikings took with the two picks that were originally Seattle’s:

Rehabbing from surgery limited Darrisaw to 10 games as a rookie. But he played well down the stretch and appears to be a potential anchor at left tackle for the Vikings for years to come;
Davis, meanwhile, struggled to earn a role as a rookie and did not play a single offensive snap in 2021, though he did play in six games on special teams.
Regardless of how the other pieces involved in the trade perform, the ultimate legacy of this deal for the Seahawks is what Adams does for Seattle, especially considering the hefty financial investment involved, which obviously limits other moves the team can make the next few years.

The trade looked like a worthy risk when Adams had 9.5 sacks in 2020, the most for any defensive back in NFL history (since sacks became an official stat in 1982), and Seattle went 12-4, tied for the third-best record in team history.

But last year was a step back as Adams had no sacks and a few high-profile times when he was beaten in coverage. Plus, for the second straight year, he suffered a left shoulder injury that required surgery, this time missing the last four games of the season. The injuries are undoubtedly worrisome, but Adams had proven durable before coming to Seattle.

As for his sack totals, Adams was used as a rusher just 5.8% of the time in 2021 compared to 13.2% in 2020, according to Pro Football Focus, and getting Adams more involved in rush packages will be a key focus for new defensive coordinator Clint Hurtt.

Following the news of Adams’ season-ending injury, Seattle coach Pete Carroll defended the trade, noting the production the Seahawks got out of him right off the bat.

“I think he’s been a fantastic get for us,” Carroll said. “I go back to, you get him immediately and he’s playing for you. You pick another guy, then you figure out can he play and how does he do as he transitions into the league? We had an immediate response.”

It’s the response Seattle gets from here on out that will more truly tell the full tale of this one, though.

Bob Condotta: 206-515-5699 or bcondotta@seattletimes.com; on Twitter: @bcondotta. Bob Condotta covers the Seahawks for the Seattle Times. He provides daily coverage of the team throughout the year.

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: This will be an unpopular opinion, but I am good with the Adams trade

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri May 20, 2022 2:35 pm

His shoulder is going to be fucked for the remainder of his career so we' ll probably never know if it was a good trade.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 20, 2022 2:37 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:35 pm
His shoulder is going to be fucked for the remainder of his career so we' ll probably never know if it was a good trade.
I dislocated my shoulder 35 years ago and its still wonky.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri May 20, 2022 2:41 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:37 pm
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:35 pm
I dislocated my shoulder 35 years ago and its still wonky.
Me too, but without the aid of a full time physical therapy staff, I was also able to throw a ball very damn well from the time I was 17 until I hung it up in my mid 40s. The Dr told me when I was 17 I had to have surgery or I would barely be able to throw. Every time it locked up, I would just go to PT and have it loosened up. OBVIOUSLY, I did not take the pounding that Jamaal did, but I also imagine his pain tolerance, and the amount of help he gets, is a shit ton more than mine.

Too early to give up on that guy, IMO.

douche

Post by douche » Fri May 20, 2022 4:10 pm

Clint Hurtt: Seahawks looking to ‘accentuate’ what Jamal Adams does best

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1619975/ ... does-best/
Last edited by douche on Sat May 21, 2022 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri May 20, 2022 5:07 pm

Yeah that, Bryant could be interesting
The pick Seattle got back was easily viewed at the time as a throw-in that turned into Bryant and could also be pretty significant — he’ll have every chance to earn a starting job right away.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Fri May 20, 2022 5:59 pm

Michael I am curious why you think it would be an unpopular opinion? Adams is a stud. Yeah, we overpaid - no question - and that move has PC's paw prints all over it, but that trade felt like the last attempt for Seattle to go "all in" w/RW even though the roster was in decline. Injuries should not be criticized unless you're driving an ATV off a cliff. It's incredible to watch how roster moves are immediately judged - and how so many fans can't or won't allow for the concept of time to pass to let it play out in the bigger picture. What may seem like a bad deal in the short term, can often turn out to be a huge win in the long run - but fans don't recognize that THAT is how a football team is built. Turns out Penny can run, turns out Brooks is a stud, turns out the Adams overpay had a long range benefit no one could have foreseen. Not everything has to have an immediate return. That's what the fans want, and rightfully so, but that's not how you build and run a team. There are still people who cannot understand how dumping Bobby and KJ is the SMART move, or how trading RW was the SMART move. RW may go on to have a great career in DonkeyLand, and that turns my stomach because I hate that franchise so much, but the hard reality is he could not take us anywhere anymore - so you make the painful decision.

Something else people need to acknowledge - last season there was a lot of confusion on the defense early on - a LOT of that was due to the transition into the Bear package - a more 3/4 type alignment along with a lot of new faces on the team. That means different assignments. Players were out of position - but not always the players that appeared to be. Blown assignments can leave Adams high and dry. No one talks about that. A new scheme with new talent is a major change - especially when trying to install it mid-season.

SeattleAddict

Post by SeattleAddict » Fri May 20, 2022 6:46 pm

auroraave wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:59 pm
THAT is how a football team is built. Turns out Penny can run, turns out Brooks is a stud, turns out the Adams overpay had a long range benefit no one could have foreseen. Not everything has to have an immediate return. That's what the fans want, and rightfully so, but that's not how you build and run a team. There are still people who cannot understand how dumping Bobby and KJ is the SMART move, or how trading RW was the SMART move.
I generally agree with your assessment. The thing is we aren't privy to important details, and are fed a line of bullshit, so we don't always know. Of course letting Bobby and KJ were smart moves given their contracts, but it's painful to see great players, leaders, and good humans go. I don't think either was categorized as bad moves, just unfortunate.

RW's situation was different. I, for one, truly believed he wanted to stay, and dismissed those that thought otherwise. In my defense, the media feeds us so much false information that 85% of the time it's right to not believe it. So, when given the new information that RW wanted out and PC tried to talk him into staying, but he wasn't going to sign another contract, of COURSE it was a smart move, and we seem to have gotten a huge ROI (we'll see how it plays out, but on paper it looks good).

This is generally the case with this organization - we see things as dumb moves, but we aren't privy to the behind-the-scenes. This is actually great evidence that the PC/JS system is pretty damn good. When the Jets or Browns or Lions do something stupid, it almost always ends up ACTUALLY being stupid. When we do something 'stupid' it tends to turn out 'not so stupid'. That's not to say there haven't been mistakes - *cough* Collier *cough* - and signings that didn't work out, but GENERALLY they are pretty good at football stuff.

I'm still of the belief we overpaid for Adams, both in trade value and contract, but I love him as a player, and sometimes you have to pay a little more for quality.

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Fri May 20, 2022 10:39 pm

SeattleAddict wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:46 pm
auroraave wrote:
THAT is how a football team is built. Turns out Penny can run, turns out Brooks is a stud, turns out the Adams overpay had a long range benefit no one could have foreseen. Not everything has to have an immediate return. That's what the fans want, and rightfully so, but that's not how you build and run a team. There are still people who cannot understand how dumping Bobby and KJ is the SMART move, or how trading RW was the SMART move.
I generally agree with your assessment. The thing is we aren't privy to important details, and are fed a line of bullshit, so we don't always know. Of course letting Bobby and KJ were smart moves given their contracts, but it's painful to see great players, leaders, and good humans go. I don't think either was categorized as bad moves, just unfortunate.

RW's situation was different. I, for one, truly believed he wanted to stay, and dismissed those that thought otherwise. In my defense, the media feeds us so much false information that 85% of the time it's right to not believe it. So, when given the new information that RW wanted out and PC tried to talk him into staying, but he wasn't going to sign another contract, of COURSE it was a smart move, and we seem to have gotten a huge ROI (we'll see how it plays out, but on paper it looks good).

This is generally the case with this organization - we see things as dumb moves, but we aren't privy to the behind-the-scenes. This is actually great evidence that the PC/JS system is pretty damn good. When the Jets or Browns or Lions do something stupid, it almost always ends up ACTUALLY being stupid. When we do something 'stupid' it tends to turn out 'not so stupid'. That's not to say there haven't been mistakes - *cough* Collier *cough* - and signings that didn't work out, but GENERALLY they are pretty good at football stuff.

I'm still of the belief we overpaid for Adams, both in trade value and contract, but I love him as a player, and sometimes you have to pay a little more for quality.

I don't really know what to make of Wilson's want to stay - I had heard he told them he wouldn't sign an extension and that seemed to be the breaking point. Ultimately, as I see it, Wilson played his way out of Seattle. He no longer seemed all that interested in football - maybe that was just in Seattle - but his priorities changed dramatically over the last few seasons - I don't think anyone can deny that. At that point JS had to determine the asset valuation of Wilson and move him with maximum leverage - and I think Denver was so desperate for a 'name' as a part of the selling of the franchise. I think that was a major incentive for Wilson - I think he wants an ownership stake, and it was clear that would never happen in Seattle, and Denver was the next option up. It's very telling that he didn't demand a team with a particularly stout offense or even an above average offensive line - the usual complaints bandied about in painting him as a victim of PC and JS - he went to a team with a stout defense - the same formula he won with before - and just happens to also be a possible ownership stake - which I think is his bigger picture desire. Now he has to win over the city and get that convo going before the sale happens. I think RW has been looking to life post-football for a while now, knowing he really is Mister Limited after all, but of course, will spew all the rehearsed soundbites that he's 'in it for the long haul' when the reality is he has already been checked out for several years. I would not be surprised at all if Wilson's camp broached the extension idea and tied it to an ownership stake and was rebuffed hard - sending RW's ego out the door.

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Sat May 21, 2022 4:17 am

auroraave wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 10:39 pm
SeattleAddict wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:46 pm
auroraave wrote:

I don't really know what to make of Wilson's want to stay - I had heard he told them he wouldn't sign an extension and that seemed to be the breaking point. Ultimately, as I see it, Wilson played his way out of Seattle. He no longer seemed all that interested in football - maybe that was just in Seattle - but his priorities changed dramatically over the last few seasons - I don't think anyone can deny that. At that point JS had to determine the asset valuation of Wilson and move him with maximum leverage - and I think Denver was so desperate for a 'name' as a part of the selling of the franchise. I think that was a major incentive for Wilson - I think he wants an ownership stake, and it was clear that would never happen in Seattle, and Denver was the next option up. It's very telling that he didn't demand a team with a particularly stout offense or even an above average offensive line - the usual complaints bandied about in painting him as a victim of PC and JS - he went to a team with a stout defense - the same formula he won with before - and just happens to also be a possible ownership stake - which I think is his bigger picture desire. Now he has to win over the city and get that convo going before the sale happens. I think RW has been looking to life post-football for a while now, knowing he really is Mister Limited after all, but of course, will spew all the rehearsed soundbites that he's 'in it for the long haul' when the reality is he has already been checked out for several years. I would not be surprised at all if Wilson's camp broached the extension idea and tied it to an ownership stake and was rebuffed hard - sending RW's ego out the door.
He couldn't have gone all in and bought the M's?????